Notices

Seizures

Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seizures

I am at-home detoxing. Please don't judge or lecture me. If I start to hallucinate or feel like I need help, I will go to the ER. Promise. I've already made a contract with myself. I'm just a little scared.

My question is, have any of you had alcohol withdrawal related seizures? What is the major danger sign for when I need to get help?

Sorry if this sounds naive. Thank goodness, I have never seized before. But I know it's a distinct possibility.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have had seizures and I have to say, I really do not agree with what you are doing. I think you should see a doctor. I don't know if I should post the "warning signs" or not in case it is not approved.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The trouble with seizures or anything like that is you never know until theyre upon you.

I was having mini strokes and I didn't realise it - I knew I wasn't feeling well, but that was it...until things got bad.

Noones trying to scare you - but if you have the slightest concern, why not see a Dr?

D
Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ostrich123 View Post
I am at-home detoxing. Please don't judge or lecture me. If I start to hallucinate or feel like I need help, I will go to the ER. Promise. I've already made a contract with myself. I'm just a little scared.

My question is, have any of you had alcohol withdrawal related seizures? What is the major danger sign for when I need to get help?

Sorry if this sounds naive. Thank goodness, I have never seized before. But I know it's a distinct possibility.
What if there are no signs? I had no signs when I went through withdrawal seizure. I was on facebook then went to bed and then my hubby got home from work and I was bouncing around in the bed. Ended up in a psych ward for 17 days twice back to back, got all delusional and crazy, my family never thought they would get me back.

Why not detox? I went after that when I went back to drinking/ drugging.
Was a lot more of a pleasant experience comparably.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have had seizures. As Dee said, you really don't have a chance with warning signs. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I have had seizures and I have to say, I really do not agree with what you are doing. I think you should see a doctor. I don't know if I should post the "warning signs" or not in case it is not approved.
You're right. I didn't think of it that way. Asking for examples of warning signs is sorta like asking for medical advice. My mistake.

I saw my doctor and she gave me benzos. I'm just scared to death of seizures.

I'm sorry to hear you suffered from them Thank you for sharing your opinion!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The trouble with seizures or anything like that is you never know until theyre upon you.

I was having mini strokes and I didn't realise it - I knew I wasn't feeling well, but that was it...until things got bad.

Noones trying to scare you - but if you have the slightest concern, why not see a Dr?

D
Sorry to butt in but dee. What did those mini strokes feel like?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very confused at the time MLC - that and being utterly exhausted were the main thing I can remember - getting dressed took forever - I gave up on making a cup of tea.

I really don't want to worry others tho - I want to stress my experience was exacerbated by other things too - I have a history of strokes anyway and I also had some head trauma I didn't bother getting looked at.

Both of those things were important factors.

D
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's just made me think of a few things that happened to me with the Valium and also other occasions with my Ed. Ta
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have any concerns at all, see your Dr MLC

D
Old 03-24-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep I'm seeing him weekly. Today infact. I was talking about last time (last year when i cold turkeyed.). Sorry to hijack he thread.

Good luck op.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

You're right. I didn't think of it that way. Asking for examples of warning signs is sorta like asking for medical advice. My mistake.

I'm sorry to hear you suffered from them Thank you for sharing your opinion!
Good job on seeing the doctor..

Thats all I ever got at any ER or detox when I did go.. Was ativan..

The benzo is the anti-seizure so , take it as prescribed and lots of fluids..

And you will never have to do it again..
Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I have had seizures. As Dee said, you really don't have a chance with warning signs. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Yeah, there isn't any warning signs. I remember not feeling well and thinking I will be okay after a good night's sleep. I dropped the cup I happened to be holding and stood up to get a brush. Next thing, I am waking up as the paramedics closed the ambulance doors. Apparently I happened to collapse on top of the chest of drawers with the small TV on top and was found by my housemate having a seizure...I hope it is okay to post this. I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor.

Edit: just saw you saw a doctor sorry. I am glad you did
Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Does your doctor know you are detoxing? You shouldn't be alone.

all the best.

Bob R
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Matt M

I've had seizures.
For months before I was having hallucinations at night, my heart was racing and every time I laid back and shut my eyes to try to sleep my leg or arm would often spasm and I'd end up having to turn the lights on and basically sit up all night.

The weird thing is, the night before I had my first seizure something must have felt different. I don't know what it was, but I was that concerned that at about 4am I woke my Dad up and said I think something isn't right.
I was downstairs watching tv at about 6am with a printout about alcohol withdrawal ready to show my Dad.
Next thing I knew, I was opening my eyes and two paramedics were there.
I had two more seizures that night in hospital.

I've not had one since despite having a few slip-ups, but it tends to be the racing heart which worries me the most.

When you have a seizure you know absolutely nothing about it and wouldn't know unless someone told you, I'm just glad mine happened in safe places, if I'd have had one in work it could have been worse.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My doc knows I'm trying to cut back. I don't think she really believes that I'm trying to detox. I've tried many times before... but this time I really "feel" that my heart is committed.

Thank you all so much for your input! Honestly, I didn't realize how dangerous detoxing CT was until I joined SR. I told my friend (who also has a drinking problem) and she didn't know either! The mayor of NYC tries to ban large sugary drinks but the general public doesn't really know about the dangers of WD? Seems odd to me!

Good note, slept well and awoke to sober day 3 Very mild hand tremors but I feel well rested and am taking my vitamins, lots of fluids, and continuing the benzos. Headed to work now. Hope the day goes well...

Thank you all!!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Matt M

Until Amy Winehouse died hardly anyone knew anything about the dangers of alcohol withdrawal. I only did because I had read up loads on it before, but I had never heard it mentioned anywhere in the media before.

Was mentioned the other week too, with relation to footballer Paul Gascoigne.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had no idea there was such a thing as "withdrawl seizures" until I had one, Ostrich. I had three big ones and 2 of them put me in the ER. Each time I remember feeling very unwell, nervous, and anxious - but those symptoms all made sense to me. I did feel a bit more "off" than usual those seizure days, but nothing in particular gave me warning about a seizure. The only thing I can remember is feeling confused for a few seconds before each one, wondering where I was for a brief second before seizing.

I got about 20 stitches on my tongue after one of them. Cost me a pretty penny too. But I was lucky, I got out alive. Keep in mind I was also taking benzos, but also drinking very very heavily and also not taking them properly. Good luck with your doctor.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

A lot of people don't know how to microwave food properly, but they use a microwave oven (yes, adding a small amount of water and waiting to open the door is still suggested).

People don't know the seriousness of withdrawal because they don't ask their doctors and many alkies lie to their docs as to the severity of their drinking.

You went to the doc, you have meds, try not drinking any alcohol and you will be doing your entire body and mind an awesome favor!

You can stay stopped!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i have been there, you get no warning.
If you have the shakes, you can have a seizure.

DO NOT COLD TURKEY. IT IS LIFE THREATENING