Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

does anyone know what it's like to check into an ER for alcohol AND benzo dependence?

Notices

does anyone know what it's like to check into an ER for alcohol AND benzo dependence?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't do it on my own. I can't even think anymore because I'm under the influence of one or the other 24/7. I have a full-time job, with health benefits.... I don't know if I can do this on my own.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with the US ERs but others will STG.
the bottom line is - if you need to go, just go.

D
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smalltowngirl, it's always detox first then come up with a treatment plan specific to your case.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If your scared enough to post what you did,,,then just go and it will all work out.Asking for help sounds like a good idea!Good luck
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup. Ended up in the behavioral health unit. It was ok. Safe, mostly calm. Helped me get detoxed. I went to rehab following my stay. That was much worse. So over all, not a bad experience.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Detox is the best bet...at least it was for me. Then a plan of action after that is wisest...treatment, etc.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They actually gave me benzos atthe ER to ease my alcohol withdrawals. So you have a double whammy. Please go to the ER, they know what to do.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
High on Life

I have been to detox twice. If you have the health benefits, by all means check yourself in for a few days and clean yourself out. It wasn't bad at all. My friends brought me there in the middle of a binge. I don't know what specifically you want to know. I remember sleeping a hell of a lot, because they keep you drugged up. Imagine going to a place to get off drugs and they give you more drugs. LOL....If you have any specific questions, I can be of more assistance.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

My daughter has been to the ER for xanax withdrawal. You will go into the ER, they will start an IV, ask you questions, administer you meds they think will help, and do a drug screen. Sometime later, a social worker will come in and determine if you are stable enough for an outpatient program, or if you need to go to a residential. If you are over 18, and the social worker deems it necessary for you to go, you will be forced to go, regardless of what you say.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe the er will bring someone in to evaluate you and then bring you to another facility
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

small town

well i worked in ER not in your state but in mine. if you come in do not worry about the police or law, hospitals do not notify them. if they feel you are not able to be released on your own,, they will admit you and observe you on a floor for a day or two. they will give you medications to help your withdrawals and anxiety.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I definitely can't afford to be off work long enough for rehab... I have off work thurs-sat normally and was gonna take off wednesday and sunday as well... (personal, vacation days).... is that enough time?

I mean, I could go out on medical leave, but I can't afford that much time off. I think, personally, an inpatient detox and outpatient treatment would be good enough for me.

I also wanted to ask.... does alcohol cause low blood sugar? I ask because I went to work the next day after drinking, and I felt clammy and dizzy... my blood sugar was 68. I've felt like that other times too.

I take an average of 2 mg of klonopin during the day and drink anywhere from 6-12 beers a night. I'm 27 female and weigh about 120 pounds. I know I'm slowly but surely killing myself. I just can't stop, alcohol masks my feelings and klonopin rids me of withdrawals.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Detox is the best bet...at least it was for me. Then a plan of action after that is wisest...treatment, etc.
That makes two of us. In my experience in detox they will address your addictions and help you with the withdrawl process, if you remember to be honest about them about everything that's key. I followed up with treatment immediately. It was tough, but so so glad I did it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have been seeing a my doc for almost a year with no progress made. My dad kind of freaked out and took me to the ER. I have meds for withdrawal and told him that. They checked me out, took blood and urine samples, gave me valium (apparently, I appeared agitated). After a couple of hours in hospital jammies, most would be. At the end, I was not admitted for detox. Told that while my levels weren't good, I wasn't going to die tomorrow. They finally sent in the social worker who more or less backhanded me and gave me in patient and out patient resources. I figure I spent a grand to confirm what I alreadly know. I have work related obligations for the next couple of months causing huge amounts of stress and in my own mind, giving me what I see as a reason to drink to get a few hours a day away from the madness. I have this time to try and stop or my doc is suggesting in patient once my work obligations get handled. Man, am I really tired. Kind of like a book I just read where the author says that at 15 and you are getting drunk for the first time, you tell yourself, I can hardly wait to be in my late 40s with a serious drinking problem.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you are over 18, and the social worker deems it necessary for you to go, you will be forced to go, regardless of what you say.

Really?

I find this hard to believe. The state that you live in is not going to pay for this.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

YES....U go to the er and they will keep u until they can find a detox center for u in your area. Some hospitals have them right in that hospital. They may "help" u to feel comfortable while u wait, but most likely not, because that is NOT their speciality. DETOXING is the first step, but uu need a program in place before u leave detox. GOOD LUCK!!! been there many of times......
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have an Employee Assistance Program at work? Try there.

Or get medical leave.

Please do help yourself!!

Hugs,
~SB
Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Does not work that way where I live as they do not provide inpatient detox at all. If you go to the ER here theft will get your bac down, give you fluids and maybe Ativan for dt symptoms. They may send you home with an RX for a few days to help with dt's but thy tell you to follow up with your md and give you numbers for counseling and programs offered elsewhere. Only way to get inpatient is if you say you are suicidal then they put you in the psyche ward.