Notices

Al-Anon

Old 05-04-2004, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Al-Anon

I've been reading the Al-Anon board.

I can see myself so much in there, as the person they're talking about.

My marriage only lasted four short years and I can see a lot of threads in there that I can relate to, as the alcoholic. I feel quite shocked actually to be truthful. First time I've ever seen the "receiving end" although my father drank, so I have some experience from that.

Quite a moving experience. I feel cold.

Much love

JC
Old 05-04-2004, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Al-Anon

'morning JC

I must agree with you ! I often read the Alanon boards, and they have helped me a great deal. I was in an Alcoholic marriage , many years ago, and it has helpd me with my resentments related to that . I am also presently estranged from my only son , and my grandbabies, because of my drunken behaviour , and the folk over there , have helped me accept this , and see perhaps my son's thinking process.

I like to think, that when the time is ight , I will be able to approach any reconcilliation with my small family , with an understanding of how they are feeling

Must be said , that the folk over there are some of the strongest, and most humorous, I have ever seen. They support each other thru thick and thin

Many thanks Alanoners

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-04-2004, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Hi JaySee

I agree with you...... i've read the Al Anon boards and feel so :dead: But then i realize the change i've made in my life and feel better.

I've also talked to al anon's in chat and they are great! In fact, I'm on my way over to the chatroom now....... hopefully someone will be there
Old 05-04-2004, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello JC

"receiving end"

Yup that works wonders in a life. The "receiving end" in a area of life for me was such an eye opener but at the same time it felt like a 2 by 4 off the back of my head.
To wake up in the morning and say Thank You Lord for that 2 by 4 off the back of my head. Yup I still do thank Him for that.
On the top of a mountain we are so busy enjoying the view...it is in the valley of life that we grow the most. I am most thankful for the eye opener that came from the "receiving end" because such things are what have changed my life for the better.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

I consider it cathartic to no end to be able to read the stories on the Anon boards. I've also had the incredible opportunity recently to meet a lady in my town that has been active in Al-Anon for well over twenty years. She started dating one of my longtimer friends in my group. She came to one of our meetings one night and introduced herself: "Hi, my name is ________ and I'm dating Eric here. I'm in Al-Anon and I love alcoholics!"
When both sides come together, the healing is just that much sweeter tasting...
Old 05-05-2004, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Jay,

It was a very bitter pill to swallow when I first arrived and read the threads there. I saw myself over and over, and in some aspects I guess it ended up being allright, as I had a DAILY reminder if I wished as why I don't ever want to pick up again.

I have a great deal of admiration for the members of Al-Anon.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Chy (and all)

I've been in there again reading. I agree with you (and all) that looking at the posts really brings it home to me just what my behaviour was like when I was drinking. The change in character, the unfair demands, blaming eveyone except myself for what was happening.

But it's helping me. Helping me understand what happens when I drink, so I can make the choice of not letting it happen again.

Originally Posted by Chy

I have a great deal of admiration for the members of Al-Anon.
Me too. To all in Al-Anon

My hope and prayers go out to you guys too.

Much love

JC