Notices

After 10 years I think I have done it!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry After 10 years I think I have done it!!!

Well after 10 years of drinking between a 70cl and litre of vodka every day I have given up. To be honest it hasn't been difficult. The daily toll of drinking had finally got to me and I felt as though I was forcing myself to drink stupid as it seems. I lost my driving license 4 years ago and need to get it back asap. I am worried what I have done to my body in the drinking days. I need to complete a medical test before they will give my license back and am wondering how long to wait after abstinence to sit the test. If I fail they will make me wait another year to sit. Has anyone been in this situation and could give me some advice? I am in the UK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Well, I don't know just what they will be looking for in the medical test. But just be honest with yourself about why you have stopped drinking. Is it because you really know that you are killing yourself and you need to quit, or is it just to get the DL's back? I have seen a lot of people in meetings because it was court mandated and they were trying to stay out of jail, only to go back to drinking once the legal battle is over.

Good luck on the medical test and getting your DL's back. But remember, staying clean & sober... or not... is about life...or NOT!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dave

I am doing this for my health as well as to try and get some sort of normality back to my life. I am not doing this for any legal reason and do not attend AA or any other meetings as I do not find these helpful.

thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you can get your healthy and normality back by just not drinking good luck to ya.
But You sound like me a daily drinker for ten years. and not just a sip here and there everyday, ALOT.
I begged for things to be normal.

Now sober I can say that if you didnt find meeting helpful you didnt wait long enough for the miracle to happen. It will happen.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply Whiskeyman I was actually reading some of your posts last night. I tried AA before and just couldn't identify with it. Good luck to all that do find AA an effective method of treatment. I am still wondering about the length of sobriety needed to attempt to pass a LFT.

thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kelz

I have no idea - I don't know on what medical grounds they could knock you back on.

that kind of info is usually somewhere on the Dept of Transport website, (or whatever it's called in the UK )

best of luck - and congratulations on your sobriety.

D
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelz View Post
Whiskeyman I was actually reading some of your posts last night.
i hope i have been helpful in the past.