Notices

Being drunk while sober...

Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being drunk while sober...

Looking back, all the years I drank ( I was an evening drinker), even though I was sober in the day- I wasn't really sober. I was hung over and still had alcohol in my system and I could not think or function as clearly as I do now.

This feeling is always new to me. It feels so different. And the whole time I tricked myself into believing I was sober in the day. Feels nothing like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Makes complete sense
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and that brain fog that took forever to get back to normal (if there is such a thing)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yep i get it
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hate looking back on that. I too was an evening drinker who thought he was sober during the day.

In reality I probably rarely had 0.00 blood alcohol, I was just less drunk during the day.

I'm glad that's no longer the case as I have no idea how much longer I could have "functioned" like that!

Thanks for the post.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alkie

A little off topic, but I've had a few people ask me if I was drunk even after 30 years of sobriety.

Some of the cause is being punch-drunk (I brawled even after getting sober. Hey, I was 24 when I got sober.), but I got to believe there's some serious damage in me noggin from ungodly amounts of booze and exotic illegal drugs.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to call it "elusive clarity" with a cynical laugh. I was almost afraid to stay sober long enough for the fog to completely lift and completely bare the farce and hypocrisy that was much of my life. In the end, my resentments, anger, frustrations or weak will would usually help me avoid complete clarity. I can't believe I spent 27 years with the shutters of the mind down and my blinkers up. Pissed and hangover or just plain miserable, self-absorbed, self-centered and absent. When you count sleep and all the other moments we waste, there's not much time left to write about. Must've been a treat to be around! Now I try to live in the moment, for the moment.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I, too, see that now, especially since I have a 4-year-old child to care for. I've always been physically present for him, and I THOUGHT I was emotionally present, but now I really really see- especially in the MORNINGS- that I was only playing the role of happy, upbeat fun mom. I was faking it through hangovers and cravings. Now when I smile I MEAN it. Now when I sing it's because I WANT to. Before? Not good. Thanks for reminding me of how good I have it now.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by slimjim30 View Post
I hate looking back on that..
Dont hate... look at it as lesson learned. We will not regret the past nor wish to close the door on it. Everything happened for a reason, even though those events werent good. They shaped me into the man I am today. Learning humility after all I've been through made me into a stronger man today as well. I look back and feel good I dont resort to alcohol anymore to have a good time, I can go out and drink pop, sit on a patio with friends and drink pop and not once think about alcohol! To hate what happened is to deny who you are today when sober Just my opinion
Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by THEOjibway View Post
Dont hate... look at it as lesson learned. We will not regret the past nor wish to close the door on it. Everything happened for a reason, even though those events werent good. They shaped me into the man I am today. Learning humility after all I've been through made me into a stronger man today as well. I look back and feel good I dont resort to alcohol anymore to have a good time, I can go out and drink pop, sit on a patio with friends and drink pop and not once think about alcohol! To hate what happened is to deny who you are today when sober Just my opinion
Yes exactly!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. This was an interesting realization for me. I didn't notice that drinking affected me beyond the night of drinking. You fool yourself in that way don't you? *sigh* I think that also helps me stay strong. That one drink isn't just one drink. It will alter my mood for days not only from the mind-altering effects it has on people, but also with my self-esteem and my self-respect.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I drank I never got anything accomplished. I've been dry for 8 months and have got more stuff done around the house and other stuff than I had done in 5 years prior. Oh and now when I spend money I have something to show for it the next day!