Notices

How did I get here? :(

Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did I get here? :(

Hi all, new here. I'm typing with my thumbs on my phone so i dont have the highest quality of writing lol, sorry. But anyway, I have to quit for real, and hoping this board will help. This last year has been terrible! I added it up and I average 8 drinks per day (some days nothing. Other days more). My divorce and other problems were overwhelming. Last week I broke up with the first man I dated since my ex-husband and got laid off work this week. Reasons to drink never end...But it's got to now. I've been making everything worse, so much worse with alcohol and the bad decisions that come with drinking. I also take ambien and neurontin..so alcoholism is extra dangerous. Right now i'm alone at home, can't sleep, feel shaky and scared. I drank a bottle of wine this morning and a 32 oz beer later...I'm female and thin. Ugh, well any encouragement is very welcome. Thankyou for reading.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome idrivemenuts -

I can relate to your question "how did I get here?" I used to ask myself the same thing.... I was miserable while drinking, but kept doing it, thinking "just one more day/drink/drunk..." I was always waiting for a better time to stop.

Coming here helped me turn my life around. I'm so glad you posted. You're not alone - we know what it's like. Have you thought about getting medical help for detox? Withdrawals can be dangerous, especially when there are other drugs in the mix.

Keep reading and posting....
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome idrivemenuts

I know the 'how did I get here' question is a big one...

but I found that I didn't actually need to answer that to work out what I needed to do now.

'What do I do now' is probably a more useful question right now - I know you'll find a lot of support here

glad to have you with us
D
Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, what a week for you! I also got divorced this year so I know how you feel. I am only 4 1/2 months sober but I have found that my sobriety is actually very comforting in times of despair- no matter what happens, I always have my sobriety to be happy about at least.

Do you think that going to the ER or a local detox would make you feel less scared? It really is the safest way to detox, especially if you live alone. At the very least, keep posting and reading on SR. By the way, I think spring is the perfect time for you to start a whole new sober life!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The end of a relationship is always tough. Its even tougher with a pounding head and zero energy levels. I know that once you become sober relationships will be much more simple. Alcohol was the reason two different women left long term relationships with me. I refuse to let that happen a third time. I wish you the best and I hope I can read other posts from you in the upcoming weeks with positive news!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

idrivemennuts
well it is difficult to stop if you been drinking for a while. i had some terrible events happen to me also. i been drinking for 3 years. i tried to sop many times, too many times to cont. but i finally woke up one day like you and said enough is enough. now i am 15 weeks +3 days sober. it is hard, but you will feel so much better. after a week i started to feel so much better. so good luck, keep it up
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ya I know ive been 17 days before and failed because of a camping trip. I do agree you definitely start feeling a lot better after awhile although the worst part about my problem is that I hurt myself physically drinking one night by doing the splits on ice and haven't recovered fully yet and this has left me with chronic pain. I pray for extra strength because when Im sober the pain eventually breaks my spirit. I will try harder this time I really must. thanks for your reply I'm sure you've been through a lot as well and good for you for your sober time
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome idrivemenuts (love your name). You are so right - drinking just makes everything worse. I always thought it was helping me cope, but it causes so much anxiety and misery in the end. Once I realized it was never going to be fun or relaxing again I was able to let go. It was so wonderful to be free of it.

Glad you came here to talk about it - we know you can reclaim your life and have a new start.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by idrivemenuts View Post
Hi all, new here. I'm typing with my thumbs on my phone so i dont have the highest quality of writing lol, sorry. But anyway, I have to quit for real, and hoping this board will help. This last year has been terrible! I added it up and I average 8 drinks per day (some days nothing. Other days more). My divorce and other problems were overwhelming. Last week I broke up with the first man I dated since my ex-husband and got laid off work this week. Reasons to drink never end...But it's got to now. I've been making everything worse, so much worse with alcohol and the bad decisions that come with drinking. I also take ambien and neurontin..so alcoholism is extra dangerous. Right now i'm alone at home, can't sleep, feel shaky and scared. I drank a bottle of wine this morning and a 32 oz beer later...I'm female and thin. Ugh, well any encouragement is very welcome. Thankyou for reading.
Im in the same boat. Im struggling to quit. I know whats right just cant seem to do it. I wish u the best and hopefully we can beat this.. Its killing me..