Notices

Sabotage

Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sabotage

I had business out of town and called an old friend I hadn't seen in 25 years. He invited me over for dinner and it was fun reminiscing with him and his wife. I declined a cocktail or wine with dinner as "I'm driving." Dessert was homemade coconut ice cream over fresh brownies. Turns out the brownies had hash in them. Next thing I know, we're watching the sun come up over Tampa Bay from his hottub with an empty bottle of Crown Royal.

He and I had smoked a bit back in the day, but I hadn't touched the stuff since the late 1980's. I never told him I was a recovering alcoholic and he just assumed things were like they used to be. We talked it out over breakfast and Mike and I are still friends. He feels terrible about the whole thing and wouldn't have done it if he knew about my recovery.

It's going to be fine. I'm home and sober again without falling into the well of alcohol relapse.

Be careful with old friends from your past that don't know about your recovery. They may accidently kick you in the nuts.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Wow.. glad you're ok. I don't know if I could easily forgive something like that, it's downright dangerous!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Dangerous territory indeed.

Glad you made it back.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Terrible! I doubt he would have done that had he known about your recovery, though. I guess it just proves that it's easier to be honest :-)
I'm glad you didn't continue with the slippery slope afterwards.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG, I was jealous over the homemade coconut ice cream over brownies until you mentioned the secret ingredient added. You have a right to be mad and I am glad you are not letting this throw off your recovery. The intent was not there on your part, its especially rude since you declined alcohol because you were driving!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Wow...a real good head's up.

I'm super glad this ended well.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had a few days to reflect on last weekend.

I guess this is technically a relapse since I drank Crown Royal, but I'm not beating myself up over it. It's not like I hit the liquor store and intentionally guzzled it. I've not had a drop since the incident and I'm not white-knuckling at all. My AV has been a little more active this week, but it's not anything I can't handle.

In social interactions I haven't shouted from the mountaintops "I'M AN ALCOHOLIC IN RECOVERY. FOR GOD'S SAKE LOCK UP THE LIQUOR!" I just sip my ginger ale and politely decline alcoholic beverages when offered. In the future I'll be more direct if I encounter old friends from my wilder past. I don't want a repeat of last weekend.

Homemade coconut ice cream is the bomb! If anyone wants the recipe, I have it.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would be concerned ethically if someone knowingly concealed hash in brownies and had someone eat them without being informed. Borders on sinister. Intrusive behaviors. Respect.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I personally would be angry if this happened to me. I have a bad reaction to Marijuana. I get paranoid, anxious, and even borderline psychotic. This is why I only tried it a few times. What if you had to take a random drug test for your job? How would you explain this? People have gotten into a lot of legal trouble for doing just what he did. He should have told you before he offered the brownies.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats!

Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I had business out of town and called an old friend I hadn't seen in 25 years. He invited me over for dinner and it was fun reminiscing with him and his wife. I declined a cocktail or wine with dinner as "I'm driving." Dessert was homemade coconut ice cream over fresh brownies. Turns out the brownies had hash in them. Next thing I know, we're watching the sun come up over Tampa Bay from his hottub with an empty bottle of Crown Royal.

He and I had smoked a bit back in the day, but I hadn't touched the stuff since the late 1980's. I never told him I was a recovering alcoholic and he just assumed things were like they used to be. We talked it out over breakfast and Mike and I are still friends. He feels terrible about the whole thing and wouldn't have done it if he knew about my recovery.

It's going to be fine. I'm home and sober again without falling into the well of alcohol relapse.

Be careful with old friends from your past that don't know about your recovery. They may accidently kick you in the nuts.
Sounds like you aced this anyway! Good for you!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've had a couple of PM's about the coconut ice cream. Here it is

1 1/4 cup Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Whisk ingredients together in a bowl and chill.
Freeze in an ice cream freezer.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My friend called me this morning.

The events of last month were an eye-opener for him and his wife and they've decided it's time to stop. They're sober 2+ weeks and have been going to meetings. He's not sure that AA is the right road for him. I told him about my experiences with RR and pointed him to the website. I'll call him next week to see how they are doing.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.