Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ice Cream
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Buechel

ice cream was always a little too much for me the first few days LOL.

Soups are good - or canned vegetables...beans, peas... if you like that kinda thing..anything you can eat easily and is not too spicy or acidic.

Gatorade can useful too
D
Old 01-10-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi all - I'm on day 7 sober, and still have diarhea (can't spell this word to save my life). No other real symptoms and blood pressure is fine. I have been to the doctor and he has been helping me manage my detox. I am eating solid foods - though I notice I am full quickly and no food really tempts me. I have tried to keep to proper nutrition (carb/protein/veg etc). This is the one symptom still plaguing me. How long did it take for any of you to get the appetite and lose the loose stools?
Old 01-10-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

closer to 30 days, maybe a bit longer

alcohol really messes with the digestive system and relearning how to absorb proper nutrients takes time.....
Old 02-17-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Feel your pain

I have been a heavy drinker for the past couple yeas. In the neighborhood of a bottle a night maybe just shy or maybe slapping a few beers on top of it depending on how I feel, or how much bull **** I'm willing to put up with the next day. It really started to catch up to me. when I wasn't drinking I was trying to choke down food into what felt like an chemically and acidic disproportioned nightmare of a stomach. You can just feel the alcohol burn it's way all the way down into its resting area. I recently called bs and knew something had to give.. just like you said. I'm not going to go down with cerrosis of the liver and live my every sober moment of every day nauseated to the point I can't smell certain food or eat like a bird because I've already consumed over 1200 calories in liquid poison. So I stopped last week. I've had on average maybe a glass of red wine or a beer. This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life. Since I hide how big of a factor alcohol is from my wife it's even harder! It's been about a week, and to say the least it's been gruesome. To keep my mind off of it I've been hitting the gym. I have never had so much abdominal pain in the last few days in my entire life, alcohol shrinks the digestive tract, eating normal again expands it at a rate that you will ****** feel it. On top of it I've been consuming high amounts of protein to help my battered muscles and ligaments(from the gym). My stools, or should I say liquid **** ***** are going on 5 days strong.. I haven't been able to mistrust a fart to this extent in my entire life. However, things are looking up. I desire booze less and less every day. I don't miss getting hammered and being a ****** gimp thE next day. Relying on something sucks in itself it makes you weak. I'm about a week into this and i am already seeing amazing results, stick with it! I hope to hear from you all!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you;re better safe than sorry and you should see a DR about your digestive issues veakchops?

D
Old 02-18-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I find that psyllium husks are good for settling the stomach. You can get them in capsule form and they are basically soluble fibre, which helps with both diarrhoea (they swell up when you drink water) and constipation (they soften the stools and make passing them easier). No chemicals or medicine, just natural fibre.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I would drink milk to soothe my stomach, a lot of milk. And Berroca to replace salts, etc.
Then introduce a protein like a boiled egg after a few days.
Vomiting always burned my esophagus so it was uncomfortable to swallow but your body needs nutrients. When the pain eased I would introduce steamed vegetables and fish.
This is when the diarrhea gets bad. It takes time, but your body needs time to repair the damage we caused it.

As always if you are concerned seek medical advice.

Ben.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Vealchops really glad I came across your post.
Is is not badge of honor to say that I have been a heavy drinker, the usual euphemism for alcoholic, for the best part of 30 years, but with several bouts of sobriety, lasting for a few months to a few years, so needless to say I've dealt with withdrawal more than once.
I've experienced all the usual symptoms; fever, chills, shaking weird perception, insomnia, stomach pain, pretty much everything, with the exception of seizures, and obviously death!
But this last week was a whole new experience; and as with you it's extreme diarrhea. Starting on the first night, I couldn't sleep anyway, was in the insomniac phase, then it started, and as yet, day 5 hasn't stopped. The usual stuff has all subsided and feeling pretty good, but this may be the one thing that cures me for good!
I'm just keeping hydrated, eating little as I can when I can stomach it. The frequency seems to be decreasing, but the 'fluidic' nature most certainly hasn't yet.
There are costs for abusing our body, and it's time to pay the piper (again, for me!). Hang in bud, it will pass
Old 03-04-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RapidMan

If it goes on too much longer I'd probably consider seeing a Doctor?

