Notices

Having a very difficult time...

Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a very difficult time...

Hello everyone! I just joined this site today and I desperately want to stop drinking. My liver counts are in the 100's and I have to stop. I tried to and even going 24 hours is very difficult. Please help! Anyone who has been through this and can just help get through this first week would be much appreciated. Keep in mind I have a full time job and two toddlers. I'm so scared...
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We're similar in having a full time job and kids. I've got 1 toddler and 1 baby. One thing I did notice that my drinking did increase with kids. I do find that I use alcohol as a coping mechanism to deal with stress (emotional and physical). I never got to the point to where I was drinking daily, just that I drank more than average when I did drink.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Do stick around here!!!

My problem is with pain pills, not alcohol but there are LOTS of folks and LOTS of strength and good advice on this site.

Hang in there!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

Make contact with local resources and keep posting.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

You can do this!! As some say to me "JUST DONT DRINK"! Sounds too simple but there are techniques that can help such as distractions, play with the kids, do a chore, etc...
The urge WILL pass, and when it comes back, do the same thing! It does work. I am sure you will get great advice here, I am too early being sober to be of much help but I am here to support you.

Patrick
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe you have to substitute a healthy coping mechanism for the drinking.
Consider trying yoga or meditation. It's the only reason I can stop drinking. Or find something similar. I wish you the best of luck. It is worth it once you plough through the mud I'm positive.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Although it does not seem like it at the moment, life with two toddlers and a full time job will get a lot easier when you give up the drink.

No more hangovers to deal with.
Better sleep.
Less health scares to contend with.
No more/less liver worries.
No clock watching to see when you can drink again.
No worrying if you are over the limit at work or when you drive the next day.

Get yourself a few days of not drinking behind you, you will feel less anxious, you will feel stronger.
Could you have a word with your doctor and let him/her know how you feel and see if there is anything that can be done to help these first few days.

This is one of the great lies that alcohol wants us to believe.
That is makes dealing with kids, bad days at work, debt, nerves, sleep, worries, family problems, whatever, easier.
It's a big con.
Don't fall for it.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ecams
lots of good suggestions here.

D
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
That is makes dealing with kids, bad days at work, debt, nerves, sleep, worries, family problems, whatever, easier.
It's a big con.
Don't fall for it.
I like the idea of referring to it as a con. That is exactly what it is. Simplifies it beautifully.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Although it does not seem like it at the moment, life with two toddlers and a full time job will get a lot easier when you give up the drink.

No more hangovers to deal with.
Better sleep.
Less health scares to contend with.
No more/less liver worries.
No clock watching to see when you can drink again.
No worrying if you are over the limit at work or when you drive the next day.

Get yourself a few days of not drinking behind you, you will feel less anxious, you will feel stronger.
Could you have a word with your doctor and let him/her know how you feel and see if there is anything that can be done to help these first few days.

It's a big con.
Don't fall for it.
Beautifully put and almost brought me to tears. Thank you for your wonderful words or wisdom.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

Look, the best thing you can do right now is seek help! Check into a good rehab facility NOW! I know you have kids, so do a lot of other people who check in. This is about life and death and suffering!

I do not like hurting people's feelings or making them mad, but sometimes that is what it takes. Your kids deserve a parent who is not an alcoholic. Find family members who will watch the kids and check ing some where. Then when you get out, start attending meeting. This is pretty much the only way it will work. Trust me!! I Know!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My experience was that life didnt just get better when I tried to stop drinking. Things continued to get worse and I would eventually drink again. I felt that being drunk was a better alternative to the fear anxiety, depression, anger and boredom that consumed me everytime I was sober. almost 5 years ago I finally broke that vicious cycle when I started AA. I not only got sober, but was enjoying sobriety in just a short time after beginning the 12 steps of AA. Life continues to get better and when difficulties have come, drinking has never been an option.

I wish you the best. You can recover for good!