Notices

I can drink anytime I want now...

Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

I can drink anytime I want now...

But I choose not to!
Too many problems go along with alcohol in my life. Life is so much better sober. Have a nice day.

Patrick
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

And that is a very inpowering feeling. There is nothing keeping me from drinking. I'm grown, I have money. I have a free will. If I want to drive to the store and buy a case right now...I can. If I want to start drinking again and drink myself to death in the next year...I can. But I now have the power to say no. And so do you, Nice!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Even though I feel like the obsession with alcohol has lifted from me, I could never say that. It's a mental thing. Although my job takes me into plenty of opportunity nearly every day, I think it would be a mistake to feel like "I could if I wanted to" even if it was followed by "but I don't want to" It's a mental thing.

However, I think it's great that that thought works good things for you. Congrats to you and stay the course. Best, s
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
And that is a very inpowering feeling. There is nothing keeping me from drinking. I'm grown, I have money. I have a free will. If I want to drive to the store and buy a case right now...I can. If I want to start drinking again and drink myself to death in the next year...I can. But I now have the power to say no. And so do you, Nice!
Exactly my point, thank you.
And I do understand some of us cannot say this and be comfortable and I repect that but you, too, also have choices, dont forget that. It can make things easier knowing you are in control(with a little help from HP).

Patrick
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First day I quit (10 days ago) I told myself : just make it to next weekend. Next weekend (Easter) arrived and I had lost the desire to drink. The idea of "just make it longer than 2 days" became "I shall stay quit indefinitely".

Just this evening when cooking dinner (usually a time to start drinking a bottle of wine) I had a conversation in my head that went :

"Sure you could drink next Friday with your old drinking buddy who invited you over to cook and have dinner. It would be just that evening and you'lll be fine. It was always so nice"

Immediately it became clear to me how ridicolous that sounded. Not only would I betray myself and betray everyone who now supports me (again); I know it would not be just Friday, it would kick me back into full relapse, it would make me feel like a complete loser and it would not feel or taste even remotely good, it would add nothing to the evening.

No, I choose not to drink. And declined the invitation. As those evenings always started nice but ended in.... pfffft... not to mention the day after.

Glad to be sober