Notices

One Year Sober Thinking About Drinking Again

Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You may have had as you say 'one year of hell ', BUT don't pick up now.You will be back even to a worse situation that you were in a year ago - I know, I've done it myself. Don't look back, look FORWARD...... anything is better than pu=icking up now - just wait and see how you are tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberBradd26 View Post
One year of sobriety has been a battle to say the least I have come out of it stronger than I have ever imagined. Today I sit here after one year sober, feeling that I can drink again. I keep thinking that I want to try to drink maybe just one. I dont feel conflict or apprehension just keep reflecting on the last piece of my life that has had any type of weakness wanting to master it not making it a habit like I once did. Not sure why I feel like I'm ready my entire life up to this point having mastered any weakness the only thing I feel is left is alcohol in moderation again after one year of hell!
Thanks for this post Bradd. It is helpful to hear about these thoughts arising in others. From my personal experience as a relapsing remitting drinker, I can say that the allure of starting to drink again has a nice shiny glow to it. Then when I'm down in the muck, nothing is pretty. I think the ultimate mastery is not drinking despite the nice shiny glow, being free from alcohol.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
High on Life

Suppose you could drink again without a care in the world, how would your life change for the better? If you can clearly answer this question for yourself, by all means go for it, but honestly if you think about it, what is it all for?

I know that even if I could drink, that it would not add anything of value to my life. Sure sitting out at BBQ with a few drinks could be a pleasurable afternoon, but what will all that do for me in the long run. If I drink, I still have to worry about driving and all the responsibilities that come with that. I rather not have to worry about all that.

Why not get engaged in something that might actually be a positive influence in your life? Start a new sport, get into the arts, study cooking. So many possibilities out there than just worrying about being able to drink again.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have been exactly where you are now. I had been sober for one year and felt that if I could keep off it that long it had to mean that I didn`t have a problem. 7 years later it has been a roller coaster of ups and downs, just to realize yet again that I just can`t drink. One should have a tape of all the horrible things one has done while drunk, and watch it every time one forgets how bad it really was.

My advice is to not throw away the year of work you have done and focuse on your motivation for quitting in the first place. There was a reason why you quit one year ago, what was that reason?

Wish you all the best!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey SoberBradd. I'm glad you came here to discuss it - hope you'll come back & talk some more about it.

Joe Nerv's post describes exactly what happened to me the last time I decided to have 'just one'. I had been sober for 3 yrs., but went back to hell for 7 more. (That's when I found SR.) I summoned up every ounce of willpower I had - and still my life became chaos once again.

Congratulations on your year of sobriety.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It didn't work for me either, I went right back to square one and beyond.
I hope you make the right decision.

Gxx
Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

usually after a far worse relapse

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post

I went right back to square one and beyond.
for me the return to the drink just did not get no better
I was also back at square one too many times
usually after a far worse relapse

jails
hospitals
and many more broken relationships

onehigherpower
Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Bradd

I think your heads trying to do a number on you.

D
Amen Dee! Bradd, I get it. I totally get it. Stay strong buddy
Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm just going to share my own experience. I stopped drinking at age 27 for one year. Drank when I was 28 and finally stopped again at age 35. Sober six months and now I see it just doesn't work for me to think I can control my drinking. I simply can't. What is sad is the wasted time. And the DUI and ER visit. And that my new marriage is on the rocks over my binge drinking. I'm 20 days sober and I checked myself into a treatment center (outpatient) two weeks ago to stop this insanity that's been going on.

What I see is that life gets worse as I continue to drink. I also lost my alcoholic mother to a drug overdose three years ago, an apparent suicide.

I've seen and been through enough hell to know I can't entertain the idea of casual drinking ever again.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

thereunconfined,
yes, that's what i understood you to be speaking about: your own experience.
i was making a more generalized comment (not a good idea) and your post wasn't what i was referring to.
yes, Bradd, please post and let us know your further thoughts and since i personally am always interested in "the choice-thing" and the control/power issue was huge to me, i'm interested in your talking of "mastery".

hm...when you look as thoroughly as you can: is it about the attempt to master or more about wanting to drink?

in any case, hope you're around and still pondering.