Notices

April is Alcohol Awareness Month in the USA

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

April is Alcohol Awareness Month in the USA

I am a federal employee, so I received this notice recently about Alcohol Awareness Month
Things You Can Do to Prevent Alcohol Abuse

Drinking too much alcohol increases the risk of health-related problems like injuries, violence, liver disease, and some types of cancer, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The good news is we can all do our part to prevent alcohol abuse.

This April, we’re recognizing the continuing epidemic across the United States with Alcohol Awareness Month. Make a difference by spreading the word about strategies for preventing alcohol abuse and encourage your family and community to get involved. Get your Alcohol Awareness Month Toolkit today and consider these ideas to raise awareness and take action toward a solution:

• Encourage friends or family members to make small changes, like keeping track of their drinking and setting drinking limits.
• Share tips with parents on talking with their kids about the risks of alcohol use.
• Ask doctors and nurses to talk to their patients about the benefits of drinking alcohol only in moderation.

http://healthfinder.gov/NHO/PDFs/AprilNHOtoolkit.pdf
I'm a natural born cynic, so I have a bias going in - but this strikes me as a waste of time and money. If it helps one person stay away from (or recover from an addiction to) drugs or alcohol I would be surprised.

Does anyone think this actually helps? Am I missing something? Does it raise awareness? How could such a program be improved? Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

these steps fall under the "captain obvious" category
Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
these steps fall under the "captain obvious" category
That's kinda what I was thinking. I mean, I once came out of a blackout driving on the interstate highway at 60 mph, lost and soaked in my own urine. That didn't convince me to stop drinking. I'm thinking a friendly reminder from the nurse about the benefits of drinking in moderation probably wasn't going to win me over. Just sayin'.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I truly believe that flyers like this are more for the 'friends and family' folks that are still trying to 'fix' the alcoholic and/or addict in their lives (and yep I got sober and clean to find out that I was also a "Mrs. Fix It", lol

As to 'will they help even one person to stop drinking or to moderate their alcohol consumption'? I personally don't think so. And yes, I do believe it was a waste of 'my money' to go to the expense of printing many thousands and thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of these flyers.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Don't know if "Alcohol awareness month" really makes a difference or not in terms of addiction prevention...BUT April is also Autism Awareness month...a condition where raised awareness absolutely makes a difference...

just throwin' that out there if you need an alternative awareness to raise.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I am a federal employee, so I received this notice recently about Alcohol Awareness Month

I'm a natural born cynic, so I have a bias going in - but this strikes me as a waste of time and money. If it helps one person stay away from (or recover from an addiction to) drugs or alcohol I would be surprised.

Does anyone think this actually helps? Am I missing something? Does it raise awareness? How could such a program be improved? Thoughts?
o0o0o0o I want to get to know you! I so agree with what you see. How "PC" of the gov to print crap we already know DUH! But some dolt got a nice phat check from it, gave a big chunk to his buddy with a computer to do the lay-out, then paid his other friend to print the obvious.

It's kinda like saying:

"Scientific research has revealed that automobile usage increases your risk of a car crash!" *SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!* Woulda never thunk it!

Thanks for giving me a chuckle!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
How "PC" of the gov to print crap we already know DUH!
Probably had several glossy color hard copies done up for distribution as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I can smell the committee meetings with .ppt presentations that led up to this final product now. I've sat through hundreds of them. A perfectly reasonable idea - raising alcohol awareness - gets handed off to some people who have no clue how to do it. They work in the awareness-raising division, and all have shiny new marketing degrees, but zero knowledge of what alcohol abuse/dependence/ism/addiction really is. So they come up with a solution that will have nil impact...but at least it's unlikely to offend anyone.

Except us - the experts in the subject matter.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Probably had several glossy color hard copies done up for distribution as well.
Hahaha You know it!!

Some Mayor on facebook made the mistake of praising herself on how much she wanted to "make a change" in her field and I posted back to her, "how about adding 1000 / month to a local food bank.

Of all the responses I imagined, this one I did not. She stated that "she does not believe in food banks" and "I'd rather have people grow their own food."

Hahahah really???? REALLY!?! That is a nifty idea, but some poor mom's kid is half starving now and needs FOOD not to be staring at some dirt waiting for a corn to grow.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Except us - the experts in the subject matter.
About day 2 when I joined this board, I wanted to write a book.

I think the title would be something like this:

Alcoholism -For Alcoholics, written by Alcoholics.

Dare I say that it should be in every doctors and shrinks office.