Notices

Antabuse.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm taking it. I requested it from my doc and his response was 'it's not a magic bullet, you can just stop taking it and be back in the same pattern'. I just wanted to break the vicious cycle. I'm pretty mindful of med interactions and the fear of a reaction alone is enough to keep me from playing with proverbial fire. I don't plan to be on it long. I don't find it a crutch--it's supplemental at best. To answer the original question, it is eliminated slowly by the body and that length of time varies based on your own physiology. I've heard around a week or two. To purposely discontinue for a 'break' defeats the purpose (take it from me), however I'm going to ultimately defer to your MD for specifics...

To those that have taken/are still on it---the only side effect of note for me is persistent headaches. Do these diminish over time? Yeah, the alternative is less appealing, but I'm just curious.

thx
Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Antabuse implant

Originally Posted by sobertime1 View Post
it saved my life. It has helped many- lot's of research out there i suggest really investigating the benifits of it and of course you need a great doc.
It has saved my life too!
It was very hard to get an implant but I don’t regret it for a second
Old 11-06-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I used Antabuse through several attempts. It didn’t work. It was my only deterrent to drinking, so I kept my illusions about drinking alive and when it got too difficult I just waited 2 weeks and drank. Then i tried moderating with it. I ended up having Intermittent reactions to the drug when I drank too early.

The consequences to drinking had to become so unacceptable to me that I truly wanted to stop drinking, then I didn’t need Antabuse. That said, I am in favor of anything that works for people slaying the alcohol beast. Get it done, that’s all that counts.