Notices

Beautiful outside = cravings?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beautiful outside = cravings?

Today it was gorgeous weather in Massachusetts. As I was driving to work (I work 2nd shift) I felt an urge to sit outside and drink. It's probably because of the many (20+) years of outdoor summer drinking memories. I'm fairly newly sober (1year in June), so I don't have many sober summers so far. I know this feeling will go away, I'm not going to drink, I was wondering if any of you have gone through this and if you have advice.
Thanks
Renée
Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I think that most of us with any drinking history have these urges that arise from old associations. I remember telling an old school buddy that those first warm Spring days remind me of not studying for final exams. There was bound to be a box of beer along for the ride.

Now I understand I need to make new associations, and I do. Every time a new milestone is passed, the first warm spring day, season opener for baseball/fishing/camping, a birthday, holiday, I get the opportunity to make new associations, I get to enjoy these days sober and do what I choose, instead of working inside the limit imposed by a snoot full of booze.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will be approaching my first sober summer this year(if we get a summer lol)and I've already thought about this a lot...In the past as soon as the sun was out we would get in the garden,the kids,the dog and I would just chill out and easily neck 7/8 beers in a short amount of time....I used to love having a cold beer on the go whilst sat in the sun,or if we went for a walk we would always stop off at a pub with a beer garden just so I could get an extra few pints down my neck.....Luckily this year I'm busy working so I hope it doesn't hit me so hard but I know there will be a few days when the suns shining and I'm not at work.....Better get the fridge stocked up with extra water then hey......
Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was JUST thinking the same thing today as it is warmer in Vermont as well! I think initially I was thinking of the warmer weather and then summer drinking....and then after more thought I think it is the "change" in season that I'm anticipating and a new round of "first times" for me for the Spring and Summer....and Fall and so on and so on. Anticipating change often makes me nervous. Being nervous makes me want to drink. It is good to know I'm not the only one who had this thought today!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can definitely associate with these feelings. When it's nice out I remember days of walking around the city, having cocktails out on a nice sunny patio.

I can still sit on a nice sunny patio, and have some lunch or and appetizer and a refreshing iced tea!

I now walk around the city with my camera taking photos, rather than chasing the next drink.

I also have to remember that "sunday funday" used to result in "monday hangover". It really never was as fun as you remember. Just be honest with yourself and think it through.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Renee,
I will have a year in June too. Drinking used to be a big part of my summers. I work in a school setting so am off summers. Wine in the garden, wine in the pool, wine on the patio.....well you get the idea. Last summer I did a lot of walking and swimming. This year I plan on adding some bike riding too. I always enjoy my gardens and pond. Longer days make me a little nervous - so will keep busy
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always had a drink in hand while out visiting the cottage on the lake. I've been sober 15 months and last summer was difficult, this summer will be better. Swimming, boating campfires will be a memorable experience, unlike the previous years where I was sedated from alcohol and the memories run pretty thin. My approach will be positive and I look forward to living the moment, waking up in the morning feeling the warmth with appreciation, not regret from the previous days indulgence.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

I live in the Northeast also,in Connecticut and wonder where is this warm weather you guys speak of? lol
Yeah,Im scared of the temptation when t-shirt weather arrives, I know I wont drink but wonder how challenging it will be. I am stil in search of a new favorite beverage, seems diet orange soda seems to be my favorite along with water in a close second. Maybe I will need to try that fancy 'sparkling water' with a mix of juice or lemon for my new summer drink.
Great topic!

Patrick
Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sunny days are a huge trigger for me--all of my first drinking memories/associations are sunny patios with good friends, and also with my ex. I had three months sober last summer and I found myself meeting a guy for a first date on a sunny patio....and thought to myself, "I have this thing under control, how bad could just one beer be?"....and well, we all know how that ends. I've more or less been in a raging relapse since then. It's going to be a big challenge for me this year, but there is some great advice here.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This totally applied to me. I pretty much had to read my list of reasons I don't drink 50 times. It's so crazy how easily I can forget why I stopped some days. My brain knows that I can't drink but my inner drunken b-word was torturing me today!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Patrick,
I've been enjoying seltzer water, real cold. I like it and there's no sugar or fake sugar
But, of course anything would be better than alcohol!
Renee
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

There are a lot of associations that happen, especially early on. It was when I was able to get past many "firsts" that I was able to stop connecting A (ssociation)to B (ooze). For me it was being alone, or cooking, or going to work (yeah). So once I did those things (and many, many others, by the way) sober, the associations between them and alcohol weakened greatly and gradually faded.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Huh?

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY! Beautiful day = "make it more beautiful"