Notices

moving through the steps fast

Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

moving through the steps fast

I met with my sponsor for the first time today and already completed step one. This time it is so different no workbooks or packets to complete. Doing it based of the big book and 12 by 12. Next week going to meet and do step 2. She wants me to move through the steps at a quick pace. That is probably a good idea for me will keep me from drinking. Im so used to doing packets and workbooks though so it is weird just doing it based of the big book.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think there is really a set timetable for going through the steps. However, I think the biggest part is that you are honest throughout the whole process. Being honest is time consuming within itself. I told my sponsor that I need to do it right this time, and that meant doing the 12 steps. I've never gone through all the steps, and I think the furthest I got was the 6th step.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

going too fast can have the same results as going too slow. 2 of the main things to do is have a thorough undertanding of the step and the principle of the step and how it is practiced.

i am very glad to see that yer simplifying it. it doesnt get any simpler that as it is written in the big book. we are complicated thinkers as is.
i do believe that dr bob said to bill w, something to the effect," lets not screw this up by complicating it."
Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

and ya prolly feel its weird because its so simple!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I love to complicate things but I sure have to get used to not using the packets. Im not sure what to write the packets had questions that got me thinking.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

You can always grab those packets later and work with those questions with your sponsor after working the steps with the big book. Use them when you study the big book and steps. I need to continue to learn and grow....
Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Steps 1-7 should flow one after the other.
I pretty well did those in the first three months.
I've been doing steps 8-12 since then.
The process of listing people I've harmed is a dynamic thing. Sometimes I recall someone I missed and realize I really let down. Step 9 I've been doing slowly. There is no rush but I never rationalize skipping someone because of pride or "well he deserved it" etc. Steps 8 and 9 are about fixing the past. Its important.
Steps 10-12 are really just maintenance steps that I try to live every day and will live everyday till hopefully I die. These steps drive a cycle of continuous improvement in your life. I call it a spiritual development. When I've stuffed up I admit it and ask my HP for strength and guidance. I may be critical of my behavior through the day and fess it readily and make a commitment to change but I never beat myself up or berate myself like I used to. Remember to be gentle on yourself.
Step 11 is a daily practice of meditation and prayer. Its a personal thing and other than tips on how to relax, focus and concentrate in a mindful way, its something I've had to teach myself. I'm not into finding a Guru. My relationship with my HP is my own. Find your own way.
Everyday by helping others, being honest and thoughtful, by being mindful and even by writing here I'm doing Step 12. There are no hard and fast rules for the Steps and I don't do them perfect but I do them right for me. There is no rush. If I'm sober and putting my relationship with my HP and my sobriety first everyday, its working and everything fall into place. Its a journey. Enjoy the ride that has no end.