Notices

The Longest sober stretch in 30 Years...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Longest sober stretch in 30 Years...

I am still reflecting on that, absorbing it and try to comprehend it. I first came to this realization yesterday while I was talking to my therapist. I told him how my first experience with Alcohol was a blackout at the tender age of 8 and he looked shocked and quickly added it to his notes. I then reflected that I started what would become a weekly to monthly habit by the time I was 13. That was when I counted back and realized. There has rarely been a time since then that I have gone longer than 1 month without drinking anything.

Uncharted territory for me and I didn't notice it until I reflected back. Thinking back that far is scary how long I abused myself. Of course my therapist suggested abuse through neglect that my parents never were watching me but I countered in self deprecation. I always wanted to get high from the moment I could, maybe I could have been steered in the right direction had they been there but I just never really cared.

I just never saw it another way for all those years but now as I get into the longest sober stretch in my life since I began drinking it surprises me to look back.

I am happy for myself but sort of bewildered by the thought of it. I have never really known another way and I now I am beginning to...

Have a great sober weekend everyone.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too Sudz

D
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
I have never really known another way and I now I am beginning to...
Powerful acknowledgement, and I think a statement that applies to many people. Simple to take the easy road even though the consequences of that path are so damaging for many.

I'm now two weeks into deciding to live differently. I reflected back in a similar manner recently, realizing for the better part of the last ten years there probably have only been a handful of weeks when alcohol was not a major part of my existence. Sure, I've accomplished much but I wonder what else I might have done without this anchor weighing me down?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you for this huge accomplishment, Sudz. I leaned on it for 30 yrs. too - and now I don't know why I was so afraid to let go. It's wonderful to be free.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I started weekly binge drinking at age 14. Gradually became a daily drinker. Almost 30 years total. Sobriety is SO much better.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is a milestone - well done. My longest sober period in 25 years was six weeks and that was because of major surgery and recovery. Three weeks was about as much as I could handle otherwise. It was a shock to realize I'd got past 6 weeks after taking it one day at a time. That really is the trick. Contemplating a whole life without booze was unimaginable. Even setting a target of a month was a challenge and fraught with doubt and despair. Waking up every day and saying "today I won't drink" works for me. I'll deal with tomorrow when it becomes today.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

What really gets me sometimes is thinking about how every new day is now my longest period of sobriety since I was 11.

I do not know why lol.

Enjoy your weekend too
Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today's Muse