Notices

Physical Symptoms: In Denial

Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical Symptoms: In Denial

Day 2 sober. Woo hoo! Going to rehab on Friday. Anyway, over the past few months (when my drinking was at it's worst and I was mixing benzos) I started getting really weird symptoms. Numbness in my fingers and toes, balance problems (and I mean I can't straight half the time even when I'm sober. I bump into things and drop things constantly). I also have horrible memory problems...often can't recall things I did or said moments before. And the most embarrassing:urinary incontinence. I actually bring Poise pads with me because I pee my pants sometimes (not a lot, but enough). The shame!
So, over the past few weeks I've seen neurologists, rhuemtologists, and my health is in the clear. Brain MRI is fine (shocking), spinal tap, blood work and abdominal ultrasound were fine (and I had TONS of different blood tests). I am in perfect health apparently. Not a gosh darn thing wrong with me at 34 years old. So, my doctors are still shaking their heads trying to figure out what's wrong with me, but of course I never told them I have a drinking problem. Obviously, I've been in denial because it's taken 2 days of sobriety for me realize this. These problems are most likely related to my drinking. Ugh, how can I fess up? And did I really do long-lasting damage to my body?
I'm still having these symptoms and I'm not expecting them to go away overnight. I also know this forum is not to be used for medical advice; however I'm just wondering if any of you have ever in denial that the physical symptoms you were experiencing were not related to your alcohol abuse.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 days. I also did alot of benzos while drinking, I had the same memory issues it just takes time but EVERYTHING will get better. I went to rehab when I was 28 it is really good to 'get away' and just learn about addiction and focus on your own recovery. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. Yes, I experienced symptoms but was totally in denial. I had really bad digestion problems, and I also experienced a lot of swelling of my hands and feet - especially on morning walks trying to shake off a hangover. I also would wake up shaking, in cold sweats, and would tremble. Cuts and bruises took a long time to heal. My skin was dry and coming off in patches. I still denied the signs. At 37 years old I had 3 grand mal seizures which put me in the hospital, eventually detox and treatment.

I am just 9 months sober but I feel so great and all the problems have since disappeared. Treatment saved my life, I am sure of it. It was scary going into it, but I also made light of it just to try and find some humor in it - at least publicly to my parents, family etc. But it was super meaningful and powerful. I made a deal with myself to DO THE WORK and follow directions, do what's asked of me. Have you been before? This is a huge opportunity, so I recommend you try and keep your head down and learn something. There is a huge challenge once you are released also, but this will be the foundation to help you grow. I hope this helps and I really wish you all the best! I hope you post when you return.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

See a doctor now and have yourself checked for possible nutritional needs.....
Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always in denial about the things that were wring with me and the obvious connection to my drinking and drug taking.

The best doctors in the world can;t really help you with only half the story fallgirl.

It really is in your best interests to go back and tell them the whole deal. I know it won't be a pleasant thing to do but - down the road aways - you'll thank yourself for doing it

D
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. Denial! IMO, that is one of the most insidious and baffling things about active addiction. I could feel the symptoms. If honest, with myself I even knew they were drinking related. However, I could somehow write it off or not think about it and I could go right on drinking. How insane is that!? No "normal" person would do that. It only took about a week of not drinking before the insanity of these actions became obvious even to me and they were also quite regretful. Something about active addiction though that can allow us to ride that insanity elevator straight to "hell". It is also hard for other to watch us do it, I am sure.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I had the opposite problem to you fallgirl. I was convinced all my health problems were caused by drinking and I was honest with my doctors about my drinking, but it still took a long time for a medical professional to tell me to quit. I kept thinking I was getting away with it and because they didn't draw the parallel I thought I'd be okay, plus I was finding it really hard to quit... Anyway the point was, after months of sober time my nerve problems started to get much better and are not noticeable at all now. I hope you find the same thing x
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
See a doctor now and have yourself checked for possible nutritional needs.....
Actually, I got checked for lots of vitamin deficiencies and I checked out ok. I was quite surprised to say the least.

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I hope you post when you return.
I'm doing intensive outpatient (yes, I got in), so you'll be hearing a lot from me!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just want to say good luck, stay sober and tell your doctors the truth!

I hope they figure out what is going on. Benzo's and booze is a really bad mix.

Be well, stay focused, get healthy!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck with IOP, I did the same and found it very helpful to get thru the first 4-6 weeks. I also did a 12-16 week Relapse Prevention Program at the same place after IOP, they may have one at yours too. Glad your on your journey, great things await you!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Fallgirl, I had some similar issues, presumably neurological, when my drinking was at its worst. The main ones were balance issues like you described and my handwriting steadily became pretty much illegible.

Those symptoms did go away - the balance steadily came back over a few days as I detoxed and the handwriting took a little longer, but it steadily improved and after maybe 10 days or so it was back to normal.

This may or may not have anything to do with your symptoms. Just sharing a somewhat similar experience.

Be honest with your docs. They can't give you a proper diagnosis without all the facts.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Definitely! I kept going to the doctors with kidney infections, I had 4 courses of antibiotics and it didn't go away (although magically disappeared when i stopped drinking).
I didn't go to the doctors about the fact I was throwing up blood, or had numbness in my fingers and toes, shaking, fevers. Cos I thought they'd try and tell me it was related to alcohol. Denial! It was all related to alcohol. I'm 8months sober now, not quite good as new, but I'm getting there.
Be as honest as you can with the doctors. They can't help you unless they know what is wrong. Easier said than done, maybe write it down and give it to them?