Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Will be in a tempting environment tonight. Afraid of relapsing.

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm writing because I really need advice and support. For some quick background info: I've had a long love affair with alcohol over the years. The longest I've gone is 4 1/2 months without it, and then I relapsed a couple of weeks ago. Some days I'll sober up (for 3 or 4 days) and then relapse again. The last time I relapsed was a few days ago when I pet sitted for a friend who's on vacation. She's an alcoholic herself, so who knows why I agreed to pet sit her animals while she's away, right? Well, of course I was drunk when I agreed to!! I have one more night to pet sit (tonight) and I DON'T want to drink. I have to feed and give the animals medicine (FeLV cats). It was a promise I made to her, and I can't break it. Hell, I can't break my promise to the animals! My husband unfortunately can't come with me tonight because he has pet sit his mother's cat an hour away tonight while she's on vacation. I know, great timing right? Otherwise he would come in a heart beat to support me. I don't have many other friends (I know, sad) and I don't know what to do. My friend's house is filled with alcohol. Bottles and bottles of wine, hard liquor, beer, you name it. It's like a candy store. How can I be strong tonight and resist the temptation?
I should probably note that my husband and I can't switch pet sitting shifts because I administer fluids, injections and other medicines which he doesn't now how to do (nor would he want to). Of course, I do the meds part BEFORE I drink. Just to make that clear. I volunteer at a cat shelter and am a regular meds volunteer. I take my job very seriously.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, first off, congratulations on your attempts at quitting! Just by trying you have already bettered your chances for success!!

Wow! A candy store indeed!!

I know this sounds stupid obvious, but just apply some common sense. Remember your quest to not drink and remember why you are there - to take care of the kitties!

Maybe once you have take care of them, pick them up and pet them and stuff, use them for support! Just try to keep on track and NOT drink! You can do it!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. Do you have to stay there with the cats? Or can you get in and get out?

Either way...Don't drink. I don't know what else to say. A alcoholic can find alcohol if they want to drink, or the choose not to. Doesn't matter where we are. Approach this pet visit is a job, not a binge triggering event.

If she has a computer, log into SR.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Yup, you CAN do it! Never thought I can resist temptation but I sure can when I 'want' to. Have a great sober night.

Patrick
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If she has a computer, log into SR.
That is excellent idea!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The meds will probably take a couple of hours but then I have to play with them of course! Unfortunately, I think she took her computer with her ( I know, because I tried finding it last time), and my phone doesn't have internet (probably the last person in the world). But you're right about an alcoholic finding a way to drink in any situation. Pets can be the best medicine though, right?