Notices

Help!, I Need AA & I Need A Drink.......

Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Well I feel foolish as my other thread I implied that I was recovered & maybe didn't need meetings. Today I want to drink. Not just 2 nice beers but I want to drink a big bottle of booze, case of beer & then buy some drugs. Found out my taxi permit application will be denied because of my 2002 DUI arrest. I finished the probation & the case was discharged in 2004. They want 5 years free of DUI's or felonies. However, they claim that because I just got my drivers license last year I cannot drive. I will be able to appeal & the supervisor said I can make a good argument. IDK it seems easier just to hit the bottle.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nah, don't do it. These things have a way of working out. It sounds like you will need the time and energy to work on your appeal. Don't give up, drinking might be easier--at first, but in the long run it will just bring you more pain. Go to a meeting, I'm sure that will help.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is not one area of my life that drinking can not make worse. I'd encourage you to stay strong, and just for today..........don't pick up.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Call your sponsor or someone on the AA phone list!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The case was discharged in 2004, this is 2013, that's 9 years. The only catch might be if they require a clean driving record for 5 years. All depends on how the thing is worded, sounds to me like it's open to interpretation. In theory they might say you only had a license for one of the prior 5 years.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

You need a drink , like you Need another hole in your head..

You want to drink because life has just happened, and its not the way you want it..

I hear you loud and clear, it seems like it would be easy to hit the bottle, but that is exactly what got this bad new today..

This is when you and your program need to kick into extra innings.. Call someone, sponsor, and get to a meeting and share what you are feeling..

Not only will you help yourself, as a problem shared is a problem cut in half.. But you just might keep someone else from picking up today because of what your going through..

You can keep growing through this..
Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dude don't do it. It's not worth it. You will regret it.

We all face consequences from our idiotic past but just because we tripped and fell in the mud doesn't mean we should wallow in it. Sure the Mud is now dry for everyone to see and you can't wash it off that easy. If you think you would like Chauffeuring people around maybe a Hospitality in job in a 4 star hotel would be something you would enjoy. Start off trying some front of the house stewarding and work your way into Concierge. You'll be the eyes and ears if the institution.

Dust off Buddy, Dust off.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it's awesome you posted here first.

I know you're angry and disappointed now, but this will pass, it will.

Now, I will second what Happydestiny said. I can't say it any better, but yes, it would be great if you could get to a meeting and share exactly how you are feeling.

You could really help another today by doing that.

I know you have a good solid sobriety, justfor1.

Just like me, there is nothing left for us in the bottle.

I'm an alcoholic too, and I'm going through a major issue in my life, something I never had to deal with while I was drinking.

But I will get through it sober.

And I know you will get through this sober.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a good case for appeal.

Stay on the beam, brother.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

dont do it, drinking always the easy way out
Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wasn't drinking part of how this all came about?

Found out my taxi permit application will be denied because of my 2002 DUI arrest.

i'm SURE there are other ways to feel what you feel without drinking. don't give up!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IMO, this is yer HP say,"so, ya grew tired of meetings and have outgrown AA,eh? lets find out."

think this through:
how hard was it for ya to get sober? do ya really think getting drunk is gonna change anything? nope, sure wont. and it wont be any easier if ya had to get sober again. take it from the many people you have heard at meetings and on here: it gets worse.

im very greatful yer gettin to meetings. aint nothin wrong with some humility.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Quite honestly if someone I knew had a driver's license for only a year or less I wouldn't want them driving me in a taxi. Regardless of whether they had a DUI or not. Just not enough recent driving experience. You may have had a license long ago, but not for a long time.

Hang in there. Keep doing what you need to do and time will take care of itself.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

“If you can’t run, you walk. If you can’t walk, you crawl. If you can’t crawl, you find someone to carry you.”
Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you everyone. I do have some options. I could drive in the suburbs where the rules are not as nearly as strict and/or I can appeal. The administrator said that this situation has never come up since they changed the rules. I would not even bother but he told me I should. He even apologized because he knows that the schooling is hard now. Only 25% of students pass the final city exam. At least I'm talking about this here & not crying at the bar how sobriety is not worth it.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=KissMyTiara;3888771]Quite honestly if someone I knew had a driver's license for only a year or less I wouldn't want them driving me in a taxi. Regardless of whether they had a DUI or not. Just not enough recent driving experience. You may have had a license long ago, but not for a long time.

The scary part is that if you don't have at least 2 years of recent driving experience then you can take a 8 hour safety course & drive. Folks from other countries come here without U.S. driving experience. And my city is known for very dangerous driving.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Justfor, I hear ya loud and clear. It's especially tough when you're faced with something like what you're facing. It just seems like life won't ever give you a break. The problem is that life happens whether we are sober or drunk. We know what happens when we drink. But sobriety will teach us how to handle these situations and at the same time still be able to enjoy life. Sobriety will teach us that no matter what is happening in your life, you always have a feeling that things will work out one way or another and that we let God (or your HP if you will) sort things out.

Play the tape in your head. Yeah, you will enjoy getting drunk tonight. Then what? Your drinking will get out of control again and before you know it you will have even more problems in life again. At the very least, you will feel much more despair and fear than you usually do now. I know when I was drinking I was extremely anxious all the time for no reason. It was exhausting. Then you will find yourself even worse off than you were before. If you don't believe this, then talk to every single person in AA who has relapsed and eventually made it back (what you never hear about is all of the people who relapse and never make it back again -- and it's scary to think about).

Good luck and choose sobriety again for tonight. You will prevent so much pain for yourself.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's a tough blow, but drinking won't give you what you want, as you already know. You're going to come out of this stronger and you have a lot to feel good about having come this far..... what if you hadn't gotten sober? Where would you be right now?

Hang out with us.... eat some junk food.....just don't drink. Something's going to work out and you'll be SO glad you didn't pick up. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.....
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
High on Life

It just sounds like a minor bump in the road that can be worked out. If life they are consequences to our actions. I'm still paying for some of my consequences from drinking, but that's life. I did it to myself. Does it make sense that the thing that got you in this mess would make things better?