Notices

Economics of Alcoholism

Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

I drank in the range of anywhere from 12-? drinks a day for over 20 years..

So I had alcohol in my system 100% of time for decades..

Today I have 0 % and have for several 24 hr periods..

Those are the only stats that work for me.. I am an all or nothing person.. No moderation in the guy..

So my sobriety has to be 100% each day..

I hope you figure out which one you want..
Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I always love money / economic threads. Let me try to appeal to your economic theorist mind. There is an exogenous force working on the normal supply and demand curve of alcohol: Addiction. When used as intended, alcohol is chemically designed to make you want more. In particular for alcoholics, the demand curve is a vertical line, regardless of supply, the alcoholic would keep drinking or finding a way to drink. The only way to avoid it, is to eliminate demand all together...that first drink.

For us, alcohol can never reach equilibrium, price will always go up for us, and we will always pay. Today price will be money, tomorrow jobs, the day after family, then life. That said, my only involvement in alcohol is with Sin stocks. Phenomenal investments for just the reason described above.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

if you think about the old saying "There's a sucker born every minute" and how that applies to alcohol you have to wonder if there really is a solution. For every group of people that clean up their act and throw in the towel you have a fresh group just beginning their journey down the road to perdition. It's like an endless loop.