Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Looking worse when NOT drinking, jaundice, swollen, general sick look

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey,

I don't know why it is but I look a lot worse when I don't have alcohol.

When I do have it, I look a lot healthier than when not.

When not drinking, my face goes red, my eyes are either totally red or looking yellow, my body is swollen, especially my face.
When I do drink, I look the opposite of what I should, clear eyes, skin and in general better shape.

Why would this happen?

I am off drink right now and my face is so red, eyes are red, face swollen and stomach very swollen.
Just this alone has made me go back on drink and it is making me want to tomorrow as I have an old friend staying a few days and I look so rough, the fact that drinking actually stops this is so bad in the long term...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think we look better when we're drinking - our perception is off for one thing, and we generally care less for another...

how long have you been sober again Jireland?

if it's been a while, maybe you have other health issues going on?

D
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

How long were you off drinking?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the best advise would be to see a doctor. a doctor can evaluate you better in person than we could on here. please get to a doctor.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yellow eyes is a very bad sign--jaundice is a symptom of liver problems.

I would suggest you get to the doctor ASAP. I don't know exactly why it happens, but my first husband's kidneys and liver both shut down AFTER he was put in the hospital for pneumonia (and went though withdrawal that put him into a coma). His eyes looked like he had put yellow food coloring into them.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I forgot to include in my original post - distracted...

if there's any kind of yellowness about you anywhere you really need to get checked out...no ifs ands or buts.

D
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have an appointment for the doctor on Friday, been waiting a long time for it.

When i say yellow, I just meant an off-white, just not clear like they should be.
I have had enzyme tests done before and it was elevated, so I do know there is a bit of a problem, not too high though but I was told I should stop, which I knew and know anyway.

The red eyes are a definite, people notice it when I am not drinking and I really notice it, I live with my girlfriend and she said the same, she can tell when I am not drinking from my eyes / swollen face.

I don't understand why it happens when not drinking though..

I was hoping to hear of any experiences or thoughts on here, it is a bit annoying because the doctor here just wants to get you in and straight out because they have so many people to see, the more information I can go with and talk about quickly the more he can help.
Normally it is a few questions and a script for one medication or another that seem to come close to a symptom I mention without even doing any tests or getting into details.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the long run, most alcoholics look far better as sober people. For starters, you don't have a drink in your hand...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Perhaps try a naturopath? What good is medication gonna do if the doctor doesn't even have the time to figure out what is really wrong with you.

It could be a food allergy. Study your habits. Our diets affect our health a lot more than we think.

Regardless of my guesses, something is up and you shouldn't just keep drinking. Set your goal to find out what it is because that is not normal. I hope you do.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not that strange actually... when you're drinking, you're usually dehydrated. So if you stop, you may find yourself a little bloated for a few days as you get rehydrated. Plus you might be detoxing, I don't think most people look very good while detoxing, but it gets better really quickly. Thats great that you're going to the doctor though, always best to get a medical opinion.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

It all takes time for our bodies to readjust
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i think seeing a doctor is the best advice, he/she might discover things that you may over look. Yellowish color is a sign of Jaundice.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

JIreland, I posted some stuff in a cravings thread you may find interesting. Just read my past posts. That Jaundice worries me buddy, I hope the doctor can help you. I am wondering, Have you been diagnosed with Hepatitis? An alcoholic with Hepatitis is sure to have these symptoms. That bloating will go away in time. Depending on what you were drinking and how much you were drinking will determine the length of time for your body to get back to normal. If I were you I would check yourself into the hospital. Let the emergency staff at least evaluate you. You could be headed into serious trouble. Will keep you in prayer.
Oh, you were saying that the doctors want to get you in and right out. I am guessing you are from Europe. UK i am sure, Yes you all have the free health care there, but, free health care is like an assembly line healthcare. I am in the US and am against free health care for just that reason.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Happy you're seeing a doctor! It takes a long time to undo the damage we've done.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What good is medication gonna do if the doctor doesn't even have the time to figure out what is really wrong with you.
Exactly.

Which is why I am really glad I am going to start a 5 day detox on Tuesday.
I asked for it specifically because the help from the doctor really hasn't helped, I know that I will get proper help and they will have time while staying there

I am looking forward to the results but I think this will be very difficult..I have always had some alcohol to help when I tried to detox myself, simply because I know how bad it can be from past experience.

Thanks Darthbubster I will have a look at your other posts once I post this

Have you been diagnosed with Hepatitis? An alcoholic with Hepatitis is sure to have these symptoms.
No I haven't..yet, which is why I am going to detox to stop at the stage I am already at, I was told that I shouldn't even drink again from the hospital, but I did

I was told I had a little fatty liver though..

I am guessing you are from Europe. UK i am sure, Yes you all have the free health care there, but, free health care is like an assembly line healthcare.
How did you know North of Ireland - Part of the UK, my girlfriend is from Czech Republic and she can't believe how bad it is here :o It is also free in Czech, I didn't even know that.

Thanks again to everyone that replied
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe it's the toxins leaving you? Maybe when drinking everything is numbed so your body doesn't allow those toxins to leave....or acknowledges they are in you....

Alcohol changes our entire bodies, maybe it's a tired body.....