Notices

Publicity after alcohol-related incident

Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Publicity after alcohol-related incident

My local news has been focused on a very high-ranking county official who was caught driving drunk with an open bottle of vodka in her lap. Apparently she was driving back home, after just having purchased it in the wee hours of the morning. People are now saying that it's been rumored that she's an alcoholic.

Have any of you (or anyone you've known) experienced this kind of publicity after an alcohol-related incident? Fortunately, I've never had any sort of alcohol-related arrest or citation, but I imagine this is humiliating and adds an extra layer of difficulty to the recovery process. Surely, she'll have to start some sort of rehabilitation program, and it has to be harrowing to know that the public is watching her every step.

Please note that I'm not condoning her actions in any way. She could have killed someone, and she certainly had the money to call a taxi. What she did was wrong, and she deserves the punishment (and recovery services) that will surely be handed to her.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can't say that I've been through anything publically like that . I couldn't imagine the guilt and embarrassment. I felt enough shame and remorse for the stuff my circle knew about.
Although it is going to be rough at first, maybe this is what she needed. If she takes it the right way it could be a blessing that this happened. Without some consequences many people never face the truth.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
...I imagine this is humiliating and adds an extra layer of difficulty to the recovery process.
How so?

Addiction lives in the shadows, and protected as a secret it thrives. Exposing it now forces the person to do something about it. Or maybe not. They can choose not to, but have to be prepared for the consequences of not doing anything.

I think the only thing hindering the recovery process in any alcoholic is the alcoholic themselves.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
How so?

I think the only thing hindering the recovery process in any alcoholic is the alcoholic themselves.
In other words "ya gutta wanna". That worked for me. BE WELL
Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I disagree with most people here.
that women is a politician, that is why the news ran a story on her. Look at Bill clinton, do you really think any news media would run a story on a normal guy cheating on his wife with a young office intern and his cigars? matter in fact no on really cared. but when you are a politician, then your dirty laundry will be aired for all to see.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is up to her. Denial, ego, pride, can be major roadblocks for a perfect chance to change. Or, maybe it's her bottom, and she will get the help she needs or wants.

Completely her responsibility.

My name appeared in newspapers many times, and I chose to remain sick. It wasn't until a short drunken hurtful note to my children hurting them deeply that I chose sobriety.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh boy, my stuff is all over the streets. I still am sick about what I did and that everyone knows what an alchoholic I am and know of my several stays in rehab. Most of this is ego driven, only because I want everyone to think I am a decent person. Most of this is just the social stigma of the addiction. She will have to learn the lesson or it will repeat itself until learned. It's just the nature of the beast.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I live in a glass house so I don't throw stones.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Years ago, when I had an AA home group, a friend of mine was a judge. He was caught shoplifting, it was a small town and hit the front page, pictures and all.

I remember him coming to the meeting the day after the papers. He had his hat on, kinda covering his face, but everyone welcomed him and gave him support. Last I heard, he had gotten back on track and that news was ancient history.

I've always admired him for coming to the meeting when his face/story was plastered all over the paper.

In the county I live in, there are SEVERAL public people in trouble for drugs or alcohol. I don't know them, but in all honesty, I just see them as one of us...someone who has a serious issue with drugs or alcohol, and I wish them the best at finding recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I can speak at length about this topic. And unfortunately, because it's my experience, I can't compare it to anyone else's. I can say this. Having your life exposed and examined is unbelievably painful, and having it played out on a larger scale definitely adds a layer of pain and frustration. People can be very judgmental, even when they don't have all the facts. And it's hard to separate the people who really want to help from those who just want "the dish".

When the public opinion and your popularity (and therefore your livelihood) are on the line, it certainly feels like problems and issues are amplified.

I am no better than any other one of us, and again this is my experience only.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

Stories like this really catch my heart. Not because drinking and driving isn't serious, but because people treat alcoholism as a joke. I feel the same way with celebrities on drugs... it's too easy to laugh at it when you don't know what it feels like.

I would move as far away as possible if it happened to me, but then again I would also avoid even local fame at all costs because I hate feeling scrutinized!

Anyway, I hope the woman gets the help she needs and that the local press is as respectful as possible...
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Our local newspaper now publishes on their website mugshots from every arrest in the county.

It shouldn't be allowed. Just because you're arrested doesn't mean you're guilty.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
How so?
Well....would you want to be on TV and in the newspapers when you had your last meltdown? I totally see your point on saying: "in the long run, this will be for the best"....but doggone it, carl, we can all admit that this must make life pretty rough. A private family talk and a trip to treatment would have been preferred, I think we can all agree on that. Otherwise I viewed your words as helpful etc!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Well....would you want to be on TV and in the newspapers when you had your last meltdown? I totally see your point on saying: "in the long run, this will be for the best"....but doggone it, carl, we can all admit that this must make life pretty rough. A private family talk and a trip to treatment would have been preferred, I think we can all agree on that. Otherwise I viewed your words as helpful etc!
"A private family talk and a trip to treatment would have been preferred, I think we can all agree on that."

How many private family talks did it take for you to seek help with your drinking? I would imagine this family, like mine, struggled for years with my addictions and drinking. Lucky for me, I quit before I did something newsworthy, like kill someone while drinking and driving.

No one wants their dirty laundry aired in the media, and I have all kinds of issues with how we cover our officials. But this is a public offical. Key word, PUBLIC. There should be no surprise that a story like this, a drinking-related incident, would be picked up and run with. Knowledge that this could happen didn't deter the person. Who knows if getting caught will result in recovery. I sure hope so.

The most unfortunate thing is that if this person does quit drinking and turns her life around...it will not be covered by the press.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
All is Change

Yes, but in time it can be covered by the grapevine and become an example. In the meantime, vote for someone else next time, finance (buy) the best media sources et.c. whatever it takes for people to have the best people in authority. Things will flow from that. For now : don't drink.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Let's please just be sure that anything we post here or anywhere on SR won't add to the stress and publicity. For all we know, that same public figure may be on this site looking for help. Let's make sure she feels welcome. (and all others for that matter.)