Notices

Selincro

Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Selincro product profile

"Selincro is a small molecule opioid receptor modulator that inhibits the reward pathway in the brain that reinforces the desire and craving for alcohol and other addictive substances. As a result, Selincro targets a novel principle in the treatment of alcohol dependence by removing a person’s desire to drink.

Selincro builds on a novel principle of treating alcohol dependence. Unlike existing therapies, treatment with Selincro is not aimed at keeping the patients from drinking. Instead, Selincro helps to control and limit the intake of alcohol. Selincro distinguishes itself by being available as a tablet formulation to be taken only according to need, ("as needed"), whereas existing pharmaceuticals must be taken continuously over a longer period of time and are aimed at maintaining abstinence.

Selincro is indicated for the reduction of alcohol consumption in adult patients with alcohol dependence who have a high drinking risk level (>60 g/day for men, >40 g/day for women) without physical withdrawal symptoms and who do not require immediate detoxification. Selincro should be prescribed in conjunction with continuous psychosocial support focused on treatment adherence and the reduction of alcohol consumption. Treatment should be initiated only in patients who continue to have a high drinking risk level two weeks after an initial assessment. Selincro is to be taken as-needed; that is, on each day the patient perceives a risk of drinking alcohol, one tablet should be taken, preferably 1-2 hours prior to the anticipated time of drinking."

Selincro

I see no point in taking this. It's not for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wondered about your GP prescribing it as it has not received much press here. Little mention in the medical press too. Mind this could because the company promoting it are not one of the big 5.

GP's are so cost aware now too and have to follow so many prescribing guidelines. I think they end up being so concerned with cost, which is through no fault of their own, that it leads to short term prescribing and the cheapest way of dealing with disease.

There is a website called 'the fix' which has some really good articles and pieces about addiction and recovery. I don't know if you have visited it, but I often read there. It can be lighthearted and quite funny, but also really informative too.

I hope it all goes well for you and you come back and keep us informed.

My best
x
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree Dee74, I never saw this one as something I would like to take long term, but since others may find the thread as I did, I thought it would be useful to record my experiences. I had a bad night as you probably thought I would. I think one of the reasons I find it hard to drink moderately is that when I don’t have enough alcohol to actually knock me out, my sleep is so bad for several days. I have “mild” sleep apnoea and when I reduce alcohol intake it gets worse. I’m not sure if last night was exacerbated by the Selincro or the sleep apnoea or if it was just because I’ve spent more than a year with an intake of 150-180gm alcohol a day. It was not a good night.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Originally Posted by GoodFortune View Post
Thanks for your input. Norway approved Selincro just a few days ago, being the first country in the world that approves it. This new pill reduses the need to drink more and more, and makes it possible to stop after a few glasses. It curbs the release of dopamine, that alcoholics get an excess of when we drink. It is of course not recomended for those that have alcohol related physical problems, or that shouldn`t drink at all for other reasons. I think no matter what I am definately going to give it a chance. I have never drank every day, but excessively in social situations a couple of times a week.

I didn`t mean Subutex, I meant Antabus! Sorry
I would talk to your doctor. From their website, "Selincro is approved in Europe for the reduction of alcohol consumption in adult patients with alcohol dependence who have a high level of alcohol consumption "

From what you said you don't have the clinical definition of dependence.

I've considered taking Naltrexone myelf, but that is an entirely different creature.

Do you feel actual compulsions to slam drinks at public functions?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantata View Post
I agree Dee74, I never saw this one as something I would like to take long term, but since others may find the thread as I did, I thought it would be useful to record my experiences. I had a bad night as you probably thought I would. I think one of the reasons I find it hard to drink moderately is that when I don’t have enough alcohol to actually knock me out, my sleep is so bad for several days. I have “mild” sleep apnoea and when I reduce alcohol intake it gets worse. I’m not sure if last night was exacerbated by the Selincro or the sleep apnoea or if it was just because I’ve spent more than a year with an intake of 150-180gm alcohol a day. It was not a good night.
Why not stick around, now you're here?

One motivation to quit for myself is that drinking causes me sleep problems, after a session I wake at around 4am with a storming headache, acid indigestion, sore throat from snoring and filled with anguish that ive upset someone.

When ive been quit, i wake at 8am with a smile on my face. its really rather nice.

2nd night sober, lets see....
Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful

I did a little googling and Selincro (nalmefene) is similar in both structure and activity to the opiate antagonist naltrexone but with a longer half-life, greater oral bioavailability and no observed dose-dependent liver toxicity. Nalmefene is available in the US under the name Revex, but it is only used in injection form to reverse the effects of opioids after general anesthesia and in the treatment of overdose.

