Notices

Am I isolating or just an introvert?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lol, sure. INTJ is a Meyers-Briggs personality type. It's just another way for psychs to classify people according to personality traits. The INTJ stands for introversion, intuition, thinking, judgment. We are the "scientists" or "masterminds" of the world. Here is a link: Profile of the INTJ Personality Type | TypeFinder

http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html
Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

INTJ here too.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's a rare classification, especially so for females. I tend to think like a male, apparently In some ways anyway.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am happiest when im alone and don't have to deal with the negative aspects of society, I hate sounding negative but it's true , its not about negativity though im also a natural introvert and was born this way, alcohol has nothing to do with it i just dont enjoy doing things that most people do and dont enjoy being around people that enjoy that stuff like hang out at clubs/bars jumping from one bed to the next hanging around people that do drugs, unfortunately the type of people that society has created will consciously make you feel like a freak of nature just because your not like them ......well it just isnt so, some of us ARE natural born this way and I think its a good thing in that we are probably not contributing to the corrosion of society that is taking place right now , I also think that the world being in the state that its in is creating more introverts and thats ok not wanting to be a part of something that is corrupt is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about this in depth and maybe one of the far reaching problems in not just alcoholics/addicts but in EVERYBODY is that so many people dont spend enough time alone learning about themselves we are assaulted every day by mass media with beer commercials showing groups of people partying by singles institutions by religious institutions etc. Saying that if your not following the herd then you are a loser a freak of nature or some kind of deviant , well I dont believe thats true , I think that THEY are the ones with the problem THEY are the ones that dont feel comfortable unless they are hearded up like pack animals following one another blindly in some cases into who knows what, I'm a true Christian that doesn't go to church or take part in any other kind of organized institution but im never alone because I live a clean life when im not drinking so God is always with me just like he's always with you as long as you believe.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I definitely need my alone time and a lot of it. What is hard, is that when I meet people, I come across as an extrovert. I am a natural salesperson and I am not shy or reserved, but I prefer being by myself. I saw on SR that someone called herself an introvert with extroverted skills. That is me. But I think I confuse people because they think that I will be little miss social because of my "extrovert skills". I was especially confusing to people when I was drinking. I am very happy and content when I am by myself so I don't think it is a problem. I am not depressive. I feel my most spiritual when I am by myself.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

DoubleDragons, that is understandable that it would confuse people. I've been confused as being shy when I'm not shy at all! I'm not even quiet around people who know me. I'm actually quite talkative. My small talk skills are pretty decent. But sometimes it's like a chore to make myself small talk, especially with females. Because I look "girly" when I just don't have the "girly" mentality going at all. Lol.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Nice to know there others like me here on SR.
I find social situations to be exhausting and recharge by being alone.
I've become a little more outgoing since I stopped drinking twelve months ago, but still need lots of alone time to read, listen to music, or just meditate.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh, I could have written your OP word for word. And like Double Dragons, I come across as extroverted because I always gravitate towards leadership roles. I'm in alanon, not AA, but my sponsor also told me that I need to seek out more friends (friends that I can be really, really honest with, not my mommy friends where it's mostly about our kids), particularly ones that are my own age. My sponsor is the same age as my mom.

But I like being alone too. What I'd really like to do is go surfing (alone) or running (alone) and really throw myself into an indulgent but healthy hobby. I have a tough time socializing just to socialize. It just doesn't come naturally to me.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great thread!

My RAH is introverted and his 'new' job is heavy in people dealing. I have had to be very patient realizing his job exhausts him mentally - when he comes home - he Is wiped out. He is still adapting to that level of interaction without his bud beer.

Stung, I am older than you and have realized most of my female friends are older bc I have cobbled together a pretty good support system of women who provide me with "motherly" advice. I have few friends my age.

I'm INFP. I see I have matured and have gained skills over the years. But I had to accept that I perceive/feel things and I need to trust it. I cannot explain how I can draw a graph, convert it to money and the accountant comes in with a multi-sheet excel budget analysis and we were both surprised to be just $200 a part on a multi year several million $ project. So I don't fully understand why my mind whirls like it does, but I get along and manage OK.

It is OK to be an I (introvert).
Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Wiki gives a little more insight into introversion and extroversion. The article also explains that it's not either/or, but rather more of a continuum for most. I'm what's considered an ambivert.

I believe that until your sponsor has a deeper understanding of how this works, she should not advising you in this area. Is she your psychologist or doctor?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am also an introvert, but I think I also self-isolate a bit due to alcohol.
I love being alone, and its how I recharge my batteries. I think introverts recharge from quiet time alone, and extroverts from others. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to socialize a lot.

That said, I do know that since being an alcoholic and getting really drunk all the time, I have found myself wanting to be with people even less than before. I guess I feel I cannot have a close relationship with people without them knowing I am alcoholic, and I am too ashamed and don't want people to know. When I was younger and before I had a real problem, I was a happy person, and loved long walks alone, crafting etc. I didn't do it because I was ashamed or unhappy, just because I liked to be on my own. I did like time with people too, but limited time. Now, I don't want to engage anyone.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm a INFJ..As a child I knew I was different. Too serious for one and didn't "get" what other kids did and enjoyed. I still don't. When I took a career assessment class in college (at 40) there was finally a name for it. One of the careers that came up was forest ranger..lol. I'd like that. I found a book called Please Understand Me that went into detail of all of the types. That helped me to accept myself. My biggest problem is other people who try to get me to change and put me down for the way I live. It makes me avoid people even more.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

From a personal point of view... This is the best description I've found on the INTJ The good side of it anyway
INTJ - The Free-Thinker
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Great site! I just read up on my INFJ self. Spot on. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

How about we call ourselves introspective and everybody else "don't know 's.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Of course the extent and degree of extroversion in modern psychology moves on a spectrum

:
Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
From a personal point of view... This is the best description I've found on the INTJ The good side of it anyway
INTJ - The Free-Thinker
Thanks for the link, Haennie. I've not run across this one before, and I agree with you... it is the best description of INTJ yet! At least, it fits my particular personality better than the others I've found