Notices

Problem drinking vs. Alcoholism

Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Problem drinking vs. Alcoholism

I'm just wondering if people here could clarify the difference between proble drinking and alcoholism? For instance I've been reading that one can be a problem drinker and still abuse alcohol, whereas in fact they may not be alcoholics. For instance among the criteria listed for alcohol addiction are,

(a) A physical dependency on alcohol which can result in dangerous symptoms such as hallucinations, along with sickness, shaking upon withdrawal.

(b) The need to drink everyday.

(c) Drinking first thing in the morning.

I don't have, or do any of the above three, and tend to drink sometimes out of boredom or frustration. So could it be that I'm a problem drinker, or is there more to alcoholism that such criteria? I know I said I had cravings, but I can't distinguish between whether or not they are physical cravings, or simply the desire to get drunk.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no longer drinking for fun and excitement

two quick questions

has liquor ceased to be a luxury ?
and now
become a necessity ?

if so you are in the right place

onehigherpower

from the AA Big Book
(p. 5, par. 2) 'Liquor ceased to be a luxury; it became a necessity. ' Now we're no longer drinking for fun and excitement. We're now drinking to live, because we absolutely have to.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onehigherpower View Post
two quick questions

has liquor ceased to be a luxury ?
and now
become a necessity ?

if so you are in the right place

onehigherpower

from the AA Big Book
(p. 5, par. 2) 'Liquor ceased to be a luxury; it became a necessity. ' Now we're no longer drinking for fun and excitement. We're now drinking to live, because we absolutely have to.
I'm not sure what you mean, but when I do drink I still enjoy it - but I sometimes get a niggling in my head for a few drinks........so I don't know where that leaves me?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I beleive problem drinkers are just at a different stage in the alcohol elevator that goes down, some get there quicker than others, others get there very quick. Very much mantra from the Alan Carr line of thinking, but its what I beleive.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to be fascinated with this question. I used to see an 'alcoholic' as someone who would have to stop drinking forever so I tried my best to avoid applying the term to myself. After my elaborate description to my doctor, my drinking problem was described as 'non dependent alcohol abuse'. Which was all fine and dandy until I started getting withdrawal symptoms and it became obvious that I was physically dependent. Because I have always been mentally dependent on alcohol no matter what I tried to kid myself otherwise. The physical side of it was just the icing on the cake.

I am not sure the question is even very relevant. Medical professionals never use the word alcoholic any more. A lot of recovery methods don't use the term either. And although the debates are fascinating it became really irrelevant to me because I had to quit drinking. I had no choice over that really. I still wonder if I am really an alcoholic sometimes but it is a moot point because I can't drink anymore. Even if you are at a stage (and it's always a stage, it only ever gets worse) where you can drink there will come a point where something will force your hand and you'll have to quit whether your an alcoholic or not.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Stop drinking and getting high with weed (and anything else not prescribed) for a few months, if everything is better and wonderful, alcohol/weed was the problem, so don't drink/smoke and you won't have any problem.

If you stop drinking for a few months and you feel irritable, restless and discontent and life generally sucks, then alcoholism is the problem so don't drink and find a method of recovery to follow.

There is a way out for alcoholism.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Trying to categorize a drinking problem is tricky. The important thing is that you're taking some steps to see what's out there. Check around the forums, read some feedback. You sound like you are trying to get a hold of this thing. Welcome and I encourage you to stick around.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When alcohol becomes a solution... to those thoughts and feelings that we don't know what to with and the need to get rid of them and we know no other way... Everything from anger, disappointment, and, well, yes... I think boredom counts, if alcohol becomes our only solution.

That's how I see it, anyway. Not how much we drink, or whether we get into trouble like problem drinkers do... but why.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I think boredom counts, if alcohol becomes our only solution.

That's how I see it, anyway. Not how much we drink, or whether we get into trouble like problem drinkers do... but why.
I agree with you Mark, good point. "Boredom drinking" was the norm for me - it never occurred to me that others wouldn't do it. Most people just go about their down-time sober and don't even think about drinking.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It would be nice if there were a blood test that would tell us that we were alcoholic if we went above a certain number, but alas, there is no such thing. And probably never will be. Although if what I learned in pharmacology classes is true, there actually could/should be. Something about the way alcoholics process acetaldeyde...

I don't know where you dug up your criteria for what defines an alcoholic, but I know lots and lots of alcoholics that didn't drink every day, didn't drink in the morning, and didn't fall to pieces when they stopped drinking. What they did though was continually get drunk regardless of how many times they promised themselves they never would again. And many of them had the ability to quit for weeks at time, or drink only on weekends.

