Notices

Sobriety and pain?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Sobriety and pain?

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I mainly identify as an alcoholic so maybe?

I'm 'dry' but not sober, having been out of a program for a long time. Since I stopped drinking, I've had issues with pain. What is one to do about pain in sobriety?

My pain is residual, from a genuine issue. It isn't usual to have this residual pain, but it isn't always the case, and there is no 'test' for it. It's all subjective. I'm offered painkillers for it no problem. Treatment isn't forthcoming, it's a case of building up strength and waiting for pain to go.

How does one trust if the pain or real or imagined?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had pain/fear 24/7 for months .. then 23.9/7 for months .. then 23.8/7 for months.

As the years went along the "pain" got less and less. I took my pain to my sponsor and the meetings. I found many just like me who were recovering "sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly" and I just kept coming.

I have intermittent minutes today of unexplainable pain/discomfort/fears but days/weeks/months of peace and calm.

The oldtimers were right when they said "Keep coming back it gets better". Acceptance and gratitude are keys to serenity.

Today if I feel like "my arse is in a sling" I look to see if it really is... if it isn't I'm probably just imaging it.

All the best.

Bob R