Notices

Vivitrol

Old 03-07-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivitrol

I week ago I had the Vivitrol shot in my tushy...its been amazing that I have NO craving to drink.I am simply AMAZED.Anyone else on SR using this drug to help them get sobriety time under their belts?For those not knowing what Vivitrol is....I copy and pasted

Naltrexone for alcohol or drug dependence
Examples
Generic Name Brand Name
naltrexone ReVia [formerly called Trexan], Vivitrol

Naltrexone is available in pill form. Vivitrol is taken as a shot (injection) into a muscle (intramuscular) once a month.
How It Works

Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist that interferes with the part of the brain involved in producing the pleasure you get from drinking alcohol or taking other drugs.
Why It Is Used

Naltrexone is used to treat alcohol or opioid drug dependence. It reduces the pleasurable effects of alcohol and helps block the effects of narcotic (opioid) drugs, such as heroin. It may help reduce your cravings for opioid drugs.

Naltrexone can be used alone or combined with other medicines that affect the brain, such as medicines for depression or acamprosate. Acamprosate often is used to treat alcohol dependence.
How Well It Works

Most studies show that naltrexone significantly reduces your chance for relapse after you have stopped drinking.2 Naltrexone works best to help you stop drinking if you also get counseling.1

Naltrexone can help prevent drug cravings and relapse, but you still need other treatments, such as counseling, to help you recover from drug addiction.
Side Effects

Naltrexone can cause nausea, dizziness, and fatigue. It also can cause headaches and make you feel anxious, sleepy, or nervous.

See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)
What To Think About

You might develop liver damage if you have liver disease (such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure) and take too much naltrexone.

This medicine will cause withdrawal symptoms if you are taking opioids drugs. If you have taken opioids in the past 7 to 10 days, talk to your doctor before taking naltrexone.

You might need to take naltrexone for several months to effectively prevent relapse.

Vivitrol, a once-a-month injection of this medicine, is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat drinking problems. This form of naltrexone can be useful for people who have a hard time deciding whether to take the medicine each day.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an advisory about injectable forms of naltrexone. You may have a skin reaction at the injection site, the place where the shot is given. Call your doctor if you notice any skin change at the injection site, such as swelling, tenderness, redness, or pain, that does not improve or gets worse within 2 weeks.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take Naltrexone, but my doctor is looking into the shot for my insurance. It does take away the urge to drink for me also.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

How much does it cost?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My insurance picks it up...Im very fortunate.Ive read that its over $1,000
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pills are about $30 a month, shot $1,000 a month
Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me the pills are $80 per month.

I know that I am not paying a grand a month, so if my insurance does not cover the shot, I will stick with the pills.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree....I dids not know that it came in pill form.Anyway it comes it truely works.I have NO alcohol cravings at all