Notices

Quit 5 days ago, no appetite and diarrhea

Old 04-15-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RapidMan View Post
So as an update that may make you laugh, cry or maybe both thought I'd share this experience gem!

So the diarrhea finally subsided after about 14 days, but the result of multiple liquid evacuations left me with a nice little parting 'gift'

......horrendous hemorrhoids!

4 weeks later, my 'pain in the ass' is finally returning to normal courtesy of daily suppository insertions.

It's been enough to deter me from alcohol for life
Haha, thanks for this. I was hoping this thread wasn't dead. I'm on day 4 and lord, my head feels like a balloon and I had awful diarrhea this morning. I'm basically bed ridden for the time being. The last few days have resulted in irritability, abdominal cramps, lack of appetite...all sounding super familiar to these withdrawal symptoms everyone is talking about.

I don't have a PCP as I haven't been in the area very long, and I cringe at the thought of going to the ER or Urgent Care due to costs, but I'm really certain I'm not in risk of severe withdrawal. The past year or so I've been drinking quite a bit - the worst night was maybe two bottles of wine and a few shots of hard liquor. I'm also very physically active and have never had an issue with blood pressure...I haven't had it checked since January, though.

I think I'll wait out the weekend until Monday and see if I can't get in with a doctor in my clinic just for a checkup.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I recently quit as a new years resolution so I'm on day 3. I too have had a similar experience of near constant diarrhea for the first two days with today only being one time with loose diarrhea. I have not noticed any mucus in my stool (which is a sign of infection and should be treated by a doctor).

I believe it's alcohol withdrawal as I experienced many of the classic symptoms including the first two nights being completely sleepless, my mind racing constantly. When I was finally able to fall asleep last night, it was restless and intermittent with bizarre and disjointed dreams/nightmares and having to go to the bathroom so many times that I wish I could've just died.

This is a long process of recovery, just like the years of smoking cigarettes can take - but if you stick with it you will see significant improvements in your health and well-being.

I work in a hospital (functioning alcoholic for about a year) and I also have concern for something called C. Diff which is an infectious disease whose symptoms are diarrhea. So, I plan on going to my PCP today just because I'm prone to procrastination. I recommend if anything like that is happening to you you should really see a doctor.

I have decided that the effects of this lifestyle on my body are not worth the obvious toll it's taking and it's ceased to be fun as I end up pissing the bed half the time and passing out before I've even had any fun.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR tywzonefan87

I hope from here you'll start to feel progressively better and better

D
Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Your blood pressure is crashing because you're getting very dehydrated. You were already dehydrated from recent drinking and now the diarrhea has compounded it. See a doctor, I suspect you need iv fluids. Don't take any bp meds until you are evaluated by a physician.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Haha, these resurrected threads are tricking me every time.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It really is odd how withdrawal/recovery and the early stages of sobriety can cause as much alarm as excessive drinking can.

Much like a smoker giving up cigarettes only to begin coughing and hacking worse than when he started, a newly sober person might develop any number of symptoms that indicate he is drinking MORE, not less.

It's confusing and fascinating all at the same time.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I forgot about the hemorrhoids. Another wonderful gift from alcohol.