Notices

Rehab - residential?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New and learning

Rehab - residential?

Here's my (shortened) story. The past 3 years I have increasingly drank. I was drinking 5-7 nights a week (not during the day, unless out to lunch with a girlfriend/s and then just 1 or 2) and I would drink and drink and drink. Most nights I would drink - a bottle of wine, OR 2-4 of "my" margaritas. "My" marg is 2 oz fresh lime or lemon juice, 2 oz triple sec and 4 oz tequila. So - 6 oz of liquor and I'd drink 2 to 4 of those. My mom passed away 3 years ago, on 05/02/10. no - not a coincidence I am sure. Before that, the previous 3-5 years I drank every weekend, usually to excess. Before that, it was once a month on a weekend, and not too terribly bad. So - I had a bad drink episode on 2/23, where I'm in a huge fight with my husband, verbally screaming a bunch of horrible horrible things. I know first thing (or rather 10 am) on sunday 2/24 that i must do something about my drinking. I had looked on SR in November 2011, and thought I was perhaps an alcoholic. Decided I could moderate it after going a week to 10 days without drinking. Nope, I can't. So ----- it was so scarring, that I am successfully on Day 18 of no alcohol. yay! BUT ----- don't I need to cure WHY I drank? Don't I need the education and tools to not relapse?

So......

I spent all morning researching rehab centers. My insurance coverage for places in Colorado isn't very impressive. They all seem "normal", lots of people, lots of group therapy and not much else.Includes court mandated people (who don't really want to be there) In my research I see that it needs to holistic, the whole body. I want individual therapy to figure out why I drank and to end it. I want my body to heal nutritionally. I want my spirit to be healed and soar again. So........one place I *thought* was a PPO, isn't. Insurance will only pay $2,500. Total cost private is $22,500 and semi private is $10,000. Ugh! That is in Florida at a "big place" but lots of options and therapies.

Another place says insurance will pay $9,500 and I'd owe the rest ($9,200). Ugh! That one is in southern California, and seems to be very individually focussed.

Then I find a holistic place where they ARE a PPO with my insurance and their total cost is $26,500 but my portion would max at $1,250. Wow! Really? It is a smaller place, Christian, individualized, lots of one-one therapy, focus on whole person etc.

Why do I hesitate? Well........
It's in Pennsylvania. I've never been there before.
I'm certainly scared/apprehensive of the unknown
Do I need a full 30 day residential program? I am on Day 18 (says my AV)
How will my family do?
Husbands job is super busy and stressful right now, he is working a LOT!
My daughter is at DisneyWorld with school until Saturday. I'd like to see her before I take off for a month.
My son is a senior, so I want to be here for the "senior" events (which I will be if I go within the next week.
Will they be okay with me gone for a whole month? (son is 18, daughter is 16)
Airfare is $1,000 to go Saturday to $625 to leave next Wednesday 3/20.
My husband wonders if I "need to go"

Sigh. Help?!

Anyone have good or bad about residential rehab? Or St Joseph's Institute in particular? Am I allowed to ask these questions?

I will discuss with my husband when he gets home from work tonight. I have done a search for reviews and not finding any but that it became an addiction rehab place in March 2010.

thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome! I don't have experience in the kind of rehab centers you are speaking about, but I'm sure people do, and will be here soon. CONGRATSon 18 days!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My recovery began in a Recovery Home 90 day program in 1989.

Are you attending AA meetings in your area right now? There will be lots of folks to talk to there about rehabs in your area.

It's been my experience that anyone coming in the door of AA who asks "Can you help me save my life and find my God" is well taken care of.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went to one for 14 days. It's a very very busy time where my husband and I work. I really needed to go. I also have a 6 year old little girl. Everything was fine while I was gone. If you need to go I say go and try and get well. 30 days to help get you better isn't that long. But remember it's only 30 days and you will have to do work once you get home but the inpatient isn't bad (in fact I enjoyed it). I wish I had stayed longer. I relapsed (big time one day) after I got out but have gotten back up and am working outpatient locally and going to AA.

Just wanted to let you know that it is doable (with a busy husband and kids). Plus I also work where my husband does and this is the absolute worst time for me to have been gone but we all have survived and I am getting better (even with the one day relapse).
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rehab is no magical cure trust me I've been twice and still struggle sometimes with drinking but you should really give it a go. The action of going to a rehab centre and addressing the issue does help and it does leave an impression on your mind for the future. All that other stuff doesn't matter. Life goes on with or without you. It'll be ok and its only temporary. So why not just go? Can't hurt!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New and learning

Thans! I booked airline tickets and leave Sunday morning! wow! My husband didn't even question it. I had looked at airline prices from this week thru the next 2 weeks. I was figuring the cost savings over a flight within the next 1-5 days vs a week and 2 weeks out. Then, because of course this is meant to be, my husband checked his miles, and flights available - and sure enough, the super saver reward is being used, so only costing 25,000 miles, not the 50!

God is good!

I feel really good about the decision. Now - to prepare to leave! and my husband and son are already telling me not to worry the details (dinner, driving to school and practices etc) that they will take care of it all! I will sleep well tonight!