Notices

6 months PAWS

Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months PAWS

Hello out there!

Unlike the first few months, at the 6 months mark I am having anxiety problems (racing/obsessive thoughts and feelings of depression, mood swings). I've been reading a little about PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptoms) and really relate to a lot of it but it seems like this would usually occur in someone who had a much longer "alcoholic career" than me (I'm in my mid 20's and had been progressively getting worse since 18 but was still functioning at full time work)... anyway I just wanted to get some fed back of other people's experience with early recovery and these types of symptoms. I feel as though I'm going off the deep end... Perhaps this belongs in the mental illness category, I'm not sure. Will be seeing my doc in a couple weeks.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am four and a half months in and still have PAWS. Expecting it to last a lot longer... no choice but to ride it out.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

PAWS is the body and brain healing and getting back to normal functioning, no matter how long you've been drinking. Stay sober and treat yourself well and it will get better.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi rubbersoul,
i struggle with the same thing you are. What really hits me is that anxiety suddenly appears in my stomach. It just takes over my stomach, and then my mind perceives it, and then reacts in fear. I notice it's "come back", like a neighborhood bully walking straight towards me, "coming back to get me". The physical stomach tightening creates a fearful mental response, and the stomach tightening grows, and my mind becomes overwhelmed. During this, i want a solution, fast. I want to run, i want a pill, i want a drink, i want something.
But i've tried those solutions, and they are very temporary.
To cope i try to deeply breathe through it, and do some exercise. I try changing my diet, reducing/eliminating caffeine. It still appears a few times most days, and it lasts about 15 minutes each time.
An author recommends that i don't run from it, but instead watch how it works, study it, and see how it progresses through my body. She said if you watch it long enough, you can view it as just energy, instead of something negative like 'anxiety'. So, i try to stop creating big, scary labels for this energy, and instead view it as something that is not harmful or antagonistic.

I try to do this, but i'm still new at it, and i give it my best shot.
One thing that studying it and watching it has revealed to me is that i have always had this anxiety, even before my drinking progressed to alcoholism. And this anxiety, this feeling in my stomach, was the primary trigger for me drinking. When i get this feeling, i want to get rid of it. One method that got rid of it was alcohol. So i was involved in that merry-go-round for way too long. That "solution" stopped working, and caused other problems. So now that i'm not drinking, i find my old monster still here, still waiting to be understood, tamed and dealt with.
You said Perhaps this belongs in the mental illness category. The book i'm reading recommends NOT jumping to those conclusions. Instead of perceiving it as a major problem, try to approach it as a small thing, as energy in your body, energy that doesn't feel good, but isn't physically harmful. And if we can have our minds adjust to these new feelings, it probably won't be too bad. Alcohol used to mask our awareness of that energy by flooding our brains with other sensations. But i'm finding out that once the alcohol stops, the feelings come right back.

Let me know what your doc says.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Other than not drinking, what are you doing to treat your alcoholism?

Untreated alcoholism leads to irritability, restlessness, anxiety.....
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Every couple of weeks I get a wave of anxiety and feel it coming over me and the embarrassment and all that went with it (dizziness, sweating etc.) returning. It's never anywhere near as bad as it used to be and I've not had a full-blown panic attack but it can be quite upsetting as it makes me feel like as far as I've come I still can't shake this off. On the other hand though it does serve as a temporary reminder of how bad things got to me towards the end of my drinking and push off any thoughts I might have about returning to controlled drinking.

Another thing I've noticed is how hard I find it to study sometimes. I suppose this doesn't sound like much of a complaint as most people find studying hard. But anyway, my concentration and ability to retain what I read are really shot. I'll read something, think it's going in then the next day I can barely recall any of it. It's really frustrating! It's got a lot better since uni started when I was basically unable to sit still for five minutes and concentrate, but it's still tricky. Oh well, at least it is improving I guess.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Rubbersoul.
I have been researching PAWS as well. There are a lot of people misdiagnosed with anxiety disorders and/or depression during this stage and are prescribed various medications to ease the symptoms. Years later, when tapering off the meds, they go through similar withdrawal symptoms. If at all possible, try to learn to deal with them naturally, as to mask them with drugs may only delay the process. There are many natural supplements and teas that have a calming effect without the addictive properties. You may even discuss this with your physician for advice and direction.

