Notices

Advice Please

Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Please

I work in a dangerous environment. Sometimes it explosive hazards, sometimes at heights of up to 100 feet, operate heavy mobile equipment...ect. We have a new employee and it's obvious he's an alcoholic. I smelled liquor on him last week. He sweats profusely and it's not even hot here yet. I was showing him around and he was looking all anxious. It got close to lunch but we don't take lunch at a set time. When we get to a stopping point we eat. He came up with an excuse to go out to the parking lot and said he'd be back after lunch. I suspect he went out and hit the bottle.
I know through my own experience what he's going through. Three years ago I was straight with management about my drinking problem and they gave me the time off to sober up. He's new and still in his probationary period. If I rat on him they'll just fire him. I don't want that but I sure as hell don't want him getting himself or somebody else killed. I don't know what to do.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Tell him if he does drink to stop and if he doesn't report him and tell him you will do so. Also give him a list of numbers to call.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I don't know what to do.
I think you do know.

It's not easy. You'll feel bad. But think how you'll feel if you don't say something and someone is hurt.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's probationary for a reason. Your responsibility is not just to him, but to your employers and co-workers. Do the right thing. You can suggest to him that there is a solution without exposing yourself...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i once worked in a situation like you that had its dangers, but not as much as yours. this guy drove a fork lift and came close to hitting people so many times. so anonymous letter was slid under several managers doors especially the safety managers. matters were handled relatively quickly.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

In situations like this you have to take into account the personal safety of others. I would never out someone outright for no reason, but if my life and others are in danger because of their drinking then you can bet your butt that I will send an anonymous message to my supervisors. You don't play around with lives.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you go to the BIG BOOK there is a chapter that will help you in addressing this very issue