Notices

I Got Pulled Over First Time Since DWI

Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wil

I Got Pulled Over First Time Since DWI

I was driving to work, it was 7:30am and I get pulled over for a legit, but ticky tack reason. He really went out of his way to come get me; he worked hard. Man it gave me a flashback to that late night/early morning when I got my first and only DWI. If it wasn't for nerve calming pills I'd still be shaking right now. I didn't quit drinking because of DWI, in fact it probably caused me to drink more because it put my life in such a hole that was very hard to dig out of. I had quite a depression after it.

Anyway, just a warning I was given, but I still resentment toward the trooper. I'm a teacher and I get plenty of rewards from the kids daily and I enjoy my job, but I don't understand a person that wants to dedicate their life to "serving the law" out to those citizens that don't follow it. It's a power trip for them IMHO. Billy bad asses they all are.

I needed to tell someone, so I decided to tell my brothers and sisters on my Sobriety board. Y'all have a good day!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Wil, the trooper is just doing his/her job. If we didn't have laws and those people out there enforcing those laws, this country would be no better than any other 3rd world country on the planet. It would be total chaos.

The trooper only gave you a warning. You should be greatful. Be Happy!

Just remember, those of use who have long-term addictions are the creators of our own drama. People have learned over the years not to trust us because of our sickness/addiction. It's not other peoples fault. We dug our hole and it will take YEARS to fill it in - if ever. God Bless!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If it was such a power trip for him, he'd have given you a ticket. You don't say why you were pulled over, but he was kind enough to just give you a warning, allowing you to fix whatever was wrong.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

I don't know what things are like over there but after my drunk driving conviction, when I started driving again, sober, I had a couple of years when I was regularly being stopped. It has eased way off now. Realistically as you say you got off with a warning on a legit matter. How you react to that is probably more important. While I can understand the resentment, for me it was a sense of indignation, the most important thing in the end is to not let things like that lead to drink.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wil

I was treated fairly until he came back from running my license and then he begins to question me about where I'm going. I say work. He asks where I work, I say what school and then I tell him everything else he might want to know about my work and he says "Sounds good". I knew I was gonna get a treatment of suspicion once he saw I had A DWI on my record from 6 years ago. I figured it's freaking 7:30 in the morning, I'm clean shaven, wearing a collared shirt, drinking coffee, my car may suck, but I look to be an upstanding citizen. It was such a flashback to that horrible night I got arrested I am thankful for a warning and him getting me on my way, but the state troopers in my area are just a little too aggressive and have made a name for themselves for being ticky tack for pulling someone over. My wife was pulled over once for going 74 in a 70. that's a little much.

I could not derive any enjoyment being a cop. The only thing that could be enjoyed is the power they have over us commoners. they get treated better around town so us regular folks might catch a break one day if we find ourselves pulled over.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had three DUIs and cops are human. They feel responsible for making the roads safe because that is their job. Some are jerks, but so is everyone else in the world. Sounds like he gave you a break.

I have had blue lights come up behind me now that I am sober, and it has scared the crap out of me even though I haven't done anything wrong. They were after someone else both times.

I think it is easy for them to become jaded because of all the people they come across.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think most will not pull you over from running your plates and seeing you have a dwi. They have no reason to pull you over. They want to pull you over if you have a unpaid ticket or a warrant. They cant tell what your record is if they dont run your plate. Its actually illegal just to pull someone over without probable cause. If they see you come out of a bar, that is actually not probable cause but a lot of cops will lie and say you were swerving in attempt to get a dwi. Most cops are just regualr guys not out there to harass people in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

With all due respect, it sounds like a resentment that you can do without. Our alcoholism thrives on resentment, amongst other things. Like the other wonderful responses have mentioned, perhaps letting it pass will give way to serenity. I know that when I get pulled over, I am thankful that they pull me over - they are doing their job and preventing dangerous drivers and potentially dangerous drivers from being on the roads. And I say this as someone who got arrested for a DUI. In fact, I call the cops that arrested me and the people who called 911 because of my driving guardian angels. They stopped me from potentially killing myself, my son and someone else out there.

Gratitude.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just found this section and saw this post. Four months ago I got a DUI and had to take mandatory DUI classes. The instructor said that if a cop runs your plates and sees that you had a DUI, they will find a reason to stop you. For example, could say it looks like you crossed the center light ever so slightly, or slightly swerved, or appear to have a light out, etc. anything they can come up with. He told my class to get used to it.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

wil, I relate to getting a DUI and then the drinking increased. The laws regarding drunk driving are meant to be punishing so you "learn a lesson". Of course, if they helped then there would not be folks with 3, 4 or even 5 DUI's. Society likes to look down on the drunk driver also. This is just my experience with this. Of course, now the latest danger on the road is the "texting driver". The only regret I have concerning my DUI's is that I got caught. I'm sober now & have big things happening in my life but I do still hold onto this resentment.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Jf1,

Just because some people (probably most of them alcoholics) get repeated DUIs does not mean the laws and punishments don't work. They do deter a lot of nonalcoholics from driving after drinking, and quite a few alcoholics, too. I know I was much more blithe about driving when I should not before the laws became so strict.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ANYTIME I see the red and blue lights I have flash backs also....glad it went your way though!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a DUI 6 years ago, and I LOVE having a cop pull in behind me now...I'm insured, registered and SOBER! I consider it a victory when they pull out, and I can smile...hell, I'd take a tail light or failure to turn signal with a smile after that DUI...As we say down South when things fall into place, "Clean Livin'"
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

But, they are revenue farming and that is not right. I have had enough conversations with police to know they want action and money. Drunk or sober, I can't get far enough away from the man.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wil, I just want to chime in to say that I do realize that the officers or only doing their jobs, but I also understand exactly what you mean. I do not have a DUI (only by luck, ashamed to say) but I know that each time I have been pulled over in my life, I have felt much like you...that it was more of a power trip than "doing their job". I think that we, as humans adults - alcoholics or not, feel very out of place and resentful when we are admonished in a situation like that, even if logically they are only "doing their job".
Try not to let it get you down and be grateful for the warning and not an expensive ticket!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about anyone else....

I never drove drunk....because I never drove...but I was certainly a passenger in the front seat of a car driven by someone drunk or stoned many many MANY times.

I must be the luckiest man on earth - truly. Not because I never got pulled up, but because we never killed ourselves or someone else.

I commend the increased police presence these days - if it saves one life? I think it's worth it, and worth 5 minutes of hassle getting pulled up.

D