Notices

Hi, I'm Scared as Heck, but going to do it.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Something tells me it's not going as planned ..... early recovery seldom does.

All the best S.A.H

Bob R
Funny. "AA's business indeed." Do you know that according to the only comprehensive study ever done, AA is no more successfull than people who simply choose to stop drinking on their own? About 0.5 percent after the 1st year. In fact, don't we all make this decision BEFORE we walk into AA, and begin our dependence on other broken people? I've both seen 100's of people relapse and have relapsed myself, twice when I was treasurer of a meeting after years of sobriety. Anyway, I only bring this up because I believe without reservation that it is a crime that there is no comparable secular alternative to the the overtly religious dogma of AA. It's a tragedy. I've been in treatment and spirituality is never mentioned. Yet they depend on free and ubiquitous AA/NA etc meetings for aftercare, because nothing else is out there. Alcoholism is a disease. Period. It should be treated like one. Just one man's opinion though. Whatever works for you.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dryreasonlover View Post
Funny. "AA's business indeed." Do you know that according to the only comprehensive study ever done, AA is no more successfull than people who simply choose to stop drinking on their own? About 0.5 percent after the 1st year. In fact, don't we all make this decision BEFORE we walk into AA, and begin our dependence on other broken people? I've both seen 100's of people relapse and have relapsed myself, twice when I was treasurer of a meeting after years of sobriety. Anyway, I only bring this up because I believe without reservation that it is a crime that there is no comparable secular alternative to the the overtly religious dogma of AA. It's a tragedy. I've been in treatment and spirituality is never mentioned. Yet they depend on free and ubiquitous AA/NA etc meetings for aftercare, because nothing else is out there. Alcoholism is a disease. Period. It should be treated like one. Just one man's opinion though. Whatever works for you.

you don't want to go there. People hold dear to AA like it's their own child. There is no logic or reason in it. I don't understand it myself. I don't know if we are allowed to state our opinions on other peoples method of recovery.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as people are civil and respectful there's no problem on discussing recovery methods in this forum.

Not sure how all this helps the OP here tho? I think a better focus might be 'Things that worked for me' rather than things people feel don't work.

You guys might want to start another thread.

D
Old 03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

AA, AAA or the ABC's, whatever works be happy for what you found and stayed sober! I am trying something I dont agree with 100% but so far I have not had a beer or smoked a joint in 3 weeks so maybe I found it, maybe not, its too early to say. What happened to the OP? Since its a friendly and informative site I am sure he did'nt get scared off or felt let down. When someone posts just one night and never returns I always assume the worst. Maybe he checked into rehab and took the advice here, I just look forward to hearing back from him.

Patrick
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Honesty from a husband is always appreciated , no matter what. Women hate being lied to.
Just spill the beans. You will hopefully end up with the strongest support of all. This thing is too big for one person alone to deal with. That's ok. It's not a failing. I had to tell everyone. It's good, it makes you accountable. Good luck
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I am rolling through day 2 sober and will wake sober to begin day 3. This is the longest I have gone in many years.

I am interested in how you quit and what worked for you. I am using self control and it's a struggle but the clock eventually points to bed time and the day is over.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

We are in a nearly identical situation, long term use, 2 days of sobriety and no rehab. So far not perfect but manageable.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well, things haven't gone according to plan. So I am going to try to do this in a couple of days. I am very happy that you are going well too.tall, and I will be on the same road in the next day or so. I had some major stuff to deal with and it wasn't the prime time to be trying to pull this off at the moment, but guaranteed, it will be within the next day or so. It would be nice to compare notes, since your situation is very similar. As for the rest of you, yes, it would be ideal to be honest with my wife, but in this situation, that is not an alternative. Trust me on that one. I am still dedicated to this cause, and will carry it out, but alas, it was not to be during the time-frame I had originally designated. I will keep you up to date. Thank you for all your replies, this is an incredible forum. Sincerely...
Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

One thing I learned is there's no good time to quit Scared.

life will always throw stuff at you, and when your only tool to deal with that stuff is to drink, it's always going to be rough without it.

You will learn new healthier ways of dealing with things tho, with time and exposure

The best thing to do is pick a time and stay committed to quitting, no matter what.

best wishes - hope you can make this time your time

D
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by too.tall View Post
Congratulations. I am rolling through day 2 sober and will wake sober to begin day 3. This is the longest I have gone in many years.

I am interested in how you quit and what worked for you. I am using self control and it's a struggle but the clock eventually points to bed time and the day is over.
I'm in the same boat. I was scared of having a seizure so I did drink one glass of wine today. But after two days of putting down the bottle I can feel my body tremors subside.

If you have been a heavy drinker for a long time, going cold turkey is not a good idea. It can be fatal.