Notices

My career is in the toilet

Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

My career is in the toilet

It's true, being sober isn't a magic bullet.

My professional reputation is in tatters, I'll likely never get a promotion in my company and my options of moving on elsewhere are extremely limited. I've got my union poking their nose in my business when I never asked them to. None of this is drink related btw.

But here's the good news....I'm still sober and committed to staying sober.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you on staying sober!! I lost my career to addiction, went back to school and am trying to get into another one which is really hard to break into.

For me, I'm doing the best I can do and I don't pick up any drugs. Sometimes I panic, but I look back at my 6+ years in recovery and realize that things have happened, good and bad, but the good is pretty darned good

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post

But here's the good news....I'm still sober and committed to staying sober.
Yeah, you got that right.

There's a story in the back of the Big Book. Page 522. About a guy named Lyle P.

It's titled, Grounded.

Heckuva read.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I lost my career but after a few years in recovery I built another. This new one is one that makes me happy because I am making choices more consistent with my values.

It sounds Pollyanna-ish, but it is true.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I assume you pay union dues, which means they work for you. I have two unions in my work setting, and they would take a hike if one of their members told them to.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Google Lyle Prouse. Amazing story of his redemption. Recovery is amazing. We can and do recover but it requires work.

Love from Lenina
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I assume you pay union dues, which means they work for you. I have two unions in my work setting, and they would take a hike if one of their members told them to.
Yeah, they got wind of my situation and then inquired about it to the President and human resources without asking me first.

Basically what happened was I applied for a position I didn't really want and bombed the interview. They then hired someone from outside the company with less experience and younger than me. The whole thing is damn embarrassing.

It just sucks going to work and knowing all the quiet whispers and funny looks floating around. The president sat in on the interview, which means my future job prospects are more or less dead in the water now. That's unfortunate because my current position basically just pays the bills and sometimes not even.

However, like I said, I'm still sober will not pick up a drink. As unpleasant my situation is now I know drinking will only make it that much worse. Thanks for everybody's support and advice.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Ive got your back..if you stay sober your new life will far outshine the old...
V
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Good for you. Relapse should not be an option.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Good one on staying sober. Yes, sobriety isn't a magic bullet but if you don't pick up a drink today you at least have a chance tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
skg

Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job - wife or no wife - we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence on God.

Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house. Page 98, Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Ed.
Congratulations on staying sober, first of all. Keep the main thing the main thing and stay out of the results business. My experience is that once I handed over my Producer/Actor/Director hat I couldn't snatch it back.

When your house is in order the answers will come....
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Human Relations should be knowledgeable on the ethics of office behavior and state employer/employee laws along with knowing how the ADA works and the employees' rights.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
It just sucks going to work and knowing all the quiet whispers and funny looks floating around. The president sat in on the interview, which means my future job prospects are more or less dead in the water now.
This is my situation too. I got passed over and a couple other people were picked for promotions into jobs that i could have handled. And yeah, there is some whispering i guess.
But, there is always whispering. If I would have got the job, they'd be whispering about how I shouldn't have got it. And if I don't get the job, they whisper how I'm an incompetent loser. Whatever. Gossip & coffee keep the office buzzing, because the work sure doesn't generate excitement.

It's probably sour grapes, but I'm not too bummed about it. The economy is really tough right now, and i'm not in danger of losing my position, which would be 10,000 times worse than not getting this promotion. So i don't show any resentment or bad attitude, and i try to make the day go by quick by staying focused and delivering quality work.
It's like "Yeah, i didn't want to go to that party, but i'm angry they didn't invite me."

I guess it's pointless to fret over these things, because they are out of our control. We just gotta keep doing good work, and this little episode will be forgotten by everyone except those of us whose it disappointed.
Best of luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi guys - thanks for posting this. I quit my long-time job after alcohol took over my life. I went kinda nuts for a while before I checked into treatment. I tried early on in my sobriety to re-enter the industry, but it appears word has either gotten around regarding my flake-out, or the industry has passed me by. It's been tough starting a new professional life but I am finally generating some income and continue to work on an upcoming volunteer effort.

In the end, like you said, the bottom line is that I am sober. I wish it was a magic bullet and everything would go "back to normal", but it doesn't work that way. I truly trust that if I continue to work on my shortcomings and diligently pursue sobriety, that good things will come my way. I wish you the same!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
This is my situation too. I got passed over and a couple other people were picked for promotions into jobs that i could have handled. And yeah, there is some whispering i guess.
But, there is always whispering. If I would have got the job, they'd be whispering about how I shouldn't have got it. And if I don't get the job, they whisper how I'm an incompetent loser. Whatever. Gossip & coffee keep the office buzzing, because the work sure doesn't generate excitement.

It's probably sour grapes, but I'm not too bummed about it. The economy is really tough right now, and i'm not in danger of losing my position, which would be 10,000 times worse than not getting this promotion. So i don't show any resentment or bad attitude, and i try to make the day go by quick by staying focused and delivering quality work.
It's like "Yeah, i didn't want to go to that party, but i'm angry they didn't invite me."

I guess it's pointless to fret over these things, because they are out of our control. We just gotta keep doing good work, and this little episode will be forgotten by everyone except those of us whose it disappointed.
Best of luck!
Awesome advice, you just made my day reading that!