Notices

Can you spot a drinker

Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can you spot a drinker

Now, when I sit in meetings at work I'm able to observe the people at the table with me. I never really bothered to really do this before I quit drinking, btw. Never cared to. Anyway, now I'm thinking I can spot those who might be drinking too much when they get home - they just have that look - red face, watery eyes, you know...

Do any of you who have quit drinking find yourselves doing the same? Can you spot a drinker?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, unless they are drunk at the time or they have jaundice I can't spot a drinker. Some people claim they can but usually they know already that the person drinks. Even if they have jaundice or red face that doesn't have to be from alcohol
Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's true. There can be many reasons to explain it. I just seem to find myself preoccupied with wondering about it. Perhaps I just need to move on, still, though...maybe we need more interesting meetings...just wondering
Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I can't either.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can sure spot the drinkers in my line of work, at least the heaviest drinkers: obviously hung over, rumpled suit, reeking of alcohol, falling asleep in public, slurring, and so on. The older they are the more it shows.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oakwood View Post
Now, when I sit in meetings at work I'm able to observe the people at the table with me. I never really bothered to really do this before I quit drinking, btw. Never cared to. Anyway, now I'm thinking I can spot those who might be drinking too much when they get home - they just have that look - red face, watery eyes, you know...

Do any of you who have quit drinking find yourselves doing the same? Can you spot a drinker?
I can spot them.

Its in the face muscles as well (like a tired mopey look) plus bags under the eyes. Beer fat I think also forms different than fat on a sober person that just doesnt care about nutrition and exersize like the ones you see in fast food places.

Spotting heavy drinking in thin people is easier I think.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Can you spot a drinker?
I can often see the subtle signs. A certain smell, slight hand trembling, the eyes, skin, hair.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Originally Posted by oakwood View Post

This is ironic, just yesterday I was thinking the exact same thing! Yup, I can usually tell just by looking at somebody, of course not everybody but some people have signs through thier eyes, skin, body, etc...(as mentioned above).
Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Spot a drinker...The only time I could be 100% sure was when I looked in the mirror. I'd rather not speculate on other folks.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rheumy eyes, red veins, smelling of alcohol, bags under the eyes, shaking hands. I would say its easy
But there again I lived with a drinker for a long time.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do "spot the alcoholic on TV" when watching real time shows or news.
Politicians get spotted often,
Old 03-26-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i certainly can. its the little signs that i see.
we all have alot in common
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im sorry but i found out two people I know where heavy drinkers and I could never spot it. Some people have no signs unless you see them drinking. Some people have these so-called signs and hardly ever drink
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Unless they smell of alcohol, I can't really tell.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I prefer to not worry too much about other's drinking and concentrate on my own sobriety.

Although I'm sure some drinkers will exhibit outward signs of their drinking, please don't make it a point of conversation. Surely, many reputations have been destroyed in this manner, perhaps unfairly.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can't. I don't want to either.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses. True, it does no real good to speculate about other people, but I'll probably keep doing it - it's human nature I think. I can't help but look around and wonder, "Who has experienced the same thing I have?"
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have rosacea. As long as I treat it and am somewhat careful with what I eat, it's barely noticeable.

My eyes were watery for awhile, but the treatment I use seems to have been quite effective against that. However, my face is a bit redder than my natural skin tone, especially on the forehead, nose and upper cheeks. I also have a small patch of spider veins on my left cheek and a somewhat larger one on my nose.

This has been constant for the past 10 years, unlike my drinking habits which have fluctuated a lot. Simply put, I look a bit like a drunk whether I drink or not.

I think it's tougher to spot drinkers than most people think.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, I can usually spot the heavy drinkers.

Usually I cue in to the behavior in a social situation.

At work it's the signs others have already mentioned. Being an alcoholic myself I think I'm a little more aware of it in others, even if I don't want to be.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Some of the worst drinkers I know look great in the morning because they exercise and drink a lot of water and eat vegetables.

The people who look truly terrible either stay up too late, eat cheeseburgers for lunch all the time, chain smoke, or are into hard drugs.

Drinking, of course, compounds any negative affect aforementioned.