Notices

Finding bottles

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding bottles

I know most everyone finds bottles around the house, etc, etc inn recovery. Does it bother you do dispose of said bottles etc. My recent relapse was when I found a half of a fifth of whiskey in a closet while tearing the house apart looking for something. I let it be at the time and was going to tell the wife about it, but I found what I needed and continued about my day. But something happen, a trigger, thought, stress (cant even remember the reason) and I made a drink and disposed of the evidence. The wife came home and was a bit upset and so was I. Went to a meeting and talked about it and concluded it was something routine related, ie time of day, schedules (I was home alone).

Have a plan now if this comes up again to call the wife someone from AA right away.

Just feels good to get this on paper [screen] to try to learn and grow from this mess up.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Someone's signature is

When home alone, I'm behind enemy lines.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I still have the beer that was next in line from the night I quit sitting by the TV set. I see that beer every day. It reminds me of the the hell it was causing me.
I don't know if it's right or wrong. Yea,early on I was tempted to drink it.
But now,4 years later. It really does help keep me from forgetting I am just one beer away from going back to hell.
Fred
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I didn't have a home anymore. The last 1 1/2 years of my drinking I lived on the streets of Hollywood and slept in my car parked at the back of the Hollywood Bowl parking lot.

When I got to the Recovery House for Alcoholic Women in the San Fernando Valley, the back seat of that old junker was literally filled with empty Fifths of Thunderbird Wine Bottles.

After I had been there a few days, the house mother assigned two other women to help me clean out all those bottles. We filled 3 black trash bags, and all were empty except one. My last bottle, the one I put the cap back on because it felt like as fast as I took gulps of the TBird, it was coming out of my pores just as fast.

To this day, many many years later, I do believe if I had drank that last 2" in the bottle I would be dead, that my heart would not have restarted on it's own that day in the ER.

So even though I had two other sober women helping me, to this day, almost 32 years later I REMEMBR THAT ONE BOTTLE. It is a great reminder for me, on how I was given a Second Chance. I heard early in my recovery, that if I forget the last drunk and detoxing that I had, then I haven't had it yet. Holy chit that sure made me make sure that I remember that 'last' one. Haven't forgotten it yet, lol Hope I don't get Alzheimer's. roflmao

If you feel that there might be more bottles left in your home, why not have someone you trust, come over and the two of you search the whole house together and throw out what you find. Have that person take all that you find to a different dumpster than the one you normally use.

The fact that you have someone you trust with you and helping you will be a great advantage to NOT be tempted to finish what you do find.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreebirdII View Post
I know most everyone finds bottles around the house, etc, etc inn recovery. Does it bother you do dispose of said bottles etc. My recent relapse was when I found a half of a fifth of whiskey in a closet while tearing the house apart looking for something. I let it be at the time and was going to tell the wife about it, but I found what I needed and continued about my day. But something happen, a trigger, thought, stress (cant even remember the reason) and I made a drink and disposed of the evidence. The wife came home and was a bit upset and so was I. Went to a meeting and talked about it and concluded it was something routine related, ie time of day, schedules (I was home alone).

Have a plan now if this comes up again to call the wife someone from AA right away.

Just feels good to get this on paper [screen] to try to learn and grow from this mess up.
i am gonna guess that when that bottle appeared, a feeling of fear came up? fear you wre gonna get drunk and possibly memories of what alcohol did to ya?
IMO, its good to have them feelings. if i were to find bottles and not have a problem with it, i think that could be a problem.
the great fact is that ya got choices today!! and callin someone in AA( and gettin rid of the bottles) is a great choice!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting. I just found a stash of my RAS (90 days) old bottles/beer cans out in our woods yesterday. He came home from work and I asked him to please get them cleaned up. His response, "I don't think it would be good for my recovery to be exposed to that right now."

Huh? I did kick the bags around to make sure they were all empties, lol. I just wanted my woods cleaned up and he's the one that made the mess. I sure wasn't cleaning it up. But, then him saying that was enough to make me get anxious that it might make him relapse.

I asked him again after his meeting last night to clarify, and he agreed he was really just being lazy and didn't think it would effect his recovery at all.

I don't think he ever hid full bottles, though. I've never found anything but empties.

Still a lazy teenager at heart.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That pesky "subconscious mind" is where the alcoholism seems to live. If it's alcohol I get rid of it.

My favorite line in the Lord's prayer "Lead us not into temptation".

All the best.

Bob R