Notices

Finding it very hard to quit

Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallgirl613 View Post
I tried doing the same thing. Drank on average 8-10 drinks a day (sometimes more). On a few occasions, I got myself down to 4 drinks a day but it didn't last. I'd always increase my drinking again (and pretty quickly). That's what scared me. For me, I've discovered, it's either all or nothing. I can't moderate my drinking. Once I start, I can't stop until I pass out (doesn't help that I would mix it with benzos too).
I'm very, very new to the whole sober thing, but for me I've learned that I just had to stop-completely. So, I guess my motivation to stop after 2 days of 4 drinks per day was knowing that I'd always wind up back right where I started because I knew it wouldn't last.
By the way, hang in there with the withdrawal symptoms. You'll feel like poop for a few days but it does get better. I needed Librium for my withdrawals, but I was drinking more than you. It does get better though. Promise!
I found it very hard to cut down too. I used to start drinking at 7pm. But I was working late for a month and I couldn't make it home until 9pm. By the time I was getting home early again the habit had been broken and I wasn't addicted to getting drunk at 7pm anymore. I was happy enough with my few beers after 9pm. Which I am quitting now.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So, I am back off the beer. It wasn't a withdrawal that I was suffering from. I was dehydrated or something. But I got the thought of withdrawal into my head and freaked out. I am not going to have a problem staying off it in the long term. I have broken the habit by going to the gym and dieting. But there are plently of support groups that I am aware off that I will get involved in. If I ever do have trouble staying off it.