Nalmefene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
jkb

Never used Selincro. Did use Revia (naltroxene) to moderate my drinking. I lasted about a week on it. I dont know if the two are very similar but, here is my experience with Naltroxene...

Took it and waited an hour before starting to drink. In that hour I would feel very dizzy and tired. Overall not good. Then drink. It cut my consumption in half (6 beers or so versus 10-12). Still get kinda drunk but, in a strange-feeling kinda way. The next day EVERYTIME... felt like I had been hit by a truck. I have never had hangovers that terrible in my life.

I threw away my revia a few weeks ago. That simply was not worth it to me. So, in my experience... NOT A GOOD THING. However, when my doctor told me it could change me into a moderate regular drinker... I had to try it for myself. GL
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Last night I was too nervous to take another Selincro pill because I was still feeling the extremely odd effects of the first one on top of the general withdrawal symptoms due to the abrupt reduction in alcohol. I managed to keep to four pints of UK Fosters even so (4%ABV here, which is 73gms of alcohol. Very moderate for me. I cooked the steak I didn't fancy the night before and got to bed at midnight. The dreaming/thinking was still confused but not nearly as bad as the night before. I spent nine hours in bed with the logical parts of my brain able to talk in words to the bits that just make images and I got a little bit of REM sleep but was still tired when I got up. I have chosen the worst possible time to do this - I had to catch the train to London this morning and have three days' work to do down here. Three hours on the train and I spent most of it asleep. I daren't take another full pill today and can't cut one in half because the instructions say not to cut or crush the pills (why?)

I have nearly 12 hours' work to do tomorrow from 8am to 8 pm so I don't want to risk being wiped out and falling asleep over the computer in the office. I think when I finish work this evening I shall restrict myself to four pints again and just hope I sleep more soundly.

On Sunday I don't start work until 3pm so I might try a second pill on Saturday night. In about 10 days' time I have six days off so if I can keep around 60-80gm alcohol a day until then, it would be a good opportunity to try complete abstinence without such bad withdrawal symptoms as I have had so far.

Will write a longer piece than this eventually for my doctor and the drug manufacturers and will put it on the internet somewhere.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I sort of get the idea of wanting a pill to help me be able to drink, but I don't relate to the idea of just wanting two drinks. Rediculous. Why? What for? The idea was to drink 5 slowly. The realty was 7 to 12. I was using alcohol as a substance. The way I did it was just as intense as any other drug binge. I still don't relate to the concept of alcohol as a mere casual relaxant.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Selincro

Hi, I found this thread because I have taken Selincro (nalmefene) for the first time today, about four hours ago in fact. I felt rather odd for the first couple of hours. It reminded me of cannabis, which I haven't touched for years, but not as much fun. In fact I found the experience quite unpleasant for a while. The soles of my feet were itching badly and I was what I can only describe as a bit zonked. It struck me that maybe the way the drug worked was to make you feel so uncomfortable you just went to bed.

Anyway, I am not being fair on it because it is the first time I have taken it and I was rather foolish because I was working at the time doing remote work for an employer on my computer. I was able to complete what I was doing and then requested a break - the reason I had taken the pill was that the instructions tell you to take a pill 1-2 hours before you intend to drink.

I went out and had one pint of lager where I would normally have had two pints (in the UK a pint of beer counts as two units of alcohol). That was partly because I was woozy, partly because I was moving quite slowly and carefully and partly because I had to be back at my computer in half an hour.

I have since returned and the wooziness has reduced somewhat. I have just finished my shift and am now going out again. To drink between 20 and 24 units of alcohol would not be abnormal for me. I am going to try to stick to no more than 10 units today, which is probably about twice what I think is sensible and about three times what the UK Government recommends. Tell you later how it goes.

Selincro has just been licensed for use in the UK (it is May 29, 2013 and it was licensed about two weeks ago). By the way, I would not recommend trying limited drinking to anyone other than someone who is already drinking heavily and wants to reduce or stop or who wants to reduce at first and then stop. It would not be a good idea for an abstinent former alcoholic to try to treat it as a route back to "moderate" drinking.
Same here, just took it for the first time.
It seems to replicate the more unpleasant effects of a slight-moderate high.
Slightly unplesant, but manageable, though I would not want to be surprised by this away from home.

Will post more after more tries, the effects should go away with prolonged use.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Last night I was too nervous to take another Selincro pill because I was still feeling the extremely odd effects of the first one on top of the general withdrawal symptoms due to the abrupt reduction in alcohol. I managed to keep to four pints of UK Fosters even so (4%ABV here, which is 73gms of alcohol. Very moderate for me. I cooked the steak I didn't fancy the night before and got to bed at midnight. The dreaming/thinking was still confused but not nearly as bad as the night before. I spent nine hours in bed with the logical parts of my brain able to talk in words to the bits that just make images and I got a little bit of REM sleep but was still tired when I got up. I have chosen the worst possible time to do this - I had to catch the train to London this morning and have three days' work to do down here. Three hours on the train and I spent most of it asleep. I daren't take another full pill today and can't cut one in half because the instructions say not to cut or crush the pills (why?)

