Notices

Severe anxiety

Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Severe anxiety

I have been sober for over a year. I am under a lot of pressure in uni right now and have been binge eating ice cream and sweets - I can't stop. Then the next day, I feel so sick and horrible. It's like being hungover - vomiting and anxiety related nausea. On a regular day, I am also having trouble eating proper meals. I know this is anxiety related. I know I have lost weight. My mom had a right go at me this evening, saying that I was "killing her". She also asked me if I was anorexic...no I am not. I am under a lot of pressure and I have lost my appetite. I used to LOVE my meals, but now I have no interest in food.

My dad said to me this evening "remember your teenage diaries? You had written a lot of things in there about hating yourself after you ate bad food". I guess my whole family has read my diaries, I should have thrown them out. He also said "if you keep this up, we will be getting worried". I feel so angry at this point. If anyone has any advice about anxiety, I would appreciate it. And thanks for reading and letting me vent.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on your sober time.

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
If anyone has any advice about anxiety, I would appreciate it. And thanks for reading and letting me vent.
Have you seen a doctor about it? a Psychiatrist? Perhaps one who deals with eating disorders and addiction?

There are some things posting to a forum can't fix.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take all my anxieties, fears and sorrows to my AA meeting and put them on the table.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I see a therapist once a week. I saw a psychiatrist a couple of times, when I first got sober, but I don't see him any more.

I don't have an eating disorder...just in the past few weeks I have been under a lot of stress in college and food makes me nauseous.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree seeing a doctor is important. Things that have helped my anxiety are cutting out caffeine and googling relaxing music and guided meditations. I also developed a mentality of thinking about things in the bigger scheme of things and stepped back to really see that things fall into place the way they are supposed to. It's good to put effort into positive things, but at the end of the day, I can't make used sick. That's not living life.
One of my favorite relaxing music:
YouTube
Old 03-07-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Guided meditations are one of the best kept secrets out there for anxiety! They might sound like a "weird" thing at first, to those who have never considered them, but what a blessing!!

Josh
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's natural to be off our food when under stress, but if other people are noticing then maybe it would be good to get some support. I know it is very difficult to do while you are actually under pressure though. I found CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy) really good for anxiety. Maybe in the mean time it would be good to try and avoid refined sugars if you can, as sugar crashes will only make things worse. I always felt much calmer when I ate a high protein diet and little sugars. It's amazing what certain foods or lack of them can do to our physical and mental health. If you are still off your food then maybe meal replacement and vitamins could help? Don't let yourself get ill and of course ask your doctor if you are worried x
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

You aren't the first person to attend uni. Yes, it is stressful, and it is doable to learn how to balance life with stress reduction activities and with studying.

Seems like you are creating an eating disorder. You can't or won't eat normal healthy meals, but you will consume ice cream and sweets. Maybe see a nutritionist or do your own research on eating healthfully.

Why not just replace the bad food with healthy food? Eating is a choice, make some good ones and stop using excuses for your poor eating habits. It's time to start treating your body the right way. You can do this or you will end up with some kind of additional problems.

I wish you well,
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You've got a couple of things going on here--the anxiety, and the eating problem that is resulting from it (not that you necessarily have an eating disorder just yet but you could be headed for one).

Have you ever tried yoga? I have gotten away from it, myself, but I found it very good for relaxation. Mindfulness meditation can help a great deal, as well. There may be some groups at school for practicing those disciplines.

And consulting a nutritionist might help with the eating. Maybe smaller, more frequent meals or healthy snacks might be easier on your system than large ones.

Just a couple of ideas.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I have been sober for over a year. I am under a lot of pressure in uni right now and have been binge eating ice cream and sweets - I can't stop. Then the next day, I feel so sick and horrible. It's like being hungover - vomiting and anxiety related nausea. On a regular day, I am also having trouble eating proper meals. I know this is anxiety related. I know I have lost weight. My mom had a right go at me this evening, saying that I was "killing her". She also asked me if I was anorexic...no I am not. I am under a lot of pressure and I have lost my appetite. I used to LOVE my meals, but now I have no interest in food.

My dad said to me this evening "remember your teenage diaries? You had written a lot of things in there about hating yourself after you ate bad food". I guess my whole family has read my diaries, I should have thrown them out. He also said "if you keep this up, we will be getting worried". I feel so angry at this point. If anyone has any advice about anxiety, I would appreciate it. And thanks for reading and letting me vent.
High carb food triggers anxiety for me. I'd try staying away from ice cream and other sugary "comfort food." Caffeine is obvious too, if I drink too much coffee I feel a sense of impending doom.

Are you exercising?