Notices

Do you think teenagers should be in AA?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
what study on prisoners?

Study Shows How A.A. Is Effective
The Court-Probated Alcoholic and Outpatient Treatment Attrition - Brandsma - 2006 - British Journal of Addiction to Alcohol & Other Drugs - Wiley Online Library

3 groups of court-mandated offenders got either AA, cognitive behavioral therapy or nothing (control group). The AA group had 5 times as much binge drinking as the control group, and 9 times as much as the CBT group.

The "study" you linked is just an examination of Project MATCH, which only concluded that it didn't matter what the intervention was (CBT, Motivational Enhancement or AA), the results were the same. AA was not more effective than the other treatments based on drinking frequency. It has been criticized for its poor design, primarily in that there was no control group.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
No Dee this didn't happen to me, well not when I was a teenager anyway. I hear a lot of the disease model people saying that people are alcoholics before they even have their first drink. In that case we should bring AA into elementary schools. They are already filled with alcoholics. I don't buy that there is a genetic component to alcoholism(there is 0 proof) and I don't think addiction or alcoholism is a disease anybody can be born with. In fact it's not a disease at all it's a behavior
I guess The American Medical Association is wrong.

Alcoholism or alcohol dependence is defined by the American Medical Association (AMA) as "a primary, chronic disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations."
Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Do you really think that regular members of AA would tolerate inappropriate behavior in a meeting.
Yes. I believe it's called "13th stepping." As I recall, requests for money are also fairly common.

Have you ever been to an AA meeting.
Yes, I have been to quite a few. There are plenty of active drinkers and creepers in the mix, many of them court-ordered. There are also lots of very good people, but I don't think a teenager should be put in a position of trying to distinguish.

These so called hardened long term alcoholics have an illness and are human beings. If you had a bad experience at a meeting I am sorry but please do not put all alcoholics in this classification. It is very judgemental as alcoholism does not discriminate. And it's just plain negative to the forum!!!
Yes, the folks at AA are human beings. So are the folks in prison. I don't think that teenagers should be left unsupervised in a prison yard, either.

I have been in jail 7 times. Read most of my posts and see just how hardened I am.
How "hardened" you are is not at issue. I'm sure you're a great person. I'm also sure that you are only one person and therefore not an adequate sample.

It sounds like AA has done you a world of good, and for that I am glad. You are an adult and you attend voluntarily.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by SoberKnitter View Post
It's the "directed there by someone who thinks they might need it" part that I find objectionable and probably harmful. Teens are very often forced to go to AA when there is no evidence that they are alcohol dependent, only evidence that they use or abuse alcohol. Having an adult sit them down and explain that they have no control over their use and it will only get worse is insane.

I don't think anyone should be coerced into AA participation, but to do it to teens repugnant.
No one in my neck of the woods is coerced in any way to be in AA, regardless of age. Teens can't get coerced to clean their own rooms, let alone be in the rooms of AA. Therapists, teachers, educators, parents, friends, girl/boy friends...these are the folks that might gently nudge someone to AA...teen or not. Sometimes it gets them into the rooms of AA, sometimes it doesn't. In the end, the only people who are going to do well in AA, or any recovery program period, are the ones who want it. Believe me, I have been in treatment centers where the guys who are there just to get the heat off of them...court, work, family...mandated or asked to be there, are the ones who do not do well. They often relapse, and relapse quickly.

The young people's meetings I have checked in on in the city here are the most vibrant, most exciting, most enthusiastic meetings I have ever been to. They don't look like kids who are in danger of anything other than living the life they were meant to. And that goes for all of us, regardless of age.

Alcoholism doesn't discriminate in age, so why should AA?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
No one in my neck of the woods is coerced in any way to be in AA, regardless of age.
I don't know how you could possibly know this. Lots of spouses, for example, are coerced into AA. I doubt they advertise the fact.

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
... In the end, the only people who are going to do well in AA, or any recovery program period, are the ones who want it.
Kind of my point.

Those of you who speak of the successes you see with teens are forgetting that you are not privy to experiences of the population of teens who were coerced in one way or another to attend AA, got information or had experiences that impacted them negatively and eventually stopped attending.

I have no doubt that people who choose to attend AA for a long time and have achieved sobriety are by in large having wonderful lives. It's the other people - the ones you don't see anymore - that I'm speaking of.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberKnitter View Post
It's not just the law. It's often well-meaning parents who coerce teens to attend AA.

I would call having to even be there under duress "forced participation." It actually might be the end of the world if a teen who would have outgrown his or her irresponsible behavior gets the idea (unique to AA) that they have a disease and no control over their behavior. Phrases like "learned helplessness" and "self-fulfilling prophesy" come to mind.
I'd rather sit in AA than high school Calculus class. It's not a sentence. It's a 1 hour meeting. Ever been to one? I am sure I have learned more from a meeting and ways to apply it to life than what I have learned in a High School Calculus class. And kids are forced to go to class.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

ok...

we've entered a cul de sac here guys - time to move on and take our talents and experience elsewhere, methinks.

thanks

D