Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do you think there's a stigma attached to alcoholism

Notices

Do you think there's a stigma attached to alcoholism

Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlcoStudent86 View Post
I do, it seems that when many people find out that I've a drinking problem (women in particular),they want nothing to with me. Do you find this happens much to you, and why do you think people try and keep away from alcoholics so much?
Someone posted a thread here tonight called The Anonymous people a documentary. It was really interesting and I think it may interest you . Look on 2nd page here of forum.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I definitely felt a stigma, being an alcoholic woman and mother. I am very open about it, I think the more people talk about it the less stigma there is.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Alcoholics are stigmatized because of their compulsion to drink and their addiction to ethanol, and the layers of deception and shame that accompany both. I have neither. I haven't experienced any stigma associated with being an abstainer. In my community and circle of friends and associates, there are plenty of us.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I guess it depends on, as freshstart stated, your friends, family and line of work. For me, yes, there is a stigma associated with it, so I do not share my struggle with most people in my life, certainly not new acquaintances. For me, it's personal, but everyone is different.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

ForaBetterLife, when I referred to my observation that there are plenty of abstainers in my community, I was hinting at the larger global community. 45% of the worlds population has never taken a drink, and an additional 13% hasn't consumed any alcohol in the last year. So, of the 6.9 billion souls on this earth, there are 4.2 billion abstainers. Two thirds of the world's women haven't taken a drink in the last year, and almost half of the men have done the same. This also means that of those that have ever taken a drink, a quarter haven't had one in a year.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
now's the time

Honestly, I think if someone I met in a dating context told me (soon after meeting) that they were an alcoholic, I'd be put off, even though I am one myself. I would feel that it was too soon for them to disclose something that personal, which would make me very concerned that "being an alcoholic" is still very central to how they view themselves. I guess similarly to any mental disorder. I've had depression and anxiety for pretty much ever and I discuss both openly when appropriate, but I certainly don't introduce myself that way. When I meet someone who shares that information right away, it tells me that they don't have it under control yet. That might be totally inaccurate, but that's how I perceive it.

I just tell people I quit for my health and decided I liked it... completely true, but keeps it short and polite.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have found that most people are touched, in one way or another, by alcohol or addiction. This has taken the stigma out of my alcoholism. When I run into old friends that knew I was a drunk, they make small talk and when I say I quit drinking and started a new path in my life......they are happy for me.

New friends that are recovering alcoholics, are people who understand me. New friends that are not alcoholics....I owe no explanation to that I am an alcoholic in recovery. I just say if offerred a drink....no thanks I don't drink, and have never had to explain why.

With my doctors, some understand some don't, but I make sure that it is in my medical record. I have always been asked asked by doctors when obtaining prescriptions and services....do you drink?, do you smoke?, do you have any drug allergies? I don't announce to him I have been in recovery for x amount of years.....I just say no.

The stigma of alcoholism, in my opinion, is that, if I put the information out there, then I am accountable for the consequences, good or bad, for putting it out there.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RumHound View Post
Of your examples regarding alcoholism:

1. Sounds like diagnosis and classification, not stigmatization.
2. Sounds like stigmatization.
3. Sounds like CONSEQUENCES of drunk driving, not alcoholism.
Fixed it for you.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It is stigmatized, but lets see.
Half of traffic fatalities involve alcohol.
Most domestic violence involves alcohol.
Much of child abuse involves alcohol.
Children living with an alcoholic is a form of abuse.
Alcoholism tears apart families, ruins finances, and perpetuates dysfunctional relationships throughout society.
It costs millions in sick time, illness, loss of productivity, incarcerations.

So yeah. Its stigmatized. And any non codependent clear headed heathy person would be wise to stay way the hell away from it, much like I try to ensure my kids are never around a molester.
Because it cannot be trusted.

BTW, I was an abuser of alcohol and drugs for MANY years.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think actively drinking and actively dating is a really bad combination.