Notices

Good sober week - something to build on

Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good sober week - something to build on

I had an event this weekend that I posted about earlier - I was quite concerned about it and wanted to report. I had a bunch of buddies in town, some had flown or driven to Chicago for St. Pat's Day. We usually always have a party at my friends house, and then some go out, and it's chock full of drinking. Despite the fact that I'd been transparent with my friends, I was still very worried that I'd be expected to attend and perhaps be chided if I skipped out.

That could not be further from the truth. I am very happy to report that they understood just fine and everything went great. Yesterday morning I went to breakfast with an old buddy before the party, and then another buddy joined us to watch a game at my place over coffee and some seltzer water. They went on the party and I did not. It was totally fine.

Very good week overall:

Spent a time with my father when he was in town
Went to a world famous art museum
Got my drivers licence back
Went to a Big 10 Tournament basketball game
Went on a hike in a forest preserve with a friend
Had breakfast with an old pal
Watched a ballgame with some buddies

All sober! This is the kind of week I would have NEVER had while drinking. Not in a million years would I have planned all those activities or shown up for all of them while living my old alcoholic lifestyle. The world is a much better place for me today.

After 8 months of sobriety I am thankful to a combination of treatment, a dash of AA, addiction therapy, SR, and rational thought and reasoning that got me this far. Also thankful to my friends and family, as their support has been huge.

I hope I can continue - even if I'm still doing this one day at a time. Thanks for listening all.