Notices

Why I'm here

Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why I'm here

I'm def a newb here and have found a lot of great information, personal stories & advice. The interaction and support is great. Despite the openness around here, I feel like I'm hiding something from the group and just want to put it out there to get some thoughts.

Over the years, I've noticed that my drinking has increased (esp. after having kids). I recently did some online research to find out why I've been sweating significantly in my sleep whenever I did not have any alc. I was surprised to find that it's a withdrawal symptom. My regular intake was to drink 4-5 nights out of the week. This weekly intake translated into a bottle (750ml) of liquor and a 12 pack of beer in the weekly recycle bin (sometimes more depending on holidays, stress, etc...).

Alcoholism does run in the extended family and my personality certainly makes me prone to drinking. Aside from drinking for fun and relaxing, I realize that I also use alc as a coping mechanism for certain stressors (emotional & physical).

I'm here because I want to abstain from alc for a solid 28 weeks (196 days). My wife and I have a trip to Jamaica planned in the fall and I decided that I wanted to abstain until that point. I haven't gone over a month without since I was 21 (35 now). I want to clear my head, loose a few pounds, get into an exercise routine, and get back to an alc-free baseline. I want to see how I manage this abstinence period and learn a few things about myself along the way.

I realize that the vast majority of peeps in the group are here to quit for good. There are only a few others who are experimenting with abstinence for specified time periods. I guess my question is: is this the right place for me to find support? I don't want my situation or goals to interfere with anyone's determination for life long recovery. If the consensus is for me to **** off, I will with no hurt feelings.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. If you had come here wondering if you were an alcoholic, I, among others, would tell you to quit for while and see how it goes. You seem to be making that choice on your own. Good. Normal drinkers should have no problems. Alcoholics will struggle.

I had to quit. I had punched my moderation card long ago. I'm not sure what you plan is once this "sober" period is over. Controlled drinking? Moderation? If you can manage that, you aren't an alcoholic or serious problem drinker.

But if you are, you will discover there is no control or moderation for us.

But the journey is yours to walk and discover on your own. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish you luck and hope things work out the way you have planned!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

speaking for myself, i have no idea if i will drink tomorrow...all i know is i am not drinking right now. i cant predict the future, but i have had over three years of not drinking. best wishes to you, and i hope you find what i have found. that, life is much better without booze (and pills : )
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....of course you are welcome here, we are all finding things out about ourselves..this website is a wealth of knowledge, experience and discussion.

You never know what you may learn about yourself and how you may change in 28 weeks.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will find so much support and information here. You should be very happy you are able to see yourself clearly enough to want to make a change. I'm in a similar boat. I'm not saying I will never drink again but it was getting out of hand and I too had the night sweats.

That said it has been 10 days without a drink, I started doing yoga everyday and the more positive healthy choices I make, the more happy, content and high on life I feel. I don't even want to drink. Sure I get severe cravings but I don't want to mess up this amazing new clear headed, healthy feeling I have.

I want to find out who I am without booze. I feel as though you do too. Be prepared for some strange emotions that will come up that you will have to face without numbing them out with alcohol.

Best of luck!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Why only 7 months?

It's not a very long time for true sobriety....
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck with determining what is best for you.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

JesseJe: today is my 10 day mark and I woke up in a good mood and a lot of energy this morning, which is unusual for me. I also had energy last night after work when making dinner so I didn't need a cup of coffee to get through the night. Can't wait until l phase in the exercise! Do you have a time period that you're looking to start with, or just taking it 1 day at a time?

Sugarbear1: Yes, just starting with the 28 weeks. At the end of that time, my wife and I are going to spend our 5 year anniversary at the resort that we went to for our honeymoon. Family will be watching the kids so we can have time to ourselves. The resort is an all inclusive so I will, more than likely, be drinking alcohol.

I want to use this abstinence period to learn about myself and my relationship with alcohol. I want to manage this time period on my own without alcohol and assess my responses to the good and bad things that happen. I want to cut all those calories out of my diet and start hitting the treadmill again. What will happen after the trip? I don't yet know.