Just my opinion, but what I think seperates the problem drinker from the alcoholic is the ability to stop when things get bad. My wife, who is not alcoholic did her share of messy drinking, and drugs too... yet when things started to get ugly, she stopped. She can now have a glass of wine from time to time, a occasional stronger drink, but in the 16 years I've known her I think I've only seen her drink more than one drink less than 5 times.

If someone is getting into trouble, really wants to stop, and can't - I think that they could safely label themself alcoholic. If they can quit it with no more effort than quitting any other nasty habit, then perhaps they're problem drinkers, and lucky to get out when they do. I also believe that problem drinking is a stage of alcoholic progression. If someone has a problem, and does nothing about it, over time... well...

Oh yeah, I heard recently that if you spend most of your time thinking about drinking, or thinking about NOT drinking... then you're an alcoholic. Non alcoholics aren't thinking about it.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I did not experience any of the 3 things the Original Poster (OP) listed. I was stuck on the word "alcoholic" and actively sought to prove to myself and others there was no problem.

Here is what ended up to be my guidelines as to whether it was truly a problem for me or not.

1. It caused conflict in my marriage

2. It was never enough. There always had to be "one more". I would frequently choose the restaurant we would go to because I knew they had a bar.

3. The final drunken episode made it clear to me I had a problem.

Your mileage may vary... but it's not necessarily the guy with 3 DUI's drinking out of a paper sack who is the only one with the problem.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As the guardian angel that answered the phone at AA and gently guided me into the rooms told me "If you have to ask, the odds are high you have a problem."

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. I caught myself early enough before things got bad, but looking back, I was playing on the Slippery Slide to hell.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I go with....."if you have to ask.....then yes" that goes for family members questioning other family members as well IMO
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree with what the Big Book says.
"If when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely or if when drinking you have little or no control over the amount you take, you are probably an alcoholic."

This statement focuses on choice and control.
Have you ever made the choice to quit and found yourself unable to do it? Or have you ever set out to drink one or 2 and accidentally got drunk?

I also agree with Sugarbear, Mark75 and JoeNerv. A problem drinker can put down the drink and life gets better with no additional treatment. The internal condition of an alcoholic who puts down a drink and does nothing else seems to get worse and worse. Anxiety, restlessness, irritability, boredom, anger, depression etc all seem to increase until the alcoholic can once again get some relief either from drinking or from working a program of recovery.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea, I agree with bbthumper. Also, if the thought of giving up drinking for a period of time, say 30 days (much less forever), sounds like a nightmare, you probably are an alcoholic.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sally1009

When I first went to AA I asked the same question to an old timer. He looked at me kindly, and replied, "When your drinking is costing you more than money"...
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am in exactly the same boat as you...I find myself drinking out of boredom, or too much when I go out. Yet I have no problem making it through the day without drinking, and I don't physically crave drinking. I saw a therapist today and she told me that I abuse alcohol to the point of being concerning, but that I am in no way reliant on it or an alcoholic. I guess I wouldn't worry about labels...(which is hard, I know). Just take a step back and ask if your drinking is causing problems in your life.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Many of my friends had no idea that I was an alcoholic, one denies it to this day, my wife likes to imply that I just quit to stop paying for wine. After well over a year on the wagon I absolutely know that I was on that elevator down. I don't just glimpse terrifying moments of clarity now, I can look at hours of it at will. Now I know this:If there is a difference between problem drinking and alcoholism then problem drinking has got to be one of the most stupid games that I could imagine playing. Alcoholism, or whatever you want to call it, is for real.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My username corresponds to your dilemma and I can definitely relate:
1. In my mind, I don't "have" to drink everyday but I do "allow" myself 2 per day;
2. Sometimes, that 2 turns to 3, 4, 5 with no need for me to justify;
- after a few, I start "thinking" of things that I wouldn't be thinking about if I hadn't
drank;
- sometimes, I act on those thoughts and risk "trouble" on multiple fronts;
3. Rarely, do I miss my drinking appointment;
4. Quitting is easy - I've done it twice for 6 months straight;
5. During those times that I've quit, alcohol crosses my mind practically each and every minute. It is that psychological struggle that I find most difficult;

Now I'm back. If I don't have a problem, why am I continually reaching out for support?
At this point, I cannot find a reason to drink BUT I do.

I've reached a milestone birthday recently and here I go again - starting day 2 without a drink.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If one feels it is a problem, if one questions it is a problem then it is, for whatever the reason even absent of visible consequences. How another wishes to label from then on really has no baring … does it, hell should it?