Notices

Binge Drinking

Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinking

Hi guys new here, I am 17 years old in high school currently, and i am a weekend binge drinker. I have been binge drinking 2 and a half to three years now. I am a weekend party drinker, started drinking about an 8 pack of beer a night now I'm up to about 15-20 drinks a night, 15 drink on an average night and 20 on a blackout. I like the social aspect of drinking hence why i drink at parties, I have quit for a few weeks before to see if i was addicted, had no cravings and did it no problem thank god! But what i am wondering is what am i looking at as far as health if i keep this up through out high school? Mainly how my liver will be because that seems to be what drinking affects most.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a lot for anyone to be drinking, let alone someone who's not fully adult yet Killswitch.

I think the basic rule of thumb is the sooner you quit, the better chance you have of no lasting health problems.

do you have a doctor or guidance counsellor you could talk to?

D
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I knew the moment I first touched alcohol, right around your age Killswitch, it was a toxic relationship. I LOVED it. It made all my problems go away. Same as you right now, I knew it wasn't a healthy relationship, but made the wrong decision to continue drinking. Looking back, I realize I probably just didn't have the right mental tools to make the proper decisions, but I digress.

18 years later thankfully, knock on wood, I don't have any healthy problems, but booze has ruined or damaged my life in too many ways almost to count. Looking bad at a lifetime of bad decisions, I wish when I was your age I made some right ones.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Where are these 4 and 8 packs of beer? I've yet to see one!

Considering your brain is supposed to still be creating neurons, most likely you are killing them before they can completely build themselves.

Alcohol changes everything--brain, digestive system, blood/heart/circulatory system....

You are drinking what many drink by the time they have been drinking for many more years than just 3 years. Just because you could stop before doesn't mean you can stop now.

Alcoholism is not being able to live without drinking. Give it up and see how you feel.

Normal drinkers NEVER blackout.

Dude, please stop doing this to yourself now.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nomis thats what happened to me the first time i got drunk i didnt like it then i tryed it again and it grew on me, then i couldnt wait for the weekend to go out and get drunk with my friends. Then about 4 months ago I lost the craving for it and found the enjoyment social aspect of it and now thats what i am hooked on, as it kills me inside to missout on a party....
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there, I am a 36 year old woman, and that is how I started drinking, 17 going out to bars on the weekend with my friends (we can drink at 18 in UK), building up gradually, then having blackouts etc, and of course everyone laughs, its normal right, then you go to college and it gets worse, and everyone still says its normal, your a college student, thats what they do?? The bigger picture is, I finished college and got a job, then had MORE money so realised I could afford to drink every night, a bottle of wine of and evening is fine and normal..right? Then that turns into 2 bottles then 3 a night and there is always an excuse, stressful day, etc. I realised in my late 20's I had a serious problem and struggled for years trying to quit. Now in my mid 30's i have developed an addiction to painkillers im trying to kick, I realise now I have an addicive personality. Its a slippery slope. If your inner self is whispering to you that you might have a problem, then listen, that feeling is coming from somewhere. My mom used to say to me at 17 she thought my drinking was excessive & deep down I wondered too, but everyone else was doing it so I told myself not to be silly, now I know that they were ok because they wernt addicted, I was. xx
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing fruitymarzipan, sounds allot
Like me but i do not want my story to end like yours!

Kind of hijacking myown thread here but quick question, if you have just a fatty liver can it repair itself if you exercise and eat healthyer?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Killswitch225 View Post
...quick question, if you have just a fatty liver can it repair itself if you exercise and eat healthyer?
Chances are good that you can recover from a fatty liver once. However, if you keep poisoning it, it's kind of like playing Russian Roulette.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Absolutely, the liver is the only organ in the body that regenerates and can completely turn itself around. Fatty liver is only early stages, you can totally recover from that. xx