D
Old 03-04-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome RapidMan

If it goes on too much longer I'd probably consider seeing a Doctor?

D
Roger that, thought I'd give it the full 7 days
Old 04-08-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

New here.

Hi people,
I quit having a beer in the evenings 5-6 days back.
I drank between 1-3 700ml bottles of corona a night after work for a few years. Sometimes I'd consume more.
Since stopping :
Day 1 I was fairly ok.
Day 2 or 3 I developed diarrhoea n since then I've had 2 or 3 normal dumps. I've not really been off my food. I've been making sure I have been eating 3 meals a day. I've not had vomiting or anything n I feel fairly good in myself it's jus this diarrhoea is really getting to me!
I'm drinking s couple of litres of fluid every day but I'm sure more fluid is coming out than going in!
I appreciate I may dot have drunk as much as some of you guys but could a couple beers every evening cause these symptoms?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultravi View Post
Days 1-2, I had vomiting/diarrhea, sweats, almost felt like a flu. Day three, a lil better. Day four, no vomiting, attempted plain toast and crackers. But everyday day since I've quit, I have had horrible stomach pains and diarrhea. It wakes me up sometimes 6x per night and I'm already having sleeping troubles. Did anyone else have intestinal problems? How long will it last?
Classic withdrawals, but sounds mild to moderate to me... kind of like an extended hangover. If today is day 5, you should be over the worst but will probably not feel 100% for a few weeks. If you're having trouble with your appetite drink some pedialyte and take multivitamins.

Once you can get re-hydrated and some decent nutrition, a daily epsom salts soak in the evening can help pull toxins from your system and help you sleep. You'll want to wait until you've built some strength back up before doing this because it can really drain you.

Congrats on deciding to stop!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I had stomach pains from he!! for most of the first week.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Alcohol wreaks havoc on your digestive system, particularly all the good bacteria that is needed for digestion etc....so it doesn't surprise me that your having some issues. It should clear up.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

On day 3. Have spent the better part of 6 straight years of consuming nearly a bottle of alcohol every night. It has ruined many of my relationships. I would stay up all night, hardly eat, and was hospitalized at one point when it messed with my stomach lining.

Diarrhea is brutal. Think it was 6x yesterday. Sleep has been hard last couple of nights. I had some crazy dreams last night when I was able to sleep. I own a small business and am currently taking the week off and handed it to my employees to get my **** together.

I am pretty sure I wont live to see 40 if I stay at this pace. Problem is my lifestyle will require me to be around alcohol nearly every single day. This is going to be my toughest battle I ever face.

If anyone has a different thread to point out to me to discuss this, that would be great. This came up when I googled diarrhea from alcohol withdrawl.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Getting back on my feet

Hey everyone. I've been a member a long time but recently started going through the forums again. Maybe my experience can help.

Basically from the third day I had diarrhea for weeks. At one point I was a bit concerned but I knew it was withdrawal because I never had it like that and it only started when I quit. It lasted for over two weeks, not every single movement but it was there. Then after that two weeks it was here and there and then it just kinda subsided on it's own.

I'm about 50 days in right now. I still have some mild stomach upset and probably lots of GERD activity but it's nothing like it was. I'm looking forward to improvement on those fronts as well.

I do hope what I shared with you helps. As you know we can't give medical advise because we aren't doctors but an experience from someone who has been there can sometimes be just as reassuring.

Here's one of my rules on withdrawal and early sobriety: Was this specific symptom around when you drank or did it only come to the surface after you stopped? That coupled with your own knowledge of your body should suffice enough to make decisions for yourself
Old 04-12-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Blazers4life and good to see you Anubis

I'll reiterate what I'm sure I've said before - If it lasts for more than a day or two I really think you're best seeing a Dr.

D
Old 04-14-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

So as an update that may make you laugh, cry or maybe both thought I'd share this experience gem!

So the diarrhea finally subsided after about 14 days, but the result of multiple liquid evacuations left me with a nice little parting 'gift'

......horrendous hemorrhoids!

4 weeks later, my 'pain in the ass' is finally returning to normal courtesy of daily suppository insertions.

It's been enough to deter me from alcohol for life