Notices

Inpatient Rehab Question

Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inpatient Rehab Question

Good evening,

I am really struggling at the moment with both drinking and bad depression and am worried. Anyone know if you have to be in an outpatient program for addiction to get help getting into inpatient? Like a 90 day program to be specific. I was told a while back you have to "fail" an outpatient program to get into an inpatient. Can you get into one without a referral from an outpatient, or maybe through a referral from a physician? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never heard that before Newman.
It seems at odds with every story I've read here, too.

Have you got a Dr to ask, or a nearby facility to ring?
D
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do have a doctor, but when I was in an outpatient program, I was told struggling while drinking in an outpatient program they could easily refer you to a program, and it could be approved by insurance. That made me not sure if my doctor could just get me in and have insurance approve it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an American so I have no idea of the specifics - just going on other peoples stories, Newman.

I think the best thing to do is ask your medico, or look around at rehabs yourself - see what they require and whether your insurance will come to the party.

D
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New and learning

I called some inpatient rehabs today. They will call your insurance for you. Mine requires prior authorization. The rehab place can get that for you if you tell them your story. Or you can ask your dr I guess. I've never done outpatient.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My insurance did require you to have an unsuccessful outpatient experience before funding inpatient rehab. Treatment was paid for progressively in that you couldn't bring out the big guns until it was proven that that was what was needed.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I am American and I have done outpatient, intensive outpatient, inpatient, you name it. There were times I went directly into inpatient. They do, as said, usually require prior authorization and "acceptance" into the program via insurance. It usually starts with a call to the facility. They will be able to guide you on the specifics from there. They have staff there highly trained in this area.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in Canada and the only thing you need to get in to in-patient here is a referral from a doctor.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know that many insurance companies prefer to pay for outpatient because it is cheaper. Those insurers may want to use inpatient rehab as a last resort.

My own insurer was like this, but we persuaded them that the situation demanded inpatient.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know about 90 day programs, I went inpatient to a 21 day program without "failing" an outpatient program. The insurance company will base payment on a clinical assessment.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You don't need insurance. You don't need a referral. IF and that is a big IF you really want sobriety, go to your nearest SALVATION ARMY. They have a wonderful inpatient program that lasts 6 to 9 months. Has a pretty damn good recovery rate also.

As to inpatient rehabs, many times it is a person's individual insurance that will require failure at an outpatient rehab first before they will pay for inpatient.

Remember, these programs are a more 'intense' way of getting the 'tools' of recovery to you. YOU still have to apply and USE the tools in your life.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

My daughter went into inpatient rehab right away, but it took a lot of trying to get her there. I called the facility, and was told that she needed something prior as far as treatment went, before she could get into inpatient. There were some extenuating circumstances other than just her drug use, and that helped my insurance company to justify her going right in. When you call, I would talk about every bad thing thats happened, how its affecting your family, anything possible to paint the worst picture, and maybe then it will work for you.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newman23 View Post
Good evening,

I am really struggling at the moment with both drinking and bad depression and am worried. Anyone know if you have to be in an outpatient program for addiction to get help getting into inpatient? Like a 90 day program to be specific. I was told a while back you have to "fail" an outpatient program to get into an inpatient. Can you get into one without a referral from an outpatient, or maybe through a referral from a physician? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you attending AA meetings right now? You have a 2010 join date, what program of recovery have you been working?

If you go to the local AA meetings you will meet lots of folks who have been through your local rehabs and will be able to answer your questions.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-13-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses and sharing experiences. It seems insurances companies can differ, and if I it wouldn't hurt to make a few phone calls. I also wasn't aware that you can into Salvation Army and for that length of time. Thats a while!

Unfortunately I had a relapse and sort of "picked up where I left off" and things have been noticeably going downhill. Perhaps I should get back into AA and try the program out now while I can while keeping inpatient in mind. Just really sick of this lifestyle and the cravings that come along with it..
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went to inpatient myself. I had to get an "assessment" first - it was a requirement by the state of Minnesota I believe. It was done at a local drug/alcohol public resource center, nothing fancy at all. Once I received that clearance, the inpatient program needed to wait for a bed to open up and then I was accepted.

I found out later that many of my fellow rehab patients had gone to detox right there at the hospital which held the treatment center. They were able to bypass that "assessment" etc, and were admitted right away without a wait.

Either way, that's 2 methods that I know of to get in there fairly soon. I'd recommend inpatient treatment 100%, it's worked great for me and I've been 8 months sober since leaving the facility.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh - and a random thought: wouldn't it be nice if this kind of thing were easier? The health care system in the USA (not familiar with others) is all mucked up. Sheesh, when you want help and are willing to commit, you'd think that'd be enough! But no, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops and deal with all the red tape. Yuck.

Stick with it though, don't lose hope or get frustrated. You can do it. Good luck!