Notices

Not enjoying life sober

Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Not enjoying life sober

Even though I've been hard working at quitting my stomach always feels like I'm on the urge of puking where I constantly have to carry a bottle of water with me to sip on the settle it down.

I can quit for 2 weeks and my life is restricted to not being around social situations because avoidance of puking and constant nausea. Seems that when I do drink, I can do anything and I'm at peace but the days after (hangover) the nausea is triple. Mixed in with the fact I had hpylori, I think my stomach is damaged really bad. Feel like the only thing that sooth me is drinking.

I know people explain all the sober things you can do, but I can't because I'm constantly nauseous and now I just sit at home depressed. I do Yoga from a private instructor who comes to my place, and do the gym 3 times a week in my building which is my main improvement.

Something tells me if I'm sober for at least a month I can heal my stomach inflammation or whatever it is and actually do normal activities outside my place. I get so angry at myself wondering why alcohol feels like the only cure, it's linked to all my amazing memories and experiences as well
Old 04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would go to the doctor to figure out what was going on with my stomach.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Alcohol is a toxic drug that perhaps was once a friend that turns against a number of us that can’t drink it in safety anymore. It’s that simple whether we are kicking and screaming or not. For me to begin to sober up I needed to ask a higher power to keep me away from the first drink. I’m not a religious person but know so many have prayed and it worked for over thirty years for me so far. It’s a bunch of things that are needed to do that makes it work. One is being sick and tired of being sick and tired then realizing that I never have to get sober again if I don’t pick up that fires drink. AND KEEP COMING,
WE GET BETTER. BE WELL
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I see a doctor who gave me a PPI(Stomach reducer) for a month which didn't do anything. Also I see a naturopath for herbs for same issues. I'm just hoping what cures me is my diet and abstinence. It's not fun being sober and more depressed cause I'm limited to any activities I can do.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can really relate to your post Pimpjuice... I felt really nauseous for a few weeks after I quit, not so bad that it stopped me from doing stuff but I felt physically sick for a while. It passed though. I think it might just be our body purging itself of toxins. Have you got medical support with quitting? I had quite a few aches and pains that I felt like could only be cured by drinking daily but with a bit of sober time they all cleared up. Persevere and I am sure you'll feel a lot better x
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Yeah it's hard for any of my friends to understand as my lifestyle was a huge party lifestyle. I've actually pretty much lost everyone in my life because I don't 'fit in' anymore and 'boring'

Just medical support from naturopath and made drastic diet changes and herbal supplements (Manuka Honey active 16+, extra virgin coconut oil, tumeric etc...) green shakes every morning mostly dark green veggies. Avoiding sugars/wheat. I guess only time will tell, it just lurks in my head how much better I feel when I drink
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats a dangerous thought to have lurking.

You wouldn't be here if drinking was that awesome...and there's no way for drinkers like us to regulate how much we drink to only 'get the benefit'...

so it's basically your addiction screwing with your mind.

The only way is forward.

I do encourage you to get another opinion on your nausea tho - as much as I respect naturopaths, it seems like this problem has been going on for a while.

If it was impacting my quality of life I'd want to get it sorted ASAP.

D
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What do you eat for meals?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Zee

I had massive nausia for a while after I quit drinking... I had an endoscopy (which I needed because of liver conditions) turns out I have mild gastritis, which is nothing really... anxiety can cause nausia, (I had a boyfriend about 20 years ago that used to come and pick me up in his car every night and throw up out of his car door through anxiety, same time, every night... flattering? Not really) first off, see a doctor, secondly, eat little and often... big heavy meals are no good for me... please take this as my experience only. I also find that sitting around can make my trapped wind worse... so what you are doing at the gym must be a good thing
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Usually morning have a green shake (Kale, chard, apple, banana, flax) then off the gym, after have breakfast type meal eggs, stir fried veggies (broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms) with whole wheat bagel or oatmeal. Dinners usually sushi or cooked fish with rice and veggies.

I did have super bad anxiety with H Pylori, but yeah I think anxiety could be causing some nausea when I'm out in public I get panicked thinking I might puke and need to sip on water. My biggest fear is to never be able to fly again and travel
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings there in Calgary?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This could be anything, if I was you I'd have my butt in the Dr's office - better to know than to wait and see. Do you have health insurance?

As per your diet - Do you think the green shakes are too hard on your stomach? They are healthy, but some people's stomach's don't tolerate mixtures of raw vegetables well. Also, I'm assuming you don't have fish every night? Mercury toxicity can build up and make you feel dizzy and more.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wasn't an alcoholic, crack was my DOC (drug of choice) but I can relate to the not being happy when I was first clean.

I didn't deal with any physical issues, but the mental ones were pretty tough. I hung in there, though, gave myself 6 months to throw everything I had into recovery.

6+ years later, I can't imagine what I saw in my crackhead days that attracted me. I never thought I'd laugh again...I laugh a LOT. I thought I'd never have friends. I not only have a lot of them, they all know my past and a few even turned out to be RA's when I opened up?

I do hope you get a dr. to check out the stomach issues, but I promise you - drinking will only make it worse, prolong the agony. I was a nurse before my addiction destroyed that career, but alcohol (and other things) are really harsh on the stomach and liver.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I've called some AA places in Calgary but have been to scared to attend. Also definitely not fish every night or a fish of high mercury content. I do think the damage H Pylori did especially while taking penicillin to kill it and drinking alcohol cause some huge inflammation and maybe extended past the stomach.

Canada has horrible health care, but I think I'll be able to get an endoscopy soon to see the stomach and probably biopsy for return of H Pylori. I like to eat the dark green veggies to keep the body alkaline and Manuka Honey to help heal the stomach. I find doctors are very useless here as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((pimpjuice)) I was hesitant to attend meetings, but hit a low that I figured ANYTHING was better than what I was doing. I don't attend meetings, now, but have learned to build up a solid force of support.

FWIW, I'm in the US, have NO insurance and owe a $3,000+ hospital bill from when I fell down the basement stairs, totally sober/clean, and had to have a lot of test. I'll pay them as I can...my recovery and sanity is worth more than they will ever realize

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

My stomach issues and indigestion stopped within a few weeks of not drinking.

If you stop, maybe the medication your doctor prescribes will work.

You can stay stopped, too!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Only thing I can think of to soothe is eating habits. When I drank, I rarely ate so I know how u feel when u stopped tho mine was not as bad. Eat several good home cooked meals(w/o booze) for bout a wk & if that doesn't work for whatever reason, seek med help
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey! I had the same thing. It seemed to go on for ages, but it cleared up without me noticing after a month-2months, somewhere between then. When I was drinking I was sick every day, so I think in a weird way my stomach was just used to it! Everything made me feel sick in the first month, sounds, things, smells. Get to your doctor to see if there's any reason for it (I had an ultrasound and got the ok). Hopefully it will be nothing, and it will go away after a while. Stick with it. It sucks I know! Peppermint tea helped me. And mints in general. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My friend has h-pylori and has tried all the Hospital/Doctor advised treatments to get rid of it, nothing worked, she has been really ill with it. Then she saw a homeopath i rercommended (im an RN) who recommended Siberian Pine Nut Oil, its worked fabulously for her. Obviously tho, Hpylori wont improve if drinking xx
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Yeah I just gotta stick with not drinking and I'm thinking i'll be cured within a month or two that's my biggest goal. By then I should be in the right mindset to know how much life is and stay sober for good. It almost seems like I was given this sickness as a sign to smarten up and re-evaluate my lifestyle before it kills me or puts me in jail.

Every day is getting easier, just some nights I think to myself I'm bored and need enjoyment out of life