Notices

Can you spot a drinker

Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I find that I can spot a problem drinker by their social behavior. It's dismaying to see how prevalent it is. Several of my friends seem to me to be having trouble with alcohol.

However, only they can decide if/when they have a problem.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

From miles away. I can smell alcohol from incredible distances as well.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We can smell our own, both literally and figuratively.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My husband is in his forties and is American--and 100% Irish. He doesn't come close to abusing alcohol--will have one light beer every two months and leaves it half full. Because he is overweight and has some of the Irish skin features--and allergies, people make the assumption he is a heavy drinker.

Just an interesting take. It's not always due to alcohol. Genes, or in some cases just neglect of health, overeating, etc. Unhealth looks unhealthy, usuallly!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by oakwood View Post
Do any of you who have quit drinking find yourselves doing the same? Can you spot a drinker?
For a time, I thought I could spot someone under the influence. However, I have met "wet brained" people who act drunk all of the time. People who slur their speech all of the time and people who have red faces or swelled noses from a variety of ailments. Unless I know how a person looks and behaves while sober, I don't jump to any conclusions about them without hard evidence, like the smell of alcohol.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I believe in the don't jump to conclusions part. I work in a industrial plant setting and can tell you that I know who the drinkers are. Each and nearly every morning they come in for a permit and you can smell the alcohol on them it is a very distinct smell and you can watch their mood change from happy in the morning when most are falling asleep as we start work at 530 am or pm to getting lethargic and melancholy when the non drinkers are waking up and becoming more coherent. Its terribly obvious in some situations.