I have nearly 12 hours' work to do tomorrow from 8am to 8 pm so I don't want to risk being wiped out and falling asleep over the computer in the office. I think when I finish work this evening I shall restrict myself to four pints again and just hope I sleep more soundly.

On Sunday I don't start work until 3pm so I might try a second pill on Saturday night. In about 10 days' time I have six days off so if I can keep around 60-80gm alcohol a day until then, it would be a good opportunity to try complete abstinence without such bad withdrawal symptoms as I have had so far.

Will write a longer piece than this eventually for my doctor and the drug manufacturers and will put it on the internet somewhere.
Thanks for sharing.
Really should have read this before popping my first pill today
Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi All. Just wondered if anyone has any follow up on their experience with Selincro. I saw on the BBC that it is now being prescribed in Scotland on the NHS. I have previously taken Revia but didn't stick with it due to side effects (hypertension) and difficulty in obtaining it (GP would not prescribe it, so got it online). I am 6 weeks sober but my pattern is almost exactly as described by cantata. I have been able to give up for extended periods but eventually go back to it and volumes increase until it is no longer sustainable financially or health-wise and then the circle begins again. I'm male and 50 by the way.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Selinco Nalmefene

Hi,

Thought I will give a quick experience of a very close friend taking Nalmefene which might help others decide if it may help them,

Over 4yrs HIS.
Drinking habit was getting progressively, units of alcohol averaged 100-150 weekly depending on shift's.

First day experience with Nalmefene,, consumed the pill 3 hours before had planned the usual bender, after 1 hour felt a bit strange and a little out of body type of feeling where time can pass you bye.

between 2 an 3 hours no desire to start session and quite happy bedded early and watch TV albeit a little fuzzy headed.(MASSIVE)

The next morning still no notion for a drink which was very unusual and wonder what to do with all the drink in house.(popped another pill incase)

Latter same day well overdue on binge time an still no desire for a drink(CRAZY)

Had a really nice home meal planned and during cooking was first time not have a glass of red in hand(gob smacked).

Since this was a cut down drug and not abstinence with no desire for a drink
decided to try what a drink might trigger from within,

Poured the red into the glass took a small sip very nice tasting wine but
nothing much else happened,

First time can recall a glass lasting about 20 mins during the consumption of meal, the entire time could of taken or left it or just been happy with ribena juice, but the taste was good but nothing special.

From what I gather the drug stops excess dopamine from happening hence dull response to the drink, the alcohol still taste nice but happy there was no rush which usually end 3 btls after in a rather guzzling fashion.

Been 3 day's since last tablet(only taken 2) and there is no real desire which was tormenting before, Think it's due to feeling a little in control if the desire gets to much then can just pop a pill, Like when a smoker quits but keeps 2 cigs handy it stops there brain from panicking.

Can post weekly how he get's on if it helps someone else great, I feel for first time I have some hope, you only take the pill when planning a drink and also it coincides with some therapy.

Scotland the drug is avail there through NHS, but it's a case by case basis and from what I believe this drug will not help you STOP drinking.

It's marketed for cutting down,

Bye for now Scotsguy.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks scotsguy. Please do report back with updates if you have the time. This drug may give hope to those of us that have no real desire to give up, just to be able to drink in moderation. The rush you mention is very familiar to me and the Revia I took did seem to blunt the effect. Just a shame that I was not able to stick with it due to the side effects. The Selinco is not available where I am but if I keep hearing favourable reports I may try and get some online like I did with the Revia in the hope that the side effects are not as bad. Thanks again for posting.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm not interested in taking a pill or combination of pills that will help me moderate my drinking, and I doubt there's a force in nature that can slow me down before I drink myself unconscious.

Naltrexone and other drugs only seem to help people drag out the suffering until the inevitable demise.

There's also a danger in the placebo effect. If I drank safely a few times because my doctor tells me that this drug will help me to do just that, then I continue drinking in moderation until I start drinking 'round-the-clock again. And I can never know what my next relapse will bring.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Goodfortune,
Let us know how it goes.
For me it would have to also get rid of violent drunks in bars , the cops following me home when i thought i was 'ok to drive' and the looks of devastation on the faces of my loved ones when i broke the sad news that i had 'found a way to drink safely'.....
But i think that i got beyond the help of a human power/pill.
The whole moderation thing scares an alky of my type.
Be safe.
G