Notices

The man walking down the road...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The man walking down the road...

Man... What a day.. I see God, a higher power, whatever you want to call it working HARD in my life today. Read on, and see why. Today I set out to go to the store to cash in my lotto winnings, and too pick up something for lunch. On my way to the store, I see some random people sitting up on their property having a good ass time. Drinking beers, blasting loud music, and just having a great ass time. The friendly person that I am, I wave hello, and good day etc. Get to talking to them for a half a second, and the next thing I know they are inviting me up to them for a beer. I Smile, and politely decline. Didn't mention that I quit drinking, or anything of that sorts. Just said no thank you, but thank you for offering.

As I was walking away, I start remembering how I used to love times like what those guys were doing. Loved sitting outside on a nice warm day just getting drunker than ****. No care in the world. All my problems would not matter. I do really miss those days sometimes.

So anyways, I continue on my way to cash my lotto ticket, grab some food and make my way back home. On my way home, I notice another random guy walking down the road. This man was by himself, and had a bit of a stumble to his walk. Right then and there I knew he must be drunk. I think yo myself, "Good LORD GOD! SERIOUSLY! Your letting me cross paths with more drunk people! OH COME ON NOW!!!! I CANT TAKE THIS!". But this one was different. This man was beat to ****. He had ragged hair, looked like he had been in the same clothes for over a week. The closer I got, the more I could smell the over powering aroma of whiskey. It was strong. He was wearing a flannel, a pair of dirty jeans, had death metal type rings on his fingers, and was grabbing onto an uncapped half gallon bottle of canadian bottom shelf whiskey as if it was the only thing he cared about in the world. He has a small shake to him as well. He stopped me in my tracks, and said hello. I stopped and asked how he was doing. We bullshitted for a few moments. Just back and forth chit chat. Again, most of you may have run from a person like this man. But I didn't see him as someone scary, nor treating. He simply was in a battle that I was just in not so long ago. He didnt ask me for anything but a simple cigarette. I did happen to have one on me, and said you can have it sir. I dont really smoke, and its yours if you like. I wished him fair-well, and watched as he stumbled down the road in a manner that would most likely get him picked up for public intoxication..It was a hard site for me to watch, because I know that reality all too well.

I right then came to a realization that this is simply God working in my life yet again (he seems to manifest things in my life when I seem to MOST NEED IT). He first introduced me to "The party lifestyle", the lifestyle that was fun - by showing me those people on the hill, and the reminding me of the good times. The part I enjoyed. And I **** you not 15 mins later, unleashes THE OTHER GUY into my life. The end result. The beat to **** drunk hanging on to his bottle as if thats all he had left in life. You can all it what you want. You can all it coincidence all you freakin want. To me, thats simply my hard prayers in full and absolute manifestation. A God, a Higher Power, a WHATEVER working directly in my life.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Ryan. What came to mind when I read your post: The teacher appears when the student is ready.

All the best,
Edd
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
Man... What a day.. I see God, a higher power, whatever you want to call it working HARD in my life today..
I completely agree with that being a God thing. That was awesome! Little signs like that happen a lot in my life as well. I am glad my eyes are open to see them. You r blessed!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"But for the Grace of God"

We need those wake-up calls Ryan, thanks

Bob R
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep! That was God.... he's not a WHATEVER...he IS ...(I know we got to be politically correct right?)

But he has a way don't he?

That was a great story ,and I appreciate that you shared it, if nothing else that was what you were meant to do.

Thank You!!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Thanks Ryan- I hope it turns out OK for him

We are surrounded by the evidence
Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for a great post...one of the first things I read this morning...I think when I find myself in situations like this...I think I am working the will of caring and acceptance towards others.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can so completely relate, thank you. I have had to politely turn down a drink as well. It always makes you feel good about yourself after doesn't it?

Seeing the really drunk hopeless type though, it still haunts me. Seeing people like that moves me to think maybe I should sign up to help at the detox center. It hurts my Aura to see people in that state.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Thank you for a great post...one of the first things I read this morning...I think when I find myself in situations like this...I think I am working the will of caring and acceptance towards others.

Hey wisc, how u doing these days! Whatcha been doing since football season has been over?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Another God Shot in my books.

Thanks for sharing that...loved it.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

I always wanted to be the partying guy like in beer commercials but ended up the shaking, sick and scared guy on a three day bender. Thank God those days are behind me.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a great story!

I am in an outpatient program at a treatment center. They were telling the story of a young man in that treatment center that decided the other day to leave. He was going to walk home (50 miles away). He got as far as the next block to a convenience store. Before he went in some man walked up to him (he didn't know him) and asked if he could pray with him. (This man had no idea he had just left treatment). Then the man gave this boy his phone number and the boy went back to treatment. When he attempted to call this man, the number didn't work. He is still in treatment and now has a more positive attitude about getting better.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
All is Change

btw, thanks for the cigarette.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!