Notices

"One song at a time" (BJ Armstrong)

Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

"One song at a time" (BJ Armstrong)

There's a great cover story in this month's Rolling Stone about Billie Joe Armstrong's (lead singer for Green Day) recovery from alcoholism and prescription pill abuse following his very public "meltdown" at the Las Vegas "I Heart Radio" show last year, which resulted in suspension of their planned tour and messing up the release of three new albums. (He says the Las Vegas show was almost a complete blackout--he only remembers moments here and there.)

Sounds like he has quite a bit of insight into his disease. He did not discuss his recovery program in detail (of course, if he is in AA, he should not publicly discuss that), but I felt a little bit leery about their resuming the tour this month. His strategy for staying sober on the tour sounded a little on the iffy side, though he certainly isn't obligated to disclose all the details of that--for all I know he may have a bunch of support people he will stay in touch with. He's got a very close-knit and supportive family, and his bandmates are very concerned and supportive, too, so he does have those things going for him.

I've been a huge Green Day fan for years now, and have tickets to see them next month in Philadelphia. BJ has always had a reputation for drinking a lot, and some of the things he has done always made me concerned about him. I hope he hooks in with other performers who are sober, who can help him manage the pressures involved in that kind of environment.

I'm rooting for him. When asked about the next albums he has planned, he said he will take things "one song at a time."
Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love Green Day as well and was sad to hear of his problems. I will be picking up this article. I can't imagine trying to stay sober in the environment he is in but life does go on. Wishing the very best for him.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Great post...I have never seen that meltdown until just now. I have felt that rage before in a blackout, or at other times. It's disturbing and powerful and just sad to have that sort of emotions at almost all times...and that's how I lived, to be sure. I was afraid of my own anger, as it never, ever was released or dealt with in a healthy manner.

I hope that he stays sober too.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very possible to be both a rock muso and recovered - I hope he makes the transition

D