The PAWS symptoms will peak at around the 6-9 month period and then taper off with continued sobriety. Knowing you are at the normal stage should help you to cope and realize that the symptoms will subside.

You are doing great in your recovery; just be patient a little longer!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with the statements regarding riding PAWS out. At 4 1/2 months I too experience similar at times. I do not want to take medication. I do not want to take anything mind or mood alterning....I'm having a tough enough time figuring it out without the assistance of anything else! What makes me feel better is knowing that it is something that all recovering alcoholics feel at times so I know that I'm normal/it's normal.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Other than not drinking, what are you doing to treat your alcoholism?

Untreated alcoholism leads to irritability, restlessness, anxiety.....
Agreed. It will become apparent whether you are just going through withdrawal or whether worse times are coming.

Quitting drinking for me was just the tip of the iceberg ... 5% of my problem

I had to address the other 95% of my problem through Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started drinking when I was eighteen, I also smoked pot pretty regularly, I'm twenty-five now and have eight months sober from pot and I've only had a beer or two in that time period.

I still have mood swings on a daily basis, on some days I'm full of energy, other days I am very withdrawn and almost feel incapable of speaking to other people, I just want to stand and stare at a wall, I feel numb like I've been shot up with Novocaine emotionally. I'm better off now than I was back when I was using, but I never had a magical moment when I felt like my life was back together, sometimes I think that I may never completely heal, I'll just have to wait and see.

One thing that has changed is that the cravings have gotten better. It's been a long time since I got the urge to visit the liquor store and my cravings for pot aren't as sharp as they used to be and don't last as long.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I started drinking when I was eighteen, I also smoked pot pretty regularly, I'm twenty-five now and have eight months sober from pot and I've only had a beer or two in that time period.

I still have mood swings on a daily basis, on some days I'm full of energy, other days I am very withdrawn and almost feel incapable of speaking to other people, I just want to stand and stare at a wall, I feel numb like I've been shot up with Novocaine emotionally. I'm better off now than I was back when I was using, but I never had a magical moment when I felt like my life was back together, sometimes I think that I may never completely heal, I'll just have to wait and see.

One thing that has changed is that the cravings have gotten better. It's been a long time since I got the urge to visit the liquor store and my cravings for pot aren't as sharp as they used to be and don't last as long.

I used to be same as you , doing a lot of pott , and it deffo does take its toll . I can safely say though that my doc prescribed me some tabs to calm me down and take the edge off , and yes they do work , pm if you want
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

I know for me , I drank and used drugs daily for over 20 years..

So when I got sober I had no clue what all these crazy feelings were, and had anxiety through the roof.. And then I would read all these things and say , hey thats what I have. And then become a self - diagnosed everything through Google.

Time takes time to heal.... A long time.. As a alcoholic I wanted instant gratification..

I wanted to be "healed" in weeks , and wanted years of sobriety in months..

Just don't work that way.. I found the answer in AA also, to a joyous, happy, and free life without alcohol.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of theories flying about here rubbersoul - I think the best thing is to see your Doc, so I'm glad you're doing that

let us know how you get on

D
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow this PAWS thing, do doctors know about it? I have been prescribed beta blockes for panic attacks, could it just be my mind adjusting to my new lifestyle? that would be cool
Old 05-31-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Reading your post, I'm very much the same! I'm 6 and a half months sober, mainly from pot and drugs but I've hit a brick wall and I feel like I'm back a day one, probably paws peaking.
have you been feeling any better, I just need some positive news because I hate getting stuck with anxiety and depression from paws, it sucks!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR emsun

D
Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Some days are definately better than others but I have not experienced this time too badly.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice! (this is a very late response on my part). Congratulations emsun on 6 months!

An update on me at 8ish months sober now: I've been seeing my doctor pretty regularly and have been prescribed Cipralex, an anti despressant (which I have mixed feelings about due to issues with them in the past but in my case the pros out weigh the cons). My depression has been curbed and I have been dealing significantly better with anxiety. I have recently seen a counsellor who is trying to get me into an inpatient rehab program which I have never done before (in patient or out) but am considering. 6 month point was hard for me but I am doing better now, it is sinking in more that I am capable of doing this.. living my life free from alcohol and all the misery it brings.