Notices

To err is human...

Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kawboy View Post
2gran: fam always comes first. I live and breathe for that and i will never put myself before them.

Re: meetings
I guess my main issue with AA is the theistic aspect. I have my own established beliefs and have no desire for organized religion to be pushed down my throat as a means of recovery.
Read some posts from others here who have began to attend meetings.

You might just find that your "established beliefs" are erroneous ....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

As Bob R. pointed out, not everybody is into the religous/spiritual aspect of AA but there is so much more to the meetings that just address alcoholism and thats why I continue to go. I am not much of a religous person and do not pay much attention when a speaker or topic is focused on God and/or spirituality, my bad? Nah, I dont think so.

To me, AA is a place to learn about alcoholism and its effects it has on OUR lives if we continue to drink/drug. Its a place where I know I will not be tempted to pick up and I get to meet some great normal people who walked in my miserable shoes at some point and understand what I have gone through.

I am off to start my day with a visit to this lodge full of non-drinkers to hang out for about an hour or so. See ya later

Patrick
Old 03-10-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
All is Change

I wonder whether alcohol is the higher power. Many testimonies show that trying to make self the higher power does not work. Is that because it is the ego that's running the show? Perhaps there is a suitable answer somewhere in contemplating that?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There is no religious aspect of AA... but there certainly is a spiritual aspect.

The last 3 lines of AA's "How It Works" sums it up quite simply.
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

And it is God "As we understood Him". A Higher Power. Yes, alcohol was a Higher Power. It was going to kill me and I was helpless.

I spent about 15 yrs in AA trying to prove that I didn't really need a Higher Power, I just needed to quit drinking. It was very painful.

Today I embrace the thought that I'm hot the center of the universe.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Read some posts from others here who have began to attend meetings.

You might just find that your "established beliefs" are erroneous ....

All the best.

Bob R
I bristle a bit when I hear someone tell others that their established beliefs are erroneous. Perhaps it is just the choice of words. I WOULD recommend that people be open to the possibility that their assumptions may be challenged if they try new things.

Apologies if this sentiment was your intent grandfather. If not, then I will remain bristled but respectful of your right to contribute. :-)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've read many of Kawboy's other postings...He is 35 year's old with a toddler and a baby both in daycare, i gather both he and his wife work fulltime.

He wants to be sober for 28 weeks, it's an awesome start to maybe longer, who knows. He joined here for support...he admitted he had 2 glasses of wine...He is finding HIS way.

not everyone does sobriety in the same way.