Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Please Help.I'm swapping one addication for another and can't stop

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BCS

Today I am 44 days sober and for those 44 days I have indulged myself with food. It's come to the point where I feel terrible about my relationship with food and I'm not sure how to fix it. Something needs to change, but the thing is, I already know it's wrong and I should be making better decisions. I see this huge challenge in front of me because my conscious mind knows better, but my unconscious mind could care less.

At first I allowed myself to have a "reward" because I wasn't drinking or smoking. That soon got way out of hand and I've gained at least 5lbs in the month and a half that I've been sober. (I'm not sure because the batteries died in my scale and what's the point of replacing them when I know I don't want to hear what it has to say.

This isn't easy to talk about, but I know if I don't change my habits that I'm destined to be unhappy. I'm hoping for some encouraging word or advice. Or maybe I just need a kick in the butt to bring to back to reality.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BCS View Post
Today I am 44 days sober and for those 44 days I have indulged myself with food. It's come to the point where I feel terrible about my relationship with food and I'm not sure how to fix it.
BCS, I also struggle with food, but one thing at a time. Right now the most important thing is that you are not drinking/using. Don't beat urself up. I think a lot of us also turned to food in early days of recovery. A few extra pounds is not gonna kill you and you can't get a DUI from to many cupcakes. Just relax. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. In time you can address that, Right now concentrate on the thing that is bringing you trouble and making your life unmanageable. For me that was the drinking and drugging.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BCS

Try not to panic...I think most of us indulged in a little comfort eating....I found it lasted a month or two then levelled off.

I think there's things you can do...Common sense things like making sure you only have healthy food around.

Eating smaller portions, even if you have to eat more often...and making sure you're getting a good amount of exercise daily.

D
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're being a bit tough on yourself. Don't worry. I was going crazy with sweets for the first few months, and I definitely gained weight. But we notice, take action, and get results. Five lbs won't kill you. The fact that you've noticed it and are concerned is natural, and you'll get through it.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BCS

I hear a lot of people talking about cravings in early recovery, but I feel like it's getting out of hand for me. To the point where it's a major daily stresser and I'm starting to obsess over it.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

when I felt that way I saw a nutritionist - maybe thats an option for you too?

D
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi BCS

Try not to panic...I think most of us indulged in a little comfort eating....I found it lasted a month or two then levelled off.

I think there's things you can do...Common sense things like making sure you only have healthy food around.

Eating smaller portions, even if you have to eat more often...and making sure you're getting a good amount of exercise daily.

D
I agree with Dee, eat smaller portions more frequently. This is one thing I have learned to do. I don't eat a massive big meal anymore, just enough to satisfy me. This way, I have room calorie wise to have some snacks. I try to make sensible choices with the snacks that still taste good like low fat frozen yogurt or pretzels and remind myself to put them down after a few good bites. This way, I can eat frequently all night long but my end result of calories for the day stops at a healthy level.

Also, like others have said just focus on your sobriety right now until you get a little farther along. If the eating helps your cravings for Alcohol right now don't worry, just try to be as sensible as possible. When you get further along and feel more secure in your sobriety you can start trying to adjust the amounts you eat.

You are doing great, stay the course and it will all work out.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try to eat as much healthy food as possible. It's ok to over indulge for a while if it is healthy food. And by healthy I mean whole natural, unprocessed foods only.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would apply the same recovery strategies to the new addiction as to the old one. Food addiction is very real, I have battled it for 16 years (bulimia) and it has kept me from getting any real and authentic recovery even though I mostly abstained from substances for 13 years. Relapsed again now on substances and will constantly swap one for another until I deal with the underlying shite.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find boredom leads me to overeating.

Maybe commit to going for a walk every day.

I can relate. Don't feel bad. At least we are not getting drunk every day anymore.

Take it easy.

Buy a big bag of mandarin oranges (Cuties) or other healthy snacks.

Drink lots of water. I make fresh squeezed lemonade or have jasmine green tea.

A good healthy snack for nibbling is also dry cheerios. Better than chips!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A little more protein and eliminating wheat/sugar has helped me get my food cravings and apetite under control. If I start eating wheat and/or sugar (bread, cookies etc) I can't stop eating and I'm always hungry. I have to abstain from sugar the same way I do from alcohol.

I have a physical craving for, and a mental obsession over, sugar, the same as I do alcohol.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Talk to your Dr. about his/her opinion about on this but google "Coffee Liver disease" and have a look at some of the medical studies, you may be pleasantly surprised. That said 8 cups is a bit much.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

I am right next to you but my new obsession is coffee, and lots of it too! Today, after the advice I recieved here yesterday will be cutting back because its causing me discomfort both mentally and physically. I am overeating later in the day also when the appetite returns after the coffee suppressant wears off. I have a problem with obsessive behavior so after I get coffee and food under control there will be something else, maybe walking or cycling which would be great!
We are very early into sobriety(me 30-sumfin days) and have to expect these minor things that are going to be showing up but as long as we do not return to drinking/using its all good. I lost over 10 lbs. myself since stopping and would hate to gain back but better than being a drunk! ANYDAY!
Good Luck
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BCS

Thank you all for the advice. I can relate with what lot of you are saying. I'm hoping that things will level off in a few weeks like you all are saying.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i used to have a major obsession with alcohol, with a minor in food. now i just have a major obsession with food and sweets. and it's kind of funny, i feel the same disgust and remorse after indulging in food and sweets that i used to feel when i drank too much. i believe its just my obsessive nature, and i try to work out a lot so i can indulge...best wishes!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
A little more protein and eliminating wheat/sugar has helped me get my food cravings and apetite under control. If I start eating wheat and/or sugar (bread, cookies etc) I can't stop eating and I'm always hungry. I have to abstain from sugar the same way I do from alcohol.

I have a physical craving for, and a mental obsession over, sugar, the same as I do alcohol.
This is really good advice. I honestly believe sugar is a very similar addiction to alcohol. If you eliminate the wheat/sugar (and that is not easy) for three days your cravings should go away.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
BCS

I would love to be able to take a few days and really focus on eating well. Really try to eliminate processed sugars from my diet. But even knowing that this would be a somewhat temporary thing, I still have this procrastination mentality. It's always "I'll start tomorrow" and of course that never happens.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Try eating 6 small meals a day always eat a good breakfast like eggs, have plenty of protien and good carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoe etc. It really does help with